PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Estimates for 21.5-Inch iMac Begin Slipping to 2-3 Weeks

MacRumors
Jan 21, 2013, 12:19 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/21/shipping-estimates-for-21-5-inch-imac-begin-slipping-to-2-3-weeks/)

Shipping estimates for new orders of 21.5-inch iMac models began slipping in Apple's online stores in many European countries such as the United Kingdom (http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac) today, moving from 7-10 business days to 2-3 weeks. The changes have not yet propagated to stores for other regions.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/imac_21_2012_2_3_weeks.jpg
Estimates for the 21.5-inch models had remained steady at 7-10 business days since just after they became available for sale late last year. Apple has also been quoting even longer estimates for the 27-inch models, which are reportedly seeing more significant issues with display production due to a new lamination process. Estimates for new 27-inch iMac orders remain at 3-4 weeks for the time being, essentially in line with their status since just after pre-orders went live (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/30/shipping-estimates-for-new-27-inch-imac-already-slip-to-3-4-weeks/).

(Thanks, Neil!)

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for 21.5-Inch iMac Begin Slipping to 2-3 Weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/21/shipping-estimates-for-21-5-inch-imac-begin-slipping-to-2-3-weeks/)

Rudy69
Jan 21, 2013, 12:25 PM
*hugs my 2012 27" iMac* :D

applesith
Jan 21, 2013, 12:25 PM
I guess they haven't fixed the screen production difficulties.

Christoffee
Jan 21, 2013, 12:46 PM
It's the snow!

Jan 21, 2013, 12:57 PM

Nope, it's just Cook's terrible mistake in accepting a position he was never ready for - it's as if Apple has no COO right now.

inlinevolvo
Jan 21, 2013, 01:00 PM
Finally got to see these at the apple store recently and the first thing I noticed was how awful the display looked compared to my retina mbp. Would have loved to see an upgrade here, but I realize doubling the pixels on the 27 inch model will be no easy feat, let alone the hardware needed to drive it.

Gasu E.
Jan 21, 2013, 01:01 PM
*hugs my 2012 27" iMac* :D

That was so last year.

Codyak
Jan 21, 2013, 01:03 PM
Finally got to see these at the apple store recently and the first thing I noticed was how awful the display looked compared to my retina mbp. Would have loved to see an upgrade here, but I realize doubling the pixels on the 27 inch model will be no easy feat, let alone the hardware needed to drive it.

I noticed the same as well. I was in there to get a motherboard replaced for my rMBP and I played around with the 21 inch and I couldn't believe how bad it looked.

applesith
Jan 21, 2013, 01:03 PM
Nope, it's just Cook's terrible mistake in accepting a position he was never ready for - it's as if Apple has no COO right now.

Yes because this is the first time Apple has had long delays with the first generation of a new build. :rolleyes:

Apple fanboy
Jan 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
Still order them guys, it's worth the wait!

Using my special iMac now. After spending the day on my crappy PC at work, it's nice to come home to a good looking, easy to use, quick silent machine.

rmwebs
Jan 21, 2013, 01:10 PM
Given that you clearly have a lot more knowledge on who's a good choice to run Apple, who would you have running it right now?

The way I see it, Tim was the only logical choice. He'd already run the company for a short stint in 2004, then from pretty much 2009 onwards.

It's way too early to decide if he's a good candidate as Apple is well known for having a long roadmap. However even since he took the position on, he's reinstated charitable giving programs, got rid of the bad eggs (namely Forstall), got the right group of staff into the right roles (e.g putting Ive in charge of Human Interface) and made a commitment to bringing production back to Apples home country.

None of these things would have happened under Steve. That much we know from the history of the company.

Sure, he's made some pretty glaring mistakes (e.g hiring Browlett) however some of the perceived mistakes cant really be attributed to him. Maps for example - that wasn't something that would have been decided shortly before it was released, Apple would have been working on that for a good few years, and whilst that doesn't excuse it being released in a half-assed state, he made right by ditching the people in charge of getting Maps to market, and putting someone in charge who had a good track record of getting the job done.

