Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Im trying right now to watch some tutorial videos on You Tube. They are slow to start and then pause, run short time, pause again with a spinning wheel the entire time. And then some videos run smoothly from start to finish. I did not notice this before the latest 6.1 upgrade. I double click my Home button and close all open apps but that doesnt help. I have an Ipad 4. Is there anything I can do, change a setting, maybe or do all Ipads do this?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
6.1 isn't available publicly yet. Are you a developer?

My iPad mini plays them just fine through the YouTube app. Have you ran a speed test? A lot of times when people are having issues with YT, it has been their speed isn't very fast.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
No, i meant 6.0.1. I never heard of a speed test. How do i do that and what numbers would be good.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Download Speed Test from the App Store and run it. The numbers that are good are up to your Internet Service Provider and what package you have. To get smooth playing HD videos, you'll probably want something over 3-4 Mpbs. I've seen issues in the past with 2 Mpbs connections while trying to watch YT videos. You can also try watching the videos in SD if your Internet isn't getting good speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.