PDA

View Full Version : Apple now allows iPod shuffle to be engraved

MacBytes
Oct 4, 2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple now allows iPod shuffle to be engraved (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051004174256)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Oct 4, 2005, 05:37 PM
One of the often-forgotten benefits of an iPod. Good for theft deterrence, recovery after losing it, for gifts, or just for fun.

And free!

illegalprelude
Oct 4, 2005, 05:49 PM
One of the often-forgotten benefits of an iPod. Good for theft deterrence, recovery after losing it, for gifts, or just for fun.

And free!

i dunno about Benifit or being recovered...its not like your best friend stole it or the kid who sits in the same class next you and your like "OMG, turn that iPod around. SEE my name ingraved in it!!!".

its just a fun option and like you said, cool for gifts and such

PlaceofDis
Oct 4, 2005, 05:51 PM
:: yawn ::

didn't i hear about this like a week ago? aren't there two other threads on this already? :D

ahuman7341
Oct 4, 2005, 06:03 PM
i first saw it the day the nano came out, this is old news.

nagromme
Oct 4, 2005, 07:32 PM
Of course it has recovery value. Mainly for accidental loss. Dropping/forgetting it. If your email address or whatever is on there, then any honest person would contact you. Chances of the person who finds your iPod being honest aren't THAT bad :o

In the case of intentional theft, having contact info on it makes it less valuable--anybody who sees it MIGHT contact you. Not appealing to a thief.

(And this news is the shuffle--plastic--not the nano.)

iDM
Oct 4, 2005, 07:39 PM
I think what alot of people never realize about engraving is the business/profit benefit for Apple.

This is just a theory of mine, but imagine all the people that get engravings that say personal messages. Hell all most all of them are personal.

"Congrats Angel"
"I love you smoopy"
"To our little tinkerbell"
"I like S&M"

etc. etc.

These thus hold no resale value, meaning people can't sell them on ebay,give them to family or friends. Thus making some people *not all* from buying a brand spanking new one from Apple.

Some people may disagree that this is a reason, but i guarantee Apple makes more money from the profits of new iPods sold, because other ones couldn't be resold, then they spend on engraving. I guess thats hard to understand but i think some will get it.

MacFan782040
Oct 4, 2005, 08:30 PM
I think what alot of people never realize about engraving is the business/profit benefit for Apple.

This is just a theory of mine, but imagine all the people that get engravings that say personal messages. Hell all most all of them are personal.

"Congrats Angel"
"I love you smoopy"
"To our little tinkerbell"
"I like S&M"

etc. etc.

These thus hold no resale value, meaning people can't sell them on ebay,give them to family or friends. Thus making some people *not all* from buying a brand spanking new one from Apple.

Some people may disagree that this is a reason, but i guarantee Apple makes more money from the profits of new iPods sold, because other ones couldn't be resold, then they spend on engraving. I guess thats hard to understand but i think some will get it.

Exactly. Why do you think they encourage *free* engraving?

PlaceofDis
Oct 4, 2005, 08:32 PM
Exactly. Why do you think they encourage *free* engraving?

so they have an excuse when your iPod isnt shipped on time? :D :p

ITASOR
Oct 4, 2005, 08:37 PM
I think the engraving on the side like that looks corny. I would never have it engraved. :(

virus1
Oct 5, 2005, 12:42 AM
i agree with every post above me. my 2 cents alias.

nagromme
Oct 5, 2005, 11:14 AM
I think the number of people who would actually sell their iPod anyway is a FRACTION of the buyers. Most people keep them or give them to a family member or use them until they stop working.

I see no evil scheme here. It's just an option that Apple offers which people like to take advantage of.

solvs
Oct 5, 2005, 01:24 PM
"I love you smoopy"
I can guarantee that no one who sees that will steal it. Or if they do, they'd buy a case for it and never take it off.

whooleytoo
Oct 5, 2005, 08:22 PM

But..but.. Isn't that why Apple built them with dud batteries in the first place?? :p