He could turn out to be the worse CEO ever. But we wont know yet - give it at least 2 years.

----------

Once you go retina, you wont go back :p

I've had my rMBP sitting next to 2 standard monitors...I ordered a new monitor arm last week so I can move one of the monitors over to the side and use the rMPB screen as my main one - its just so friggin' beautiful! :D

Other than screen size though, there's really no purpose for the iMac anymore. I've always been a desktop guy but to be honest, having moved from a Mac Pro to the rMBP it's just so much more convenient.

Mike MA
Jan 21, 2013, 01:13 PM
I think in this particularly case Apple made a mistake with the early presentation last year.

I mean, in contrary to the long waiting times for iOS devices which are mostly caused by their great popularity, the issue this time clearly is some kind of mismanagement. If a supplier isn't able to provide enough quality AND quantity, you have to wait until he can deal with it or change horses!

Besides, I still think the latest iMac is some great device!

lolkthxbai
Jan 21, 2013, 01:22 PM
I think most of the people that are not too impressed by the new iMac might just be a combination of expecting a retina display and/or being so used to retina displays on their iPhone, iPad and most recently the rMPB

jonnysods
Jan 21, 2013, 01:22 PM
Man they are having a hard time pumping those things out!

Diode
Jan 21, 2013, 01:30 PM
Still waiting on mine. Ordered Jan 9th and it just finally hit "preparing for shipment" over the weekend.

mikeorchard
Jan 21, 2013, 02:00 PM
But Apple's estimates are never accurate.

I ordered my top end 21.5" with Fusion on the 11th January and I had it by the 16th, when they had estimated 23rd-28th January.

----------

Other than screen size though, there's really no purpose for the iMac anymore. I've always been a desktop guy but to be honest, having moved from a Mac Pro to the rMBP it's just so much more convenient.

Apart from the 525 price difference, sure thing bro.

iLondoner
Jan 21, 2013, 02:16 PM
The increased production time could, of course, be down to increased demand, especially from businesses now that the holidays are behind us... :)

rmwebs
Jan 21, 2013, 02:36 PM
But Apple's estimates are never accurate.

I ordered my top end 21.5" with Fusion on the 11th January and I had it by the 16th, when they had estimated 23rd-28th January.

----------

Apart from the 525 price difference, sure thing bro.

If the price is the problem there's always the Air. Bro... ;)

mikeorchard
Jan 21, 2013, 02:41 PM
If the price is the problem there's always the Air. Bro... ;)

But the iMac has a much bigger screen, more storage, faster processor and GPU than the Air. :confused:

Lancer
Jan 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
2-3 weeks is nothing. I've been waiting almost 8 week for my 27" I ordered Dec 1st!!!!

Go Apple :sarcastic_yay:

super tomtendo
Jan 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
Am I the only one still seeing 7-10 business days on the website? Cause I am see no such 2-3 week delay.

Codyak
Jan 21, 2013, 02:56 PM
Am I the only one still seeing 7-10 business days on the website? Cause I am see no such 2-3 week delay.

US shows 7-10 days, UK shows 2-3 weeks.

super tomtendo
Jan 21, 2013, 02:58 PM

Ah, I suppose I missed that in the article! Whoops! :eek:

kantti
Jan 21, 2013, 03:26 PM
2-3 weeks is nothing. I've been waiting almost 8 week for my 27" I ordered Dec 1st!!!!

Go Apple :sarcastic_yay:

Ordered 27" Dec 3rd from local retailer. And still waiting...

Solomani
Jan 21, 2013, 03:26 PM
It's the snow!

Or maybe people are actually buying iMacs in unexpected volumes? Do we remember when all the Stupids (about 1 year ago) predicted that Apple was ready to kill off the iMac line because the refresh was long overdue?

