Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
PA
Okay, I did a search, and nothing turned up, so I want to apologize up front because it's possible that I missed a thread on this. I'm a college student, and would like to minimize back strain as much as possible...
I currently keep my 15" Powerbook in a TimBuk2 sleeve, then in a "Gravis" Laptop bag. I use a normal bookbag to carry my books. My question is would it be better/easier for me to use an all-in-one laptop/book bag? I was once told that it's a little risky to keep your laptop in the same bag as your books? So I turn to MacRumors for advice...If anyone here could share any personal experiences or thoughts they may have on the topic!
Thanks guys.... :)

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I use the Brenthaven Fusion 12 for laptop and books. It's a small bag, and very light - you get the advantage of being able to walk cross-campus without much weight, but you can only carry books for 1 or 2 classes at a time in it. On long days, though, messenger bag style bags can hurt, and sometimes I wish that I had opted for a backpack.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
I think your beset bet is for you to get a laptop backpack (not a messegner bag). I would also keep using your sleeve.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Personally I don't like laptop back packs. Two reasons really; 1. Because the laptop is behind me all the time and 2. because I just don't feel it's safe and snug.

I use a Crumpler Wack-o-Phone messenger bag. It has a special padded compartment inside for my Powerbook and the whole bag is padded as well.

In addition I use an STM Rebound sleeve which is shock proof, fits like a glove and has low compression and rebound release acts as a shock absorber, spreading the impact of sudden bumps and jolts and generally providing a higher level of protection.

In my messenger bag I carry my Powerbook, camera, iSight, iPod, mobile phone, sketch pad, spare battery, (sometimes charges and leads if going overseas), wallet, reading glasses, Sims 2 dvd and there's still plenty of room. It's not difficult to carry, actually quite comfortable. Occasionally I may be carrying a text book of some type and none of these things disturb my Powerbook or make for a difficult bag to carry.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Backpacks are better plain and simple. ZoomZoomZoom is right......messenger bags aren't too great for long days. They're not good if you're carrying a lot of weight, either.

I only use my messenger bag when I'm only carrying my 12" PB and maybe my notebook around, a pen, and possibly a calculator.

Otherwise, a backpack + sleeve is your best bet.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I would second the comment about messenger bags not being the greatest for carrying laptops around all day. I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag, the kind that fits a 15" Powerbook, and though I love it, on long days I have to keep switching shoulders. I do recommend them if you bike a lot (which I do), and if you do go that way, make sure you get the little clasp that attaches around your waist. A great little investment if you're going to be biking with a laptop, lemme tell ya.

But yeah, if this is for every day walking around, I would recommend a backpack, and not a messenger bag.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I've always kept my books and laptop in the same bag, and never had a problem. I'm not as picky as a lot of people, so a little scratch here and there doesn't bother me.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Backpacks are just more ergonomically friendly on your back, shoulders, hips, etc. Make sure the backpack has a:
- Strenum (chest) strap: this keeps the shoulder straps from slipping to far towards your arms around the chest area and prevents the feeling as if the pack is going to slide down and off your back.
- Waist strap: although you won't use this from 'class-to-class' situations, if you have to walk a long distance with a large load, you cinch up the waist strap and this moves the load to your hips. Your hips can take a LOT more weight than your shoulder and upper back. A properly designed and fitted backpack actually moves as much of the load as possible to your hips.
- Compression straps: these look like small side straps on either side of the pack. Once you tighten them, they push the internal load towards the back of pack, as opposed to drooping in the front. The weight is closer to your spine and your body's centre of gravity and thus feels easy to carry.

If you need to look professional on occasion, get a nice looking padded sleeve that can double as a shoulder bag and carry that in an ergonomic backpack.

Although I don't own one, BooqBags look cool and seem to fit most of the above criteria.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I always thought I was the only person who wasn't comfortable using a heavier shoulder/messenger bag... :( At least that's what it felt like for awhile on the sleeves/bags thread. I need a backpack to better distribute the weight.

