PDA

View Full Version : What the 5-Inch iPhone Could Look Like

MacRumors
Jan 22, 2013, 12:53 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/22/russian-site-creates-5-inch-iphone-mockup-video/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/iphonemath.jpg
Earlier this week, China Times published a rumor that Apple could release an "iPhone Math" (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/20/apple-rumored-to-debut-4-8-inch-iphone-math-in-june/), a larger iPhone with a 4.8" screen that could compete with "phablets" like the Samsung Galaxy Note (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note2/index.html). Though the name is particularly suspect, it's possible that Apple would want to get into that product category. Samsung has had some success in the area, and similar products were popular at CES this year.

Russian site AppleDigger.ru has created a mockup of what such an iPhone could look like (http://appledigger.ru/news/video-prototip-iphone-math-s-4-8-displeem/) [Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fappledigger.ru%2Fnews%2Fvideo-prototip-iphone-math-s-4-8-displeem%2F)]. One significant part that the video gets incorrect is that the original rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/20/apple-rumored-to-debut-4-8-inch-iphone-math-in-june/) claimed the larger phone will come with an 8-megapixel camera, whilst the video says it will have a 12-megapixel camera. Instead, an update to the iPhone is said to come before the holiday season this year, upgrading the lens to 12-megapixels.

JrFsF-p0wjE
Considering the sketchiness of the "iPhone Math" rumor and the lack of any specific claims about how Apple would handle the larger display in iOS, the mockup video should primarily be viewed as a concept giving a general idea of what such a device might look like.

Article Link: What the 5-Inch iPhone Could Look Like (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/22/russian-site-creates-5-inch-iphone-mockup-video/)

AlphaVictor87
Jan 22, 2013, 12:56 PM
Not sure if its just me but i find it really sad that the "big thing" (mockup video or not) of a new bigger screen for an iPhone is yet ANOTHER row of apps.

great...

EDIT: Just reminded me of this parody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBP18nrRdw)

burnside
Jan 22, 2013, 12:58 PM
But I need 7 rows of apps.

WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

nutmac
Jan 22, 2013, 01:00 PM
I frankly don't care for phablets personally, but I understand that many people like to carry "1 device to rule them all" (vs. iPhone and iPad/iPad mini).

To me, the biggest stumbling block is the new screen target that larger iPhone screen will necessitate. I suppose larger iPhone can keep iPhone 5's resolution, simply making screen target larger (hence lower pixels per inch), but real solution would require higher resolution, and hence new screen target for app developers.

MasterHowl
Jan 22, 2013, 01:01 PM
Looks hideous...

timshundo
This is the last step to horrible screen size compatibility fragmentation for app developers.

Jbrumz85
If iOS doesn't change much it won't matter how big the screen gets it'll still be boring just with a bigger screen now

applesith
Jan 22, 2013, 01:04 PM
#linkbait

MoreAwesomeDanU
Jan 22, 2013, 01:07 PM
If iOS doesn't change much it won't matter how big the screen gets it'll still be boring just with a bigger screen now

It's not even just boring, a lot of native apps on iOS just have bad interface compared to the new apps that are coming out on both iOS and android.

They really need to revamp the next iOS.

JayLenochiniMac
Jan 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
They really need to shrink the wasted space above and below the screen. Maximize the screen while keeping the overall size smaller.

As for revamping the next iOS, don't bet on it. All the Mac OS X iterations have remained essentially unchanged.

Unggoy Murderer
Jan 22, 2013, 01:11 PM
My thumbs are sobbing.

tann
Jan 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
I think they would change iOS a bit for it, because the spaces between the apps on the homepages would be strange (especially since it's 4 across still and the phone WILL get wider to keep the aspect ration!).

carlos916
Jan 22, 2013, 01:17 PM
Love how they emphasize 6 rows like thats what everyone wants!!

I don't mine 5 but maybe some bigger icons would be cool?

dantehicks42
Jan 22, 2013, 01:17 PM
At this point might as well carry an iPad Mini in my pockets. I don't want a bigger screen, but I would take a revamped iOS.

Extra rows of apps is just getting unusable.

violaboy
Jan 22, 2013, 01:19 PM
I'm sick of having to waste energy flipping through pages. They should make it so I can put all my apps on the home page! :D

melendezest
Jan 22, 2013, 01:23 PM
Not sure if its just me but i find it really sad that the "big thing" (mockup video or not) of a new bigger screen for an iPhone is yet ANOTHER row of apps.

great...

