PDA

View Full Version : ibook...arriving in 1 HR! Help !

dylomel
Oct 5, 2005, 08:25 PM
Hi, I am waiting for my 14" first mac---ibook . But I have never really operated any new macs, so I do not know what to do with the battery . I searched the forum, some said drain the battery into deep sleep first, but some said charge the battery to full....what should I do? It's the latest ibook on the site right now...Any help would be appreciated thanks !! :D

I am getting excited....but a little worried too :confused:

mjstew33
Oct 5, 2005, 08:30 PM
Ok, charge the battery to full. and then drain it. What I did when I got my 14", I put in a DVD on full brightness. Kills the battery rather quickly.

Do that!

ITASOR
Oct 5, 2005, 08:35 PM
Ok, charge the battery to full. and then drain it. What I did when I got my 14", I put in a DVD on full brightness. Kills the battery rather quickly.

Do that!

He's right. Full charge-->Full drain to sleep-->plug in, wake up from sleep, full charge again.

Do this once a month.

dylomel
Oct 5, 2005, 08:42 PM
Thank you for the tips ! Will it matter if I charge it when the ibook is On, or better charge it when it is off ? THanks!!! :p

dmw007
Oct 5, 2005, 08:44 PM

Do that!

Ah yes, the perfect battery drainer. That, or running folding@home.

Enjoy your new iBook G4! :)

dmw007
Oct 5, 2005, 08:46 PM
Thank you for the tips ! Will it matter if I charge it when the ibook is On, or better charge it when it is off ? THanks!!! :p

Not sure which one is "better".
But charging the battery with the iBook off will go faster.

dmw007
Oct 5, 2005, 08:52 PM
Could you by chance post some pics when your iBook G4 arrives? :)

We all love checking out pics of Macs! :)

Chundles
Oct 5, 2005, 08:55 PM

See above for battery care tips.

I just use my iBook as I see fit, if I want to use it on my lap sometimes I'll plug it in, sometimes I won't. But I do make sure once a month I let it run down then charge back up to full.

Charging your iBook when it's on is fine, it just takes a little longer. I presume when you said "off" you meant when it's in "sleep"? You'll very rarely need to turn the iBook off. But yes, charging it in "sleep" mode takes less time.

mjstew33
Oct 5, 2005, 09:10 PM
Off = faster. Sleep = fast, not as fast as off. On = charges slower.

Doesn't matter. ;)

GOOD LUCK! I know that feeling when waiting for your precious iBook... :D

dylomel
Oct 5, 2005, 09:38 PM
Could you by chance post some pics when your iBook G4 arrives? :)

We all love checking out pics of Macs! :)

I GOT the ibook!!! I will definately upload some pics by tomorrow night, because I do not have the camera with me now ! thx ;)

dmw007
Oct 7, 2005, 08:57 PM
I GOT the ibook!!! I will definately upload some pics by tomorrow night, because I do not have the camera with me now ! thx ;)

Cool, will look forward to seeing some pics! :)

jmufellow
Oct 7, 2005, 09:21 PM
Congrats on the iBook! I just got an iBook today too. :) 12" though. But very exciting stuff!

dmw007
Oct 7, 2005, 09:43 PM
Congrats on the iBook! I just got an iBook today too. :) 12" though. But very exciting stuff!

I happen to think that the 12" iBook G4 is the perfect size.

Congratulations to you as well jmufellow! :)

robcts
Oct 7, 2005, 09:59 PM
Congrats :D

terriyaki
Oct 7, 2005, 10:06 PM
Go to the supermarket and grab some Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

MacDaddy951
Oct 7, 2005, 10:17 PM
He's right. Full charge-->Full drain to sleep-->plug in, wake up from sleep, full charge again.

Do this once a month.

Hi i'm new to the mac world and can't wait to get my new apple ibook :D ... but why do u do this once a month? Also why don't u ever turn it off?

Chundles
Oct 7, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi i'm new to the mac world and can't wait to get my new apple ibook :D ... but why do u do this once a month? Also why don't u ever turn it off?

Doing this keeps the battery in top condition and allows the OS to ensure that the battery management processes are running properly.

I'm not saying don't ever turn it off but Mac OS X is very stable and doesn't suffer long-term slow down and as such doesn't need to be turned off regularly - I only really ever do it after an update that requires a restart. Whenever I travel with it I just close the lid and put it to sleep.

It's great to just pop the lid open and it's up and running straight away.

MacDaddy951
Oct 7, 2005, 11:57 PM
Doing this keeps the battery in top condition and allows the OS to ensure that the battery management processes are running properly.

I'm not saying don't ever turn it off but Mac OS X is very stable and doesn't suffer long-term slow down and as such doesn't need to be turned off regularly - I only really ever do it after an update that requires a restart. Whenever I travel with it I just close the lid and put it to sleep.

It's great to just pop the lid open and it's up and running straight away.

k thanks i'll keep that in mind when i get my ibook!!!!!!!! :D

dylomel
Oct 8, 2005, 09:44 PM
ok,,, sorry for the delay...Here are the pics
http://tinypic.com/efrnr7.jpg[/IMG]
http://tinypic.com/efro1s.jpg

however, i do have a problem with my camcorder,Panasonic GS 55. I tried using the firewire already, but the mac doesnt sense it ! what should I do ?? :confused:

RedTomato
Oct 8, 2005, 10:38 PM
I think you need to be running an application that can do something with the camcorder feed.

Turn the camcorder on, check its outputting via the firewire, (read the manual), plug in the firewire and startup iMovie.

Imovie has two modes, record and edit - check you're in record..

hopefully you will get an image on screen.

xoxo

RedTomato