PDA

View Full Version : iBook turning off- External Display

jarinaz
Oct 5, 2005, 04:57 PM
I was told, at the apple store, that if I bought an iBook and the Video Adapter, I could hook my ibook up to my high def tv. I recieved my adapter and computer yesterday and hooked it up to my 51 inch TV. I was pleased that I was able to get a pretty good picture after setting the preferences.

The issue Im having is that I cannot close my iBook without it going to sleep. The whole point of getting this was that I could get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and browse from my couch.

Is there a way to set the mac to be able to continue to run while closed so that when I am hooked up to a monitor the screen does not have to run and wear down my battery? Please help.

mjstew33
Oct 5, 2005, 05:02 PM
The iBooks are not made for them to run in "clamshell" mode. Clamshell mode is running with the ibook closed. The iBook releases heat through the keyboard, thus, not allowing you to run the iBook closed for a safetey feature.

You really can't get past this with out really hurting your iBook.

Sorry!

mjstew33
Oct 5, 2005, 05:03 PM
You can turn off the display by just turning down the brightness all the way :)

jarinaz
Oct 5, 2005, 05:31 PM
How do I turn the brightness down without also turning it down on my external display?

Im new to mac, how do I turn the brighness down period?

ITASOR
Oct 5, 2005, 05:46 PM
I don't think the brightness keys on the keyboard control the external monitor, just the internal ones. Press F1 a few times, you see the brightness meter come up and the screen get darker. At the last keypress, it will turn, for the most part, black.