EDIT: Just reminded me of this parody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBP18nrRdw)

That parody was awesome; too funny!

This phone looks terrible in the different colors. But more than that, I'd be disappointed if Apple were to make the phone just taller, again.

MacFly123
Jan 22, 2013, 01:28 PM
Haha, pretty ridiculous info and concept but I do think the iPhone 5s will introduce colors and I am excited for that :) Too bad I won't upgrade my iPhone 5 till the year after that :(

TurnTronics
Jan 22, 2013, 01:32 PM
One more row! It's a miracle!

cambookpro
Jan 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
Looks hideous. Badly thought out - of course Apple wouldn't just add another row of icons.

ctdonath
Jan 22, 2013, 01:57 PM
While at it, how about heading the other way: the iPad Gnat, featuring an icon array size of 1x1.
(Take that previous-gen iPod nano design and bump it up to near-iPad specs!)

AlphaVictor87
Jan 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
Love how they emphasize 6 rows like thats what everyone wants!!

I don't mine 5 but maybe some bigger icons would be cool?

Oh jesus i just realized they will probably now start having arguments on here saying

"Its going to be called the iPhone 6 because there will be 6 rows of icons now! iPhone 5 had 5 rows!!! IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!!"

M-O
Jan 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
if apple ever does go bigger, i hope they keep a 3.5" or 4" model in the lineup.

----------

I'm sick of having to waste energy flipping through pages. They should make it so I can put all my apps on the home page! :D

you can fit 384 apps on one screen of the iPhone 5.

Moonjumper
Jan 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
if apple ever does go bigger, i hope they keep a 3.5" or 4" model in the lineup.

And give the 4" model the same performance as the oversized phone, unlike Android handsets.

Digital Skunk
Jan 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
Terrible! The whole purpose of a 5" or larger screen isn't just to put the same grid of icons and terrible usability on it. Give us some widgets or allow us to actually SEE some things right from the home screen.

Don't just make the icons bigger and cram more of them on the screen like on the current models.

WeegieMac
Jan 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
I like the Lucky Labs Spectra wraps on the antenna band ...

Blakjack
Jan 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
God Daaamm Tv Remote!!!!

myrtlebee
Jan 22, 2013, 02:32 PM
There is zero innovation in this if this pos "Math" becomes a reality. Let's keep stretchin' it! Make it in Pink! Woo!

thelink
Jan 22, 2013, 02:34 PM
Reminds me of the iPhone 10
http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEyLzA5LzEzLzEwXzI0XzM3XzMwMV9maWxl/4875b048

Moorepheus
Jan 22, 2013, 02:40 PM
Can they really go taller? What about wider....Maybe this would force them to update the iOS?

mrsir2009
Jan 22, 2013, 02:55 PM

Is your phone really that much to you?

AppleGuesser
Jan 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
Looks hideous. Badly thought out - of course Apple wouldn't just add another row of icons.

I remember people saying that about the iPhone 5 :rolleyes: Look how well that has sold :rolleyes:

olowott
Jan 22, 2013, 03:23 PM
come on, alot of ppl would love to grow taller but not phones, we need our iphone to get fat alil bit too ;)

ka-spot
Jan 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
but no thanks!

tlevier
Jan 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
1) I know nothing

2) If I wanted to speculate on rumors, i'd try to make them sound more plausible, not less

3) More plausible is never repeating "math" again and begin referring to it as iPhone+. I'm sure there's some symbol based language where the + actually translates to "math". I'm probably wrong.

4) When Apple was running the advertisement about how the thumb of 1 hand holding the iPhone 5 stretched from one corner to the next without having to over extend, I thought, well, that's cool. But what if you're holding it sideways? Then there's a lot of extra room that's wasted and you can't stretch all the way across. So, I would bank on it getting wider (and maybe taller) but I would wager that they do something like "adjustable icons". Could be a handicap setting like "use larger icons" and it's 4x5. Or use smaller icons and it's 5x6. Eventually, I'd think they'd allow you to set a different icon size for each app individually based on your preferences and the importance of the app.

Mike MA
Jan 22, 2013, 03:46 PM

Exactly, I don't see any added value for a phone device - if they want more space for some apps, go get an iPad Mini.

