Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Okay, so I have a 4s. Will be the owner of an ipad 4 come next Saturday. I've got itunes set to not auto-sync up when connecting a device.

How will this work when connecting the ipad for the first time? It is a simple as selecting the apps I want (universal apps that have been downloaded already) and drag and drop music? Then sync up and itunes creates a separate profile for the ipad? I'm sure it will be obvious to myself when I do plug it in but wondering if there was any advice and if any of the above is correct?

Also been told I'm better of d/l ipad apps directly from itunes. Is that possible if I've already d/l them for the iphone?

I guess info for apps (save games, p/w, settings) don't always work and update across both devices?

cheers

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yes, it will be that easy. You do have the option of restoring the iPad from an iPhone backup, but I don't recommend that as your settings aren't restored over, just your apps.

I recommend starting completely fresh. Don't even plug in to iTunes at all. Just download the apps you want from the App Store. Of course if you don't use iTunes Match and want some music on there that isn't from the iTunes Store, you'll need to sync with iTunes to get that media on your iPad.

Which ever way you choose will be easy. If you want to sync over your apps & music from iTunes, it'll be just as easy as your 4S. I do recommend using iCloud for backups though. For backups you can either plug in to iTunes and backup or let iCloud do it automatically everyday as long as it's plugged in and on Wi-Fi. The problem I have with backing up to iTunes is that unless you sync daily, you will not have a current backup in the event you need to restore.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Ah, okay. So fire up the ipad (use my existing itunes account) and simply download my app onto the ipad directly from the app store - then I can sync up (via cloud or physically) to create a backup.

Lovely.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Ah, okay. So fire up the ipad (use my existing itunes account) and simply download my app onto the ipad directly from the app store - then I can sync up (via cloud or physically) to create a backup.

Lovely.

You got it. If you have questions later, post them here and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Thanks.

Another daft question.

Say I d/l all the apps I want directly from app store onto the ipad without connecting to pc and itunes...if I choose to back up via the pc and itunes...when I backup/sync the device does it create a completely separate profile (which I'm sure it does) but also duplicate the apps downloaded - so I end up with app backups duplicated (and taking up more hard drive space)?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks.

Another daft question.

Say I d/l all the apps I want directly from app store onto the ipad without connecting to pc and itunes...if I choose to back up via the pc and itunes...when I backup/sync the device does it create a completely separate profile (which I'm sure it does) but also duplicate the apps downloaded - so I end up with app backups duplicated (and taking up more hard drive space)?

No, apps won't be duplicated. If an app is already on your computer, then iTunes will recognize that and will not copy them over from your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.