Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/23/us-apple-results-idUSBRE90M1HD20130123

Subject line is the headline of the article I have posted above.

I guess I just don't understand it. Record quarter for revenue, record quarter for gross earnings, record quarter for iPhone sales (47+ mil), record iPad sales (22+ mil), signifcant improvements over the same quarter last year despite having one less week accounted for in this year's quarter, still improving at a torrid pace, and still the results are categorized as "disappointing". It seems really ridiculous to me. I know anaylsts have been used to meteoric growth quarter after quarter for the last few years, but at what point do they start putting projections and expectations in line with what can be "reasonably" expected? What a kick in the junk to release spectacular results like this, only to see your stock take a 6% hit. :S

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I can pretty much agree with that. I just think it's a joke that in this still floundering economy, when the most valueable company in the world releases record results, analysts can still call it "disappointing" and the stock takes a 10% hit. Ridiculous.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I can pretty much agree with that. I just think it's a joke that in this still floundering economy, when the most valueable company in the world releases record results, analysts can still call it "disappointing" and the stock takes a 10% hit. Ridiculous.

In 6 months the stock will be right back up there again. It goes in cycles. When it goes up like crazy, people sell off to make money and it goes back down. Then people buy it up cause it's cheap and it goes back up.

Worrying about day to day fluctuations because of some hack analyst is a waste of time.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
In 6 months the stock will be right back up there again. It goes in cycles. When it goes up like crazy, people sell off to make money and it goes back down. Then people buy it up cause it's cheap and it goes back up.

Worrying about day to day fluctuations because of some hack analyst is a waste of time.

I agree that the stock rises and falls due to profit taking after quick spikes in the price and things like that. But this is hardly a day to day fluctuation. Today's $60 drop is a culmination of a steady drop over the last several months.

This was the 4th most profitable quarter, EVER, by ANY company...EVER...and it is still viewed as tepid and categorically disappointing. Just seems ridiculous to me.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Yeah i'm down two 15" rMBP worth because of the selloff. I'd like to buy more now that's it's so cheap, but will be keeping a close watch on it for now. no point in selling it now. however if it goes back up and recoups the money i have lost, i will definitely sell it and avoid the stock. it's been good, it's been fun, but time to move on and accept that apple isn't the same without jobs.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
This was the 4th most profitable quarter, EVER, by ANY company...EVER...and it is still viewed as tepid and categorically disappointing. Just seems ridiculous to me.

Look at the story the media continues to tell:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2013/01/24/microsoft-fy-q2-adjusted-eps-beats-street-estimates
"One day after a disastrous earnings report from Apple, Microsoft this afternoon reported results for its fiscal second quarter ended December 31 that were slightly ahead of Street expectations."

Oh, the humanity! It was a disaster! :rolleyes:

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2013/01/24/microsoft-fy-q2-adjusted-eps-beats-street-estimates
"One day after a disastrous earnings report from Apple, Microsoft this afternoon reported results for its fiscal second quarter ended December 31 that were slightly ahead of Street expectations."

LOL, wow. That is flat out ridiculous. Just because AAPL didn't have another quarter of 30% overall growth, it's a disaster. They sold 47 million iPhones and 22 million iPads in one quarter for christ's sake!

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
LOL, wow. That is flat out ridiculous. Just because AAPL didn't have another quarter of 30% overall growth, it's a disaster. They sold 47 million iPhones and 22 million iPads in one quarter for christ's sake!

And it's not even a blogger. It's "Eric Savitz, Forbes Staff". And continue reading to see how non-judgmental the rest of his Microsoft article is towards Microsoft.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
And it's not even a blogger. It's "Eric Savitz, Forbes Staff". And continue reading to see how non-judgmental the rest of his Microsoft article is towards Microsoft.

I just went back and read the article. Wow...they beat the meager Street expectations by $500m in revenue and one cent EPS. MS gross revenue was $22m...Apple's was $54m. So stupid to think that success and "disaster" are gauged on where a company performs in relation to "Street expectations" as opposed to actual figures.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
How much growth did Apple have last quarter over the quarter before? What was the Profit to Revenue ratio from last quarter compared to the latest? How did their margins change? How did they change how new guidance will be set and reported? What is the guidance for next quarter?

Find out the answer to these and find out why the market values the stock less.

It isn't all revenue, profit and market cap folks. Other things do affect the outlook.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Grabbed this from an article about Amazon's #s they just released. Kinda funny how one company can tank because they miss analysts expectations, while another jumps up 10%...

Amazon sold many more things in the fourth quarter while barely bothering to eke out a profit.

Revenue went up 22 percent to $21.27 billion, while earnings per share fell to 21 cents from 38 cents in the fourth quarter of 2011.

In both cases, the numbers were less than expectations. Analysts had predicted revenue of $22.2 billion and 27 cents a share.

Despite this apparent bad news, investors were unfazed. The stock rose $24 a share, or 9 percent, in after-hours trading.

Makes complete sense... :S

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
All one can do is laugh at headlines like this one from Reuters:

Amazon shares set record after strong quarterly profit

The first part is true enough (in AH, anyway), but the last part is a flat lie, both in what it says and what it leaves out. Then there's the article itself.

I saw that and had to laugh. Stock up 9% after hours. Wall Street and the media certainly drinking the Bezos kool-aid. :D

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
they did not disappoint... economist have this crazy expectations for apple and it's like setting apple to fail. oh well apple is better than androids anyway. :cool:

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
How much growth did Apple have last quarter over the quarter before? What was the Profit to Revenue ratio from last quarter compared to the latest? How did their margins change? How did they change how new guidance will be set and reported? What is the guidance for next quarter?

Find out the answer to these and find out why the market values the stock less.

It isn't all revenue, profit and market cap folks. Other things do affect the outlook.

Finally, someone that gets it.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

I just had to check what the author, "Eric Savitz, Forbes Staff", had to say about Amazon:

Amazon Shares Spike As Street Applauds Better Margins
Amazon.com shares are rally smartly Wednesday morning after the online retail giant late yesterday posted an unusual Q4 report, which featured revenues and profits that fell short of Street estimates, but gross margins that topped Street expectations by several percentage points.

The article is mostly very matter-of-fact and non-judmental (except in positive ways), but it omits mention of the terrible guidance, headwinds like the increasing push for sales tax collection in more and more states, the refusal of Amazon to report Kindle sales, etc. My favorite part is again in bold; while he characterized Apple's mind-blowing earnings report as "disastrous" (in a Microsoft article, no less), Amazon's genuinely horrible report was merely "unusual", and it sparked a "smart rally". Interesting choice of words, "smartly".

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Stock analysts, speculators and future sellers should all be jailed and the practice made illegal. I don't see how it is any better than insider trading. It is all stock manipulation.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

"Analysts" have vested interests.

What's to say said analyst doesn't want to influence the price down so he can buy a sure thing at a discount?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
"Analysts" have vested interests.

What's to say said analyst doesn't want to influence the price down so he can buy a sure thing at a discount?

I have always considered that a possibility. Actually, I think it is less of a possibility and more of a certainty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.