.macbookpro.
Jan 22, 2013, 03:48 PM
This is the last step to horrible screen size compatibility fragmentation for app developers.

correct me if im wrong but what if they used the ipad non retina's pixel size. I know its a different aspect ration, but isnt that what everybody's wanting?

cambookpro
Jan 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
I remember people saying that about the iPhone 5 :rolleyes: Look how well that has sold :rolleyes:

Yes - but that was to accommodate a 16:9 (or near enough) aspect ratio, and the first screen size change ever for the iPhone line.

It would be ridiculous to change it again so soon after, and make the aspect ratio which is nothing near any kind of standard.

applesith
Jan 22, 2013, 04:12 PM
I'd like a black/red though.....

iMikeT
Jan 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
With a screen this large, you might as well look into getting an iPad mini.

baryon
Jan 22, 2013, 04:23 PM
I miss the days when phones were getting smaller every year…

SpectatorHere
Jan 22, 2013, 04:35 PM
It's not even just boring, a lot of native apps on iOS just have bad interface compared to the new apps that are coming out on both iOS and android.

They really need to revamp the next iOS.

iOS is fine, the Android community would b*tch about it regardless. iOS isn't the problem. These are the problems:

1. It's very hard to distinguish between models yet owners are expected to upgrade regularly. If you want people to upgrade you had better give them something that's easily recognizable as new.

2. Marketing/Ads and sh#t. They need to go back to selling the brand and be exciting, rebellious, and cool. Instead, they show features, they have old people and kids in them. Seriously folks, they have an ad about a second microphone...a second microphone.

3. Return to a regular update cycle and don't do stuff like the iPad 3 which was only out a few months.

4. Wow people. Apple used to know how to blow people away with artistic design. I like my iPhone 5, it's the best iPhone I've owned, but it looks weird. The iPhone and iPhone 4 were obviously Apple and obviously cool/different. The iPhone 5 is half-as#ed.

There are too many iPhone users out there right now for Apple to stop selling it's brand as new and exciting. Old people and kids do own a ton of Apple products, but that doesn't mean you should change the brand image from young, hip, and outsider.

Here's hoping someone from Apple pulls a coup and gets Tim Cook fired...he clearly doesn't get it.

----------

With a screen this large, you might as well look into getting an iPad mini.

Get used to it, the next iPhone design (hopefully this year, but likely not) will be 4.5-5.0".

So many people in these forums don't understand that for the great majority of people, their phone is their primary gateway to the Internet. Their primary form of communication is texting, email, facebook updates, and twitter. FAR down the list are phone calls and email.

There are plenty of small phones that already exist...go use one, they were invented in 1998. Today's smartphones are not phones in the traditional sense at all.

Michael Scrip
Jan 22, 2013, 04:36 PM
The whole purpose of a 5" or larger screen isn't just to put the same grid of icons and terrible usability on it. Give us some widgets or allow us to actually SEE some things right from the home screen.

Don't just make the icons bigger and cram more of them on the screen like on the current models.

If you're simply looking at the homescreen all day... you're doing it wrong.

Open an app once in a while.

A bigger screen will show a bigger image. The keyboard will be a little larger. Movies will be larger. Games will be larger.

daneoni
Jan 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
iOS REALLY needs a UI revamp.

Same UI since 2007.

jlgolson
Jan 22, 2013, 05:15 PM
iOS REALLY needs a UI revamp.

Same UI since 2007.Or they just got it right the first time. The Mac Desktop looks largely the same since System 7 or so.

flux73
Jan 22, 2013, 05:27 PM
Reminds me of the iPhone 10
Is that an iPhone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? ;)

mattroman246
Jan 22, 2013, 06:18 PM
Lol, iPhone Math...

xkmxkmxlmx
Jan 22, 2013, 06:30 PM
Isn't it rather pointless to show the size of something online without a known object (dvd case, iphone 4 or 5, etc) object next to it for comparison?

Renzatic
Jan 22, 2013, 06:42 PM

The trend towards smaller was a good thing, back when all you expected to do with your phone was make calls and maybe text someone.

These days, calling and texting are practically secondary features on a smartphone. Now, they're expected to be web browsers, movie players, document and ebook readers, game consoles...

...things that are (arguably) better done on larger screens.

Smartass
Jan 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
6 rows?

magical.

albusseverus
Jan 22, 2013, 06:56 PM

But the internet gets bigger every year, and phones just have to get bigger, to fit it all in.

----------

Isn't it rather pointless to show the size of something online without a known object (dvd case, iphone 4 or 5, etc) object next to it for comparison?

Or at least an iPhone 5 beside it, instead of morphing into it at the beginning.

