Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Well, I installed my Photoshop 6.0 trial for Windows... but I can't figure out how to do a danged thing. Layers and tons of buttons and who knows what else.

I installed it so that I could try to create a "big head" style one dollar bill, but I can't figure out how to use the program.

Does anyone have the time and talent to create a rendering of a $1 and/or $2 bill that looks similar to the current U.S. design for currency?

As mentioned, I would try this myself, but am getting wayyy to confused in the process.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
MontyZ said:
Are you trying to get into the counterfeiting business? :)

You might want to start by scanning an actual bill first, then modifying it from there. But, if you don't know how to use Photoshop, that'll be difficult.

Wish I could help, but, got too much to do myself.

I have an odd feeling that doing this is illegal...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
MontyZ said:
You might want to start by scanning an actual bill first, then modifying it from there. But, if you don't know how to use Photoshop, that'll be difficult.

Good luck because since version 7 or CS1, Photoshop incorporates anti-currency reproduction software which prevents the scannning of many currencies.

You can get round it by various techniques but the direct scanning of a bank note is blocked — even scanning with different software and working on the image within Photoshop doesn't seem to work.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54890

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I'm not entirely sure but my little brother did the same thing in PS CS on my old *shudders* XP machine by scanning in a dollar bill on our HP and he wanted to put a face from a cartoon he watched on Nickelodeon and he did and printed it on my Epson 1280. If you were doing this for recreational use then no harm done.

Forgot to mention that the currency blocking mechanism is in scanners either through their UI/Software or hardware. I know our Xerox Doc12 (Docucolor 12) has a message saying you cant copy nor scan in currency. I remember doing it for sh*ts and giggles one day (I was bored obviously) and the machine locked up and refused to turn back on.

ecwyatt

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005
In Regards to reproducing here's what the law says:

PART 411 -- COLOR ILLUSTRATIONS OF UNITED STATES CURRENCY
Authority: 18 U.S.C. 504; Treasury Directive Number 15-56, 58 FR 48539
(September 16, 1993)
411.1 Color illustrations authorized.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of chapter 25 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code, authority is hereby given for the printing, publishing or importation, or the making or importation of the necessary plates or items for such printing or publishing, of color illustrations of U.S. currency provided that:
(1) The illustration be of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of any matter so illustrated;
(2) The illustration be one-sided; and
(3) All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof shall be destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use in accordance with this section.
(b) [Reserved].​

taken from:U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing

For 72 dpi images go here for:
Ten Dollar Bill
20 Dollar Bill
50 Dollar Bill

For higher res (than 72) you have to request it, for that go here:Media Request

As a side note if you are a citizen of the US and pay taxes you are entitled to any of the media that the Government creates using your Tax dollars.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
But, if you are making a $1 bill that looks obviously fake, then there is no harm done. Over in the "current events" section in the "new $10 bill" thread we were wondering what a redesigned $1 and/or $2 bill may look like. In addition, at the currency forum of which I am a member, no one knows how to use Photoshop, either.

I know copying money is illegal :rolleyes: BUT, if you are simply creating your own personal design for money that has not been released, how is that going against what was copied and pasted above? Even if you end up printing it on super high authenticity paper, no one is going to believe its real, unless you try using it at Wal-Mart.

ecwyatt

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005
BUT, if you are simply creating your own personal design for money that has not been released, how is that going against what was copied and pasted above?

If you are making your "own" style of, money there is nothing wrong with that. But what you can do is down load the images from the links above and "photo shop" elements from it to make your own form of currency (please note I'm NOT talking about counterfeiting) it sounds like your basically just making "Monopoly" money.

I was providing the links above mainly so no one needed to scan in a bill, which can cause problems. And to show you are able to reproduce US currency, as long as you follow the law. I worked for Kinko’s a few years back, our color copier had a big notice on it saying not to copy images. The repair tech we had was telling us one day when he came in to do routine repairs, what would happen if some one copied money. He informed us that the machine, much like PS and many scanners, could tell if it was scanning money. He went on to tell me that it was able to “read the bill” (the serial number I think) and it was set up so that if it was reproduced more than three times the machine would lock anyone out. The only way to unlock it would be to contact him or another tech from his company who we leased the machine from. He added that when they looked at the machine if the error code related to copying money appeared then they could not fix it with out contacting the authorities.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
ecwyatt said:
If you are making your "own" style of, money there is nothing wrong with that. But what you can do is down load the images from the links above and "photo shop" elements from it to make your own form of currency (please note I'm NOT talking about counterfeiting) it sounds like your basically just making "Monopoly" money.

I was providing the links above mainly so no one needed to scan in a bill, which can cause problems. And to show you are able to reproduce US currency, as long as you follow the law. I worked for Kinko’s a few years back, our color copier had a big notice on it saying not to copy images. The repair tech we had was telling us one day when he came in to do routine repairs, what would happen if some one copied money. He informed us that the machine, much like PS and many scanners, could tell if it was scanning money. He went on to tell me that it was able to “read the bill” (the serial number I think) and it was set up so that if it was reproduced more than three times the machine would lock anyone out. The only way to unlock it would be to contact him or another tech from his company who we leased the machine from. He added that when they looked at the machine if the error code related to copying money appeared then they could not fix it with out contacting the authorities.

Ah, OK! Thanks :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.