So it went from.... "iMacs are a dead product line" TO "Apple can't make iMacs fast enough to meet demand". :rolleyes:

Galatian
Jan 21, 2013, 03:27 PM
I actually helped a friend of mine put in an order through my campus VPN, so that she could get the Apple on Campus rebate (she studies as well...just never figured the whole VPN stuff out) and I was surprised to see the shipment already stated 2-3 weeks. But the order actually arrived one week later, so I guess those 2-3 weeks are really more like 1-2 weeks.

Perhaps this is because of the huge backslash Apple received from the iPad Mini order chaos? I order my 32 GB cellular version minutes after preordering started but Apple shipped it over a months later on the 15th december. First time I was really unhappy with the way Apple handles their estimates.

mcalevy
Jan 21, 2013, 03:29 PM
What I have never heard anybody say, is that if Apple had just done an upgrade on the old iMac with the Ivy Bridge and USB 3, they could have added another billion in revenue to their bottom line by now. Does anybody out there care if the iMac has a thinner beveled edge?

And if they had put a chinese engineering team on the Mac Pro, it could have been out a week after intel announce availability of Ivy Bridge. As it is, I had to wait almost 9 months to get an Ivy Bridge in a Mac Mini after Intel began shipping. So I bought a cheap windows laptop just to tide me over after my macbook pro crapped out 3 months after the extended warranty expired, just to see how close I could get Windows 7 to the mac experience. I will say one thing, we Apple users are paying one hell of a premium for not very much these days. And windows users are paying that premium over Ubuntu users. We are talking about having 80% of the apple experience for 30% of the cost if one goes to thin client.

Any way you look at it, this is a massive screw up on the part of the apple computer division. Apple should really not be considered a computer company any more. They didn't even bother to deliver a thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter two years after they started putting thunderbolt on their computers. To put a port on their computers that goes unused for two years is not exactly brilliant.

This is not a company driven to increase their computer sales. I wish apple would just license OS X and get the hell out of the computer business.

kirk26
Jan 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
The rumor is that it's a silver shortage.

Solomani
Jan 21, 2013, 03:54 PM
The rumor is that it's a silver shortage.

Not that I believe rumors like that automatically. But I'm curious... what components inside a desktop computer uses silver?

applesith
Jan 21, 2013, 04:03 PM
Not that I believe rumors like that automatically. But I'm curious... what components inside a desktop computer uses silver?

I believe it was sarcasm.

Razeus
Jan 21, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hopefully they're getting ready for 2013 iMacs with 128GB or 256GB SSD's as standard instead of ridiculous "fusion" drives or drives with only 5400rmp speeds as if it's the early 2000's.

blackhand1001
Jan 21, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hopefully they're getting ready for 2013 iMacs with 128GB or 256GB SSD's as standard instead of ridiculous "fusion" drives or drives with only 5400rmp speeds as if it's the early 2000's.

lol even my old machines from like 99 had 7200rpm drives. What makes it even more ridiculous is that a desktop is usinga 5400rpm drive. My hp laptop from 2009 has a 7200rpm hdd, and an ssd I added. It came with the 7200rpm drive.

Overg
Jan 21, 2013, 04:35 PM
My god! When the iMac fiasco will end?
Almost fab....
I remind you all that it all started in jun! ( when the first :" iMac production problems " rumors hit the web)

hrstruggle
Jan 21, 2013, 04:38 PM
Apple iMAC/QC i5/2.9g/8GB/1TB FUSION - 21.5"

I ordered the above configuration on 12/13/2012 from BandH Photo and it's been on backorder ever since day 1. Still no estimate as to when the delivery will be made. B and H sent me an update 7 days ago saying they still don't know when it will be ready. It's pretty discouraging . . .