Just for fun, add a 4 beside the 5 and the Math - would show how far we've come.

daneoni
Jan 22, 2013, 07:01 PM
6 rows?

magical.

Your username is very...apt.

b166er
Jan 22, 2013, 07:19 PM
One day, probably after it's way too late and everyone has jumped ship, Apple will realize there is more a larger screen can offer than simply more rows of apps.

Apple, you make the nicest phones around, and your ecosystem is second to none. Please for the love of God start playing ball like you mean it.

sazivad
Jan 22, 2013, 07:20 PM
That's right, folks. Apple is gonna fire Tim Cook, release the iPhone Math 6S with ExynosQuad2.3GHZ4GLTEWiMAXSuperAMOLEDPentile128GB®, and acquire Samsung. Then, it'll license iOS.

(gee where do I sign up to be an analyst)

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 22, 2013, 07:23 PM
Or they just got it right the first time. The Mac Desktop looks largely the same since System 7 or so.

They added several great features. And then they screwed them up. IE, dashboard. Or a grid of spaces.

I would love it if Apple allowed a few more things to be added to the home screen:

1 - Widgets
2 - Documents / Shortcuts (IE, you could have a shortcut to a specific Note in Notes, or a specific Photo in photos.)
3 - Folders in Folders
4 - Updatable app icons

I think the odds of Apple adding 1 & 4 are pretty good. The odds of 2 seem pretty dim (that'd be a pretty radical change... but at the same time, they already allow this for Safari.) The odds of 3 don't seem too bad, but I don't know how useful they would be without #2.

Digital Skunk
Jan 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
If you're simply looking at the homescreen all day... you're doing it wrong.

Open an app once in a while.

A bigger screen will show a bigger image. The keyboard will be a little larger. Movies will be larger. Games will be larger.

Agreed and the home screens can show more info if Apple gives us a more up to date OS some time soon.

j1huynh
Jan 22, 2013, 07:38 PM
Adding another row is bad. Another column should be added or else the phone is too long.

xkmxkmxlmx
Jan 22, 2013, 07:45 PM
That's right, folks. Apple is gonna fire Tim Cook, release the iPhone Math 6S with ExynosQuad2.3GHZ4GLTEWiMAXSuperAMOLEDPentile128GB®, and acquire Samsung. Then, it'll license iOS.

(gee where do I sign up to be an analyst)

Just like all those iPad mini rumors turning out to be false, too, right?

Idiots to the very day before they were released screaming "no way, never".

PatrickW98
Jan 22, 2013, 08:27 PM
How about we make it at least one app wider? :b

Candlelight
Jan 22, 2013, 08:30 PM
Why does it always have to be taller? Why not make it wider with five columns?

flameproof
Jan 22, 2013, 08:34 PM
That will be the best iPhone. Ever. Period!

definitive
Jan 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
the screen can be 10", but if the home screen remains looking like that, then it won't matter. ios needs a refresh. there are so many apps now, and having so many pages to flip through, or folders to configure is kinda inconvenient at this point.

Alx9876
Jan 22, 2013, 09:04 PM
This thing needs to be WIDER not taller.

Looks horrible btw.

flameproof
Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 PM

Looks horrible btw.

Try turning it in a 90º angle.

davidinva
Jan 22, 2013, 10:01 PM
come on, alot of ppl would love to grow taller but not phones, we need our iphone to get fat alil bit too ;)

Especially here in the States.

1Alec1
Jan 22, 2013, 10:06 PM
Those mockups always look retarded. I thought the iPhone 5 would be ugly trash until I actually saw it IRL. It's actually a lot cooler-looking than the iPhone 4.

hleewell
Jan 22, 2013, 10:36 PM
The new iPhone should be a smaller iPad Mini rather than a longer iPhone 5.
The current iPhone 5 is beautiful but I got a lot of "what's that in your pants" jokes

Zwhaler
Jan 22, 2013, 11:15 PM
Please no! Making it taller doesn't make internet browsing easier. I know it's a rendering but fail!!!

hyteckit
Jan 23, 2013, 12:53 AM
There won't be a 5" iPhone.

Nuff said.

Dominicanyor
Jan 23, 2013, 01:05 AM
Wow!!!

roxxette
Jan 23, 2013, 02:22 AM

You think ? :rolleyes: i bet they will.

