PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Find a Used MBA i5 With Upgraded Ram?

NightMoose
Jan 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
Hi,

My local Apple store told me the only way to buy a new 13" MBA i5 with upgraded memory (8GB) is to purchase online. Is it true that Apple Stores never carry MBAs with upgraded RAM in-stock?

In any case, I think buying it new is a little over priced. I know of a few methods of finding them used but I'm wondering if there's some other place I've overlooked.

- Refurbished Mac online store
- EBay
- Craigslist

So far I haven't been able to find one on these sites. eBay has them listed from a dealer but it's not much of a saving after shipping to Canada. Do they pop up on the refurbished Mac store often or would you consider them to be a rare find?

Thanks.

53x12
Jan 21, 2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.refurb.me/

Can check that periodically or have them send you notices.

NightMoose
Jan 21, 2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks, I've just signed up!

How often do they come around? Does anyone remember the last time they saw an 8GB 13" i5 refurbished? I haven't been in the market for very long and so far I haven't seen any..

seveej
Jan 22, 2013, 05:11 AM
As a general comment, I do most of my buying and selling through the electronic classifieds of the local macintosh user group. It has the distinct advantage the buyer most often can view the product before handing over the dough. Maybe check if you have something similar in your hoods.

RGDS,

BeeJee
Jan 22, 2013, 08:04 AM
As a general comment, I do most of my buying and selling through the electronic classifieds of the local macintosh user group. It has the distinct advantage the buyer most often can view the product before handing over the dough. Maybe check if you have something similar in your hoods.

RGDS,

I find it odd that you take the time to write everything out, and then can't take the extra second to type regards.

jmoore5196
Jan 22, 2013, 08:42 AM
I find it odd that you take the time to write everything out, and then can't take the extra second to type regards.

Your post made my day!

I bought an 11" i7 with 8GB this summer from the Apple Store online. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy from B & H in New York, since they now stock most of the 8GB configurations.

If you're willing to spend the money for premium-priced equipment, I'm unsure that trolling for a used machine is worth the effort required. There's a cost to the time you spend looking ... just pony up for something new and save yourself the aggravation.

As an old friend often said, you have to evaluate the time cost of everything you do. Waiting for a refurb may not be worth the time it requires ... just a thought.

Mr_Brightside_@
Jan 22, 2013, 10:24 AM
In answer to your first question, the stores carry the two "stock" models that you'll see on the website, and an "ultimate" version that is generally fully upgraded. In this case, that model would come with 8 GB, but would also be i7.

jdechko
Jan 22, 2013, 10:50 AM
In answer to your first question, the stores carry the two "stock" models that you'll see on the website, and an "ultimate" version that is generally fully upgraded. In this case, that model would come with 8 GB, but would also be i7.

The 8GB/i7 in itself wouldn't be a big issue, but the "ultimate" 13" also comes with 512GB that bumps the price $500.

Mr_Brightside_@
Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
The 8GB/i7 in itself wouldn't be a big issue, but the "ultimate" 13" also comes with 512GB that bumps the price $500.
Totally. But it was mainly the proc that the OP was focused on.