KylePowers
Jan 21, 2013, 04:42 PM
Man, with shortages on 21.5 and 27in iMacs, these updated Thunderbolt Displays are never going to arrive :(

Zerotolerance
Jan 21, 2013, 04:55 PM
If it's due to production issues with the screen lamination process, they could have avoided the whole thing by using Nippon's Invisible Glass for a truly glare and reflection-free screen. The lamination supposedly reduces glare by "up to" 70%, but 30% of a mirror finish is still a mirror finish, and in fact the slightly duller reflections causes the eye to strain even harder as it tries to see them enough to distinguish them from the image on the screen.

Rogifan
Jan 21, 2013, 05:05 PM

Jeff Williams would disagree.

http://images.apple.com/pr/bios/images/williams_hero20110204.png

----------

They should put UK in the headline then.

mikeorchard
Jan 21, 2013, 06:12 PM

Funny because it's 2012 and 2.5" 1TB 7,200rpm drives are still scarcely available... hence why Apple isn't using them in the 21.5" iMac.

tootalltech
Jan 21, 2013, 09:30 PM
Im not sure its fair to say that its the NEW co's fault.. There is too much demand.. Not sure why.. I prefer to just buy an hdmi adapter lol

washburn
Jan 21, 2013, 10:59 PM
I noticed the same as well. I was in there to get a motherboard replaced for my rMBP and I played around with the 21 inch and I couldn't believe how bad it looked.

Agreed, the 21" display is pretty bad, you can actually see dots separating pixels in images etc, text is awful, color is good though. The problem is not as bad on the 27

I really hope they bring better screens next time round hopefully IGZO

DigitalJunior
Jan 22, 2013, 02:19 AM
Need to put perceptive on this discussing pixels, when we first used Macintosh for work the screen was monochrome and was what 8" or 9" inches across :)

macs4nw
Jan 22, 2013, 02:36 AM
Need to put perceptive on this discussing pixels, when we first used Macintosh for work the screen was monochrome and was what 8" or 9" inches across :)

Human nature; we get more, we want more. It's much easier to go forward, than to take a step back, like going from 'razor sharp' back to merely 'sharp'. :p

bassfingers
Jan 22, 2013, 03:22 AM

You must but understand the benefits of the fusion drive. It doesn't matter if its only 5400 rpm. Think about it for a while before you decide a 7200 rpm hd will be faster than a 5400 fusion drive. Or that a 128gb flash will be more convenient than a 1.12 TB fusion

Lancer
Jan 22, 2013, 06:41 AM

I'd rather have 1.1Tb Fusion then be limited to 256Gb or pay $1300 for Apple top SSD.

the8thark
Jan 22, 2013, 07:21 AM

If Cook was not ready for the position Jobs would have never recommended him for the position. And never had made him temporary CEO those times too. Jobs knew when someone was ready to handle a position well.

But the 2nd half of your comment makes sense. Cook IS ready to be CEO. But who has taken over Cooks old role as COO? I think there needs to be someone.

Frobi One
Jan 22, 2013, 10:42 AM

Maybe, Just maybe, they have got further improvements in the screen production, but are now having to service both iMac AND Thunderbolt production. :eek:

There is logic to this. I cant see that there would be a sudden uplift in iMac demand right now, especially as there would have been a lot of initial sales due to the model refresh. On the other hand, I cant see them getting worse at making the displays. So a sudden increase in lead-times is likely to be either some increase in sales I cant think of (like companies getting orders in at the start of the calendar year), or there is extra production demand - ie TBD.

I hope so. My rMBP is feeling that it has married bellow itself - being connected to a 3 year old Dell screen for half its working life. (which isn't actually THAT bad it has to be said)

Frobs

robertlipe
Jan 22, 2013, 02:41 PM
Placed my order a month ago today. Still in the same state as a few hours after submitting the order. Phone reps have no idea when it'll ship.

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1510489&page=83
and
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlEmmsf8GxV9dE1EQnFzWGpidFduY1Qxb2ZYUFZTQ2c to see the crazy ship times and orders.

anubis
Jan 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
1 week ago, I walked into my local Apple store, and they had plenty of iMacs in stock, including the 27". I walked out with a new 27" iMac. It's freakin sweet.