Giuly
Jan 23, 2013, 03:21 AM
If they would do horizontally with the pixel count what they did vertically with the iPhone 5 and bring back the good ol' 3:2 aspect ratio with a resolution of 1136x757 (or 1200x800), I wouldn't mind. Landscape mode in 16:9 just doesn't feel right.

Also, I sincerely hope that there's a better explanation to the name than this:
http://i.imgur.com/doWnx4v.jpg

baryon
Jan 23, 2013, 03:46 AM
The trend towards smaller was a good thing, back when all you expected to do with your phone was make calls and maybe text someone.

These days, calling and texting are practically secondary features on a smartphone. Now, they're expected to be web browsers, movie players, document and ebook readers, game consoles...

...things that are (arguably) better done on larger screens.

Yes, that's true, so it's okay for a smartphone to be larger than non-smart phones, but there should be a limit to how big they can grow :D I mean, after a while it will be too big to be comfortable to have in your pocket (it's already at the limit of being big). I don't think the iPhone should be bigger, and if it does, it would be great if that was just an optional size along with the iPhone 5 size.

Doc750
Jan 23, 2013, 07:43 AM
I always knew I was a tendsetter. As soon as I got the note 2 because of the larger screen, better OS and more features, Apple and it's blind minions decided to follow.

Renzatic
Jan 23, 2013, 08:41 AM
Yes, that's true, so it's okay for a smartphone to be larger than non-smart phones, but there should be a limit to how big they can grow :D I mean, after a while it will be too big to be comfortable to have in your pocket (it's already at the limit of being big). I don't think the iPhone should be bigger, and if it does, it would be great if that was just an optional size along with the iPhone 5 size.

See, I don't think there should be a limit, so much as a wider selection. You obviously like the iPhone 5 as it is, and that's fine. It's a good sized phone for people who want that balance between usability and...er...pocketability. Me? I think it's a little too small for heavy usage. I mean it's fine for looking something up quickly, but I wouldn't want to read a book on it, watch a movie, or play a game. It could do those things, yeah. But in my opinion, they'd be easier to do on a larger screen.

So between us, who's right? Well...both of us. We each have our own idea of what's best, what works and what doesn't. So why can't we have both? You get your traditional sized iPhone, and I get a larger one. Apple already has two iPad sizes, why not do the same for phones? Both could have the same hardware, the same resolution screen (you'd have to bump up the res on the 4" to maintain Retina pixel density on the bigger phone). The only difference would be screen size. It'd make a lot more people happy.

Hell, for people who want a phablet, why not add cell phone functionality to the iPad and Mini?

The only downside I'd see to this would be that the people with the smaller devices would have slightly less battery life. Otherwise, it's a great "everyone having their cake and eating it too" option.

Overg
Jan 23, 2013, 09:20 AM

Can't agree more.

the next thing that should be different is Ios!
I hope apple will understand that the ios isn't like the tiger\lion what ever they have for the mac, where you can make small increment for 10939810238 years.
if they wont move fast, and change the look and feel every couple of years, android will take over.

The Ios haven't change since 2007!!

chrisrosemusic1
Jan 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
This is just... hideous. iOS is dull but functional, Android is leaps ahead in terms of innovation and a fresh appearance, and we're going to get another row of bloody icons?

Choo choo, here comes the jump train from iOS next year if this is Apple's next 'big idea'

----------

Can't agree more.

the next thing that should be different is Ios!
I hope apple will understand that the ios isn't like the tiger\lion what ever they have for the mac, where you can make small increment for 10939810238 years.
if they wont move fast, and change the look and feel every couple of years, android will take over.

The Ios haven't change since 2007!!

It stole the notification bar from Android and got a hard of hearing voice assistant... lol

maxosx
Jan 23, 2013, 10:59 AM

Looks horrible btw.

I could not agree more. An unsettling thought that comes to mind is that perhaps Apple just doesn't get it.

The narrow elongated display on my iPhone 5 is like half an upgrade having maintained the same width. No benefits at all in the landscape position.

Who's the dummy that thought up this rather bizarre shape?

iisdan
Jan 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
So dumb.

mcgruff
Jan 23, 2013, 01:15 PM
Hmmm.....let me think this over. What would a 5" iPhone look like?

My guess.....like an iPhone. Only bigger.

Does that make me a tech analyst?

cclloyd
Jan 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
They wouldn't add yet another resolution. Just making it even longer wouldn't help compete with the other bigger phones. They would need to just make it flat out bigger.

marzer
Jan 23, 2013, 02:59 PM
Adding another row is bad. Another column should be added or else the phone is too long.

