PDA

View Full Version : Imminent PowerBook update dilemma




VogonPoet
Oct 5, 2005, 03:17 AM
I bought a new 15" PowerBook from Apple.com about 2 weeks ago. It was a custom 'build to order' model with the larger 100GB harddrive and the 128MB of video RAM. When I received the PowerBook a couple of days later, there seemed to be a number of "issues" with the PB (warped case, defective keyboard, and a number of dead screen pixels). I took it to my local Apple Store and the tech there immediately said that Apple will replace it. I called Apple Support and indeed they agreed that I should request an RMA, send the PB back and as soon as they get the unit, they'll ship out a replacement.

After I shipped back the PB, but before they received it, rumors started to fly all over the Mac Rumor sites about a possible PowerBook update that might actually still happen sometime during October. Initially I though this was just more 'hot air' (remember the promissed PB updates at the Paris Expo that never materialized?), but when I checked the 'shipping times' for new PBs today on Apple's website they went from 24hours to 1-2 days for standard units and from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks for 'built to order' units (like mine). At the same time, my replacement RMA order's shipping date jumped from 10/4 to 10/27 (3 weeks later!!). It definitely now looks like an update is actually imminent.

My question is now this: If the PB's get updated within the next week or so, but before my replacement PB ships, will my replacement be one of the new updated models or simply the same as the current models that they were able to find somewhere? Since my 'shipping date' has jumped so much, I do have the option to cancel my replacement order and get a full refund. Would this be an adviseable course of action to take to ensure I get one of the updated models (I'll have to reorder later then)? Or should I just sit and wait for my replacement to eventually ship and HOPE it will be an updated model.



cocozz
Oct 5, 2005, 06:59 AM
I bought a new 15" PowerBook from Apple.com about 2 weeks ago. It was a custom 'build to order' model with the larger 100GB harddrive and the 128MB of video RAM. When I received the PowerBook a couple of days later, there seemed to be a number of "issues" with the PB (warped case, defective keyboard, and a number of dead screen pixels). I took it to my local Apple Store and the tech there immediately said that Apple will replace it. I called Apple Support and indeed they agreed that I should request an RMA, send the PB back and as soon as they get the unit, they'll ship out a replacement.

After I shipped back the PB, but before they received it, rumors started to fly all over the Mac Rumor sites about a possible PowerBook update that might actually still happen sometime during October. Initially I though this was just more 'hot air' (remember the promissed PB updates at the Paris Expo that never materialized?), but when I checked the 'shipping times' for new PBs today on Apple's website they went from 24hours to 1-2 days for standard units and from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks for 'built to order' units (like mine). At the same time, my replacement RMA order's shipping date jumped from 10/4 to 10/27 (3 weeks later!!). It definitely now looks like an update is actually imminent.

My question is now this: If the PB's get updated within the next week or so, but before my replacement PB ships, will my replacement be one of the new updated models or simply the same as the current models that they were able to find somewhere? Since my 'shipping date' has jumped so much, I do have the option to cancel my replacement order and get a full refund. Would this be an adviseable course of action to take to ensure I get one of the updated models (I'll have to reorder later then)? Or should I just sit and wait for my replacement to eventually ship and HOPE it will be an updated model.


[QUOTE]If the PB's get updated within the next week or so

Last week we said the same, and the other week , and the other , the other and other...

MacDawg
Oct 5, 2005, 07:03 AM
Who knows when the PB's will be updated :rolleyes:
The only reason they are more imminent now than they were last week is that we are one week closer to an unknown event.


Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

mjstew33
Oct 5, 2005, 07:05 AM
I would seriously wait. With shipping times like those... updates are soon. Just how soon is the question...

mjstew33
Oct 5, 2005, 07:08 AM
If the "one more thing" thing passes, and no updates are relavent, just buy.

dmw007
Oct 5, 2005, 07:23 AM
If the "one more thing" thing passes, and no updates are relavent, just buy.

Good advice, wait till after the "one more thing" event on Oct 12.

wide
Oct 5, 2005, 07:29 AM
but everyone knows that the thing jobs it gonna release on the 12th is a new line of ipods... he said "one more thing" not "two" or "three more things".

don't worry though your powerbook will either be the old version and perfect or newly revised and DOA.

dmw007
Oct 5, 2005, 07:33 AM
but everyone knows that the thing jobs it gonna release on the 12th is a new line of ipods... he said "one more thing" not "two" or "three more things".

don't worry though your powerbook will either be the old version and perfect or newly revised and DOA.

Yes, new iPods are the likely release.

But I really, really want to see new PowerBooks- they are l-o-n-g overdue. :)

drake
Oct 5, 2005, 08:49 AM
Don't think anyone here actually read what the original poster said. :rolleyes:

VogonPoet
Oct 5, 2005, 11:58 AM
Don't think anyone here actually read what the original poster said. :rolleyes:

Yes... could someone actually respond to my original question?

Thanks

solvs
Oct 5, 2005, 12:51 PM
If you need a PowerBook now, go ahead and wait. You might get pleasantly surprised, you might not. If new models are released, and your replacement hasn't shipped, you can cancel and re-order then. If it's already shipped, it'll be the old model, but maybe they'll refund the difference. If you can wait a week or more, go ahead and cancel, but be prepared for nothing new until MWSF in Jan. If it doesn't happen in early Nov, it ain't happening until then.

drake
Oct 5, 2005, 01:43 PM
If you need a PowerBook now, go ahead and wait. You might get pleasantly surprised, you might not. If new models are released, and your replacement hasn't shipped, you can cancel and re-order then. If it's already shipped, it'll be the old model, but maybe they'll refund the difference. If you can wait a week or more, go ahead and cancel, but be prepared for nothing new until MWSF in Jan. If it doesn't happen in early Nov, it ain't happening until then.

Add one more to the list. :p

drake
Oct 5, 2005, 02:00 PM
Let me hazzard a guess. If they come out with a new Powerbook, I'd think they'd give you the new one and not old stock.

VogonPoet
Oct 5, 2005, 02:06 PM
Let me hazzard a guess. If they come out with a new Powerbook, I'd think they'd give you the new one and not old stock.

Actually, I just spoke with an Apple sales rep who said that I most definitely would NOT get the (hypothetical) updated model since my order is for a replacement.

Given the uncertainty and current long wait time on my order, I opted for the cancellation-with-refund. I'll be watching the special event and Apple's store closely next week and be ready to re-order whatever is the latest PowerBook available at that time.

djkny
Oct 5, 2005, 02:44 PM
Don't worry about your purchase. Even if PB updates are announced, they probably won't ship until early-Dec --- it's like Apple to toy with the consumer, holding an event to "advertise' something that won't be available until .... you guessed it -- holiday shopping season! Oh, and they'll have to wait until production of the 7448's catches up to speed. Pshh ...

We should rename this site, MacDowners.

themacman
Oct 5, 2005, 04:09 PM
Don't worry about your purchase. Even if PB updates are announced, they probably won't ship until early-Dec --- it's like Apple to toy with the consumer, holding an event to "advertise' something that won't be available until .... you guessed it -- holiday shopping season! Oh, and they'll have to wait until production of the 7448's catches up to speed. Pshh ...

We should rename this site, MacDowners.
i doubt that because with all the shipping dates, and how overdue the pb is they would have to ship it imediatley. Maybe they were planing to realse them at paris then ship it now, but they got delyed so they figured they could wait and release it at once. But if they did that im shure that everyone would be super pissed of including me.