Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArcticFox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Newberg, OR
Once I clear my $400 car repair bill and get rid of whatever debt I've gotten myself into I'd like to see about getting an iPod, but I have a question - can you carry data files, and if so, do you have to go through iTunes? Honestly I hate it when companies force you to go through software in order to load software on a drive or player. My flash drive is only 128MB, and it'd be nice if I could transfer stuff between computers when a network isn't available.

BTW - I'm a PC guy so if it can be done on a Mac....well that won't do me much good.

One more thing - if I get an iPod, it will be the 20GB since IMO the nano is a waste for anyone but excercise nuts, and I'd like to be able to both input AND output music to/from FM. Is that possible? I know Griffin has the iTrip but does that do both? Reason being is I have XM radio and would like to be able to listen to it wirelessly, but also be able to have my Mp3 collection in my car. I'm willing to buy two devices if necessary.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You can transfer data via USB (or firewire with an optional cable). Works just like an external hard drive. If formatted for PC, it will work on both. You can get an iFM (also made by Griffin). That has FM radio, a voice recorder, and can be used as a remote for it. Or an FMXtra for just the radio. iTrip just plays it through your car's stereo on an FM station (rather than using line-in or a cassette adapter). XM is different, and I'm not quite sure what you are wanting to do with it via the iPod.

Anyway I'd wait a week, because new model may be coming on the 12th.

ArcticFox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2005
Newberg, OR
Well, it's not necessary but I'd like to be able to walk around with an iPod in my pocket and having my XM unit broadcast it via FM to a reciever in the iPod.

As for new models, I gotta take care of the debt first so it will be more than a week, but it's nice to know that Apple will probably be updating the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.