PDA

View Full Version : Static shocks




filmbuff
Jan 21, 2013, 11:34 AM
This is a problem I never had with my big plastic HP laptop: every time I sit down and touch my computer I get a huge static shock. The air is so cold and dry up here that it is basically unavoidable. What are the chances that I' going to shock my MBA to death? The metal body should help, right?



Xgm541
Jan 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
You should be fine. Try touching another metal surface before you touch your mba to get rid of the static. Another option is to stop wearing socks and rubbing your feet on your carpet!!

Jimbo47
Jan 21, 2013, 01:01 PM
This happens to me all the time. I would guess as long as none of the internals are being touched directly, it shouldn't be a problem. The shock is probably dissipated somewhere without causing any harm.

Mrbobb
Jan 21, 2013, 01:06 PM
The fix is in your environment, not the machine. Perhaps a nice humidifier?

Just for grins, turn the AC plug 180 degree (if not a polarized plug) see if it does anything.