Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
1.) If I root my phone and then reset it, is it still rooted or does it get unrooted?

2.) Can you change your mind if you do not like it rooted? Not sure why I would not like it rooted, just curious.

Thanks.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Do you mean factory reset? Not sure. If root is built into the image it will stay for sure. Otherwise I do not know of root retains through reset. If you just mean powercycling, then yes it will retain root.

It is also easy to unroot. Typically easy one click root programs have an unroot option.

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
1.) If I root my phone and then reset it, is it still rooted or does it get unrooted?

2.) Can you change your mind if you do not like it rooted? Not sure why I would not like it rooted, just curious.

Thanks.

1. Yes, it will stay rooted, even after a factory reset. Only way to revert to non-root is to unroot, which leads to....

2. Yes, you can unroot devices. Method will depend on the phone.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Rooting is like jailbreaking, if you update or restore the phone, it'll be unrooted. However the bootloader will remain unlocked.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

Thanks.

It depends on the method you use to root it. If you flash a pre-exsisting ROM that has the root already, you're always going to be rooted, unless you use something like a temporary unroot to use a service that doesn't let you when it is and maybe forget to turn it off (just my thought anyway).

If you just use an app that finds an exploit, then yes, it will be gone if you reset it, or if an update somehow gets through.

And yes, it's very easy to put a phone back to normal after you root it, as long as you have access to original images and recoveries. You'll most likely find all this at XDA. Sometimes it's just flashing the original ROMs with the recoveries attached to them, other times you have to use something like ODIN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.