I have a 12" machine and use the booq bag boa XS. I think it's really well made, looks nice, feels sturdy, I like the way the pockets are set up and most importantly for me, it doesn't weigh much itself! I kept looking at laptop backpacks and they would weigh 3+ pounds adding too much weight to an already 'heavy load.'

I could only imagine, PaRaGoNViCtiM, that it would be so much easier to just get a larger backpack to fit your books and your 'book. Most of the laptop backpacks I've seen have a separate compartment for the laptop-- apart from the literary books and whatnot-- so I don't think you really need to worry.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i have a brenthaven backback, what i like about it is that laptop part removes so that if your not carrying around your PB you just take it out and have more room for books. Kinda pricey but i think its worth it....

Applespider

macrumors G4
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
Okay, I did a search, and nothing turned up, so I want to apologize up front because it's possible that I missed a thread on this.

Like this Looking for a carrying case/sleeve sticky thread at the top of the Buying Tips forum ;)

FWIW, I have a few regular bags (messenger/backpack/v large handbag) and a sleeve so that I can use whichever bag suits best and depending on what else I'm carrying. If I'm carrying heavy stuff in the backpack (like books), I try to make sure that the PB is leaning on the books, rathe than the books on the PB...

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I purchased an incase sleeve/bag for my 12inch powerbook. It's just enough to fit a powerbook, some cash or wallet, some manuals, and the powercoard. It comes with detachable straps, so sometimes i wear that (like a messenger bag) and than put my bag on..so i have 2 bags..

Most of the time, i just detach the strap and the case is enough to put in my regular use backpack along with my other books.. Since i'd be standing..and the bag is verticle..nothing heavy would be pushing against it, so its fine (espc since its in a case of its own), and i don't leave my computer in there wen i get to class.. i take it out..so not heavy books are lying ontop of it! Seems fine enough for me! :confused:

I had the same dilemia as you, didn't want a messenger bag cuz that could get heavy, and i didnt just want a sleeve (cuz sometimes i just take the computer on its own) so this case seemed to work perfect for me!

It doesn't show it, but it comes with a very comfertable and rugged strap!
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...8p1BSrgzon/4.SLID?mco=D6310A60&nplm=T7485LL/B

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
i carry all of my school things in an ogio metro backpack. it sits well on my back and the bag is VERY big, but my laptop is in a sleeve-like compartment against my back--but suspended so that it doesn't touch the ground. i also place my 12" ibook in a case for better protection.

on the same day that i bought my backpack, i bought a crumpler breakfast buffet for days when i don't have to carry much. it's a small bag--so i have room for my 'book and a folder/mag and not much else ('cept peripherals). it's a cool bag, but i don't carry it as much because it's not as comfortable as my backpack. much lighter, MUCH LIGHTER. but not comfy because my weight isn't evenly distributed.

i personally think the backpack is your best bet. much more ergonomically sound and you'll probably be able to carry much more. ideally, you should look into a "laptop backpack." a search on here or on ebags.com should pull up lots of results.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
PA
Applespider said:
Like this Looking for a carrying case/sleeve sticky thread at the top of the Buying Tips forum ;)
Yea, I looked there, I couldnt find this exact topic!
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
Okay, I did a search, and nothing turned up, so I want to apologize up front because it's possible that I missed a thread on this.
Thats why I wrote this!
Thanks for the opinions guys!!

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
Phatpat said:
I used a Timbuk2 Commute to carry my Pbook and books, I'd highly recommend it.
just ordered mine last night for my brand new pb. It's awesome. Highly recomended.

Godisgood17

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
Project

Hey, I'm a senior in high school and my senior project is on how heavy bookbags are effecting students backs. And in my research with talking to physical therapist and such, I have learned that to help relieve the strain on the back, it is better to balance your books on the front side of your body and the back. So it is smater and safer to carry the books (or laptop) separate instead of cramming it all into one bookbag. Hope this helps some!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.