Voilà!

:p

lantinian
Jan 23, 2013, 03:52 PM
iOS as it is now supports 3 set of resolutions:
1x - 480x320 - 2:1
2x - 960x640 - 2:1
2x - 1136x640 - 16:19

It is logical for Apple to finally drop support for 1x devices with iOS 7, thus freeing 1 of the resolutions, apps have to support if they want to be only compatible with iOS 7 or above.

If Apple is to introduce a 2nd iPhone in 2013, I think it will make a lot more sence to produce a model that has the 5 screen size, the 4S internals and the 4 price tag and a new enclosure.

IMHO, the way to make a 4,8 inch (or a big ) iPhone will be to use the exact same UI proportions, only stretch them to the larger screen but double the resolution at the same time.

For a 4,8 in phone my math skills tell me a screen with 526ppi is needed.
This tech may not be available in 2013 but may be on the shelf in 2014.

The end result will be that a big iPhone will look instantly familiar, can use existing apps out of the box and will not require a doubling of screen density to to achieve a doubling of resolution.

Webpages and fonts will look amazing as will Full HD video as the screen will have 2272 x 1280 pixels. Because the UI elements will be 20% bigger general usage of the phone, especially with 2 hands will be a brease.

I just don't see this happening this year. Maybe in 2014

coolspot18
Jan 24, 2013, 03:49 PM
Looks hideous...

Looks like any other iPhone.

Alex-Paris
Jan 26, 2013, 04:11 AM
Hi,
Have you seen the iPhone Mock up "3d" ? (Autostereoscopic screen and 2 cameras for 3d pictures) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO5FxWw2qN0
Thank's for this interesting website.
Alex (Paris - France)

MoreAwesomeDanU
Jan 27, 2013, 03:29 AM
iOS is fine, the Android community would b*tch about it regardless. iOS isn't the problem. These are the problems:

1. It's very hard to distinguish between models yet owners are expected to upgrade regularly. If you want people to upgrade you had better give them something that's easily recognizable as new.

2. Marketing/Ads and sh#t. They need to go back to selling the brand and be exciting, rebellious, and cool. Instead, they show features, they have old people and kids in them. Seriously folks, they have an ad about a second microphone...a second microphone.

3. Return to a regular update cycle and don't do stuff like the iPad 3 which was only out a few months.

4. Wow people. Apple used to know how to blow people away with artistic design. I like my iPhone 5, it's the best iPhone I've owned, but it looks weird. The iPhone and iPhone 4 were obviously Apple and obviously cool/different. The iPhone 5 is half-as#ed.

There are too many iPhone users out there right now for Apple to stop selling it's brand as new and exciting. Old people and kids do own a ton of Apple products, but that doesn't mean you should change the brand image from young, hip, and outsider.

Here's hoping someone from Apple pulls a coup and gets Tim Cook fired...he clearly doesn't get it.

----------

Get used to it, the next iPhone design (hopefully this year, but likely not) will be 4.5-5.0".

So many people in these forums don't understand that for the great majority of people, their phone is their primary gateway to the Internet. Their primary form of communication is texting, email, facebook updates, and twitter. FAR down the list are phone calls and email.

There are plenty of small phones that already exist...go use one, they were invented in 1998. Today's smartphones are not phones in the traditional sense at all.

iOS is NOT fine. There are lot of apps out there beating the crap out of their native ones now days. In fact almost all of the new apps have stopped following the iOS guidelines when it comes down to design.

iPhone 5 has stunning industrial design that feels like its from the future, yet as soon as u switch it on, you feel like you're back in 2007 with all the chrome, shadow, bevel and emboss. Terrible cohesive experience

righteye
Jan 27, 2013, 03:56 PM
While at it, how about heading the other way: the iPad Gnat, featuring an icon array size of 1x1.
(Take that previous-gen iPod nano design and bump it up to near-iPad specs!)

How about the iphone thats on a wrist strap like the Nano 6th generation sure be a lot more difficult to lose the thing and look kind of secret service as one keeps putting your wrist to your face, a phone thats,well a phone but also could look like a watch

dinggus
Jan 27, 2013, 06:42 PM
I'd buy it because then I wouldn't need my iPad anymore. I personally like the Note 2.

I can see Apple adding another row and column.

iMichael!
Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
The problem isn't the Height. It's the Width.

We don't need a 5-Inch Screen.

The colors would be nice though.