PDA

View Full Version : Macbook air coffee spill left side

Walruswagon
Jan 20, 2013, 08:31 AM
I just spilled a small amount of coffee with milk, no sugar on the very top left of my macbook air(13 inches). It was fine immediately after, i cleaned it put and shut it down as fast as I could (had to wait for my database, word etc. files to save and turn off safely so ai wouldn't lose data). I turned it upside down and dried it with my hair dryer, removed the charger. The keys are not sticky (it spilled on the esc. Key, the brightness decreasing key). I am in Germany now where there is no Apple store nearby. i am wondering what people think and recommend -- does it sound like the air will be fine after a few hours of being turned off, or will it likely be fried after a day or few? Are there any other preventative measures I can take?

Thanks!

justperry
Jan 20, 2013, 08:41 AM
So, you care more about a bit of lost work than an expensive mac.:p

The best way overall is to open it up and clean it, this is a lot of work but if liquids like this go inside they slowly do their damage.
What some people do here is to leave the Mac in a sack of rice so it absorbs all moisture.

Walruswagon
Jan 20, 2013, 08:48 AM
I unfortunately don't have a sack of rice handy and in Germany most grocery stores are closed where I am...Would leaving it in a fridge help at all?

justperry
Jan 20, 2013, 08:55 AM
I unfortunately don't have a sack of rice handy and in Germany most grocery stores are closed where I am...Would leaving it in a fridge help at all?

Hmmm, my fridge here works with a fan unlike most fridges, many fridges are humid inside, won't recommend it.

Most of the time the problem is when water enters it leaves "corrosion" and residue on the Logic board behind and many times the damage will take a bit of time.
That is, if it's just a little, if it's soaked you will see immediate problems.

Walruswagon
Jan 20, 2013, 09:02 AM
Ok. Thanks! Well, i took your advice and used the next best thing to rice that I had -- quinoa, a smaller grain. Needless to say, that was a foolish idea as several grains got into the fan area (the opening at the back). Hopefully this won't be too damaging...

I am wondering how long you'd recommend waiting to try and turn it on and test if anything is awry? Would a few hours be fine or would you recommend several days?

Thanks!

KPOM
Jan 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
I'd leave it off for at least 24-48 hours to make sure that it is completely dry. For the future, avoid a blowdryer since that can spread water around. My suggestion would be to take it to an Apple Store or authorized Apple service center when you have a chance, and have them clean it out.

iPhysicist
Jan 20, 2013, 09:41 AM
A little advice in german:

Wenn du die Möglichkeit hast öffne den Bodendeckel und beseitige alle Unreinheiten die dir begegnen mit einem Pinsel. Wenn der Mac richtig aus ist kannst du auch mit einem Stück "Wisch und Weg" abtupfen. Nicht reiben. Die Leiterplatten sind lackiert und sollten keinen Schaden nehmen. Was zu unterbinden ist sind Kontakte zwischen den Lötpunkten, deswegen der Pinsel. (Die Reissache ist gut, schalte aber nicht ein bevor du sicher bist das drinnen kein reis mehr ist ;-)) Viel Glück.

53x12
Jan 20, 2013, 10:40 AM
I just spilled a small amount of coffee with milk, no sugar on the very top left of my macbook air(13 inches). It was fine immediately after, i cleaned it put and shut it down as fast as I could (had to wait for my database, word etc. files to save and turn off safely so ai wouldn't lose data). I turned it upside down and dried it with my hair dryer, removed the charger. The keys are not sticky (it spilled on the esc. Key, the brightness decreasing key). I am in Germany now where there is no Apple store nearby. i am wondering what people think and recommend -- does it sound like the air will be fine after a few hours of being turned off, or will it likely be fried after a day or few? Are there any other preventative measures I can take?

Thanks!

Milk has natural sugar in it (Lactose). You might be in trouble regardless as the sugary content of the milk will cause residue to be left behind. Have you opened up the computer to see the extent of the damage?

coldjeanzzz
Jan 20, 2013, 12:10 PM
Word of advice: Don't use a hair dryer on your electronics