PDA

View Full Version : Will iPhone 4 have support for iOS 7?

TrenttonY
Jan 25, 2013, 04:00 AM
?

FotoDirk
Jan 25, 2013, 04:46 AM
Nobody knows that at this moment. I doubt Apple knows this already.
This will dependent on the feature set in iOS7 and weather the older phone can support that without a problem.

Normally since the 3GS still support iOS6 you can expect that the 4 will still support iOS7 and the 3GS is dropped from the list of supported devices. But it will depend on how well the HW will handle the newer OS version.

Please note even in the event that your older iPhone supports the newer iOS, there will likely be features in the newer version that are not supported. For instance Siri is not supported by all older models or the panorama-function for the camera.

TacticalDesire
Jan 25, 2013, 05:01 AM
People who didn't get Siri aren't missing much

Menel
Jan 25, 2013, 08:51 AM
?Yes. It's still being sold as a new device.

3GS most likely will not.

GIZBUG
Jan 25, 2013, 09:11 AM
?

Highly unlikely

nepalisherpa
Jan 25, 2013, 09:18 AM
?

If 3GS got iOS6 then I am sure 4 will get iOS7.

BHP41
Jan 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
?

If history is any indicator then yes. You won't get all the bells and whistles but it should get it unless they do something radical with the OS. Your phone will still work and so will apps even if it doesn't. Developers are just now starting to require 5 for updates.

netdog
Jan 25, 2013, 09:29 AM
Yes, but not for any of the cool stuff that makes 7 ...well... 7

stuffradio
Jan 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
I think it will. Maybe even up to iOS 8, but with less and less features with each release. By the time iOS 8 comes out, I'm upgrading my iPhone 4 anyways.

From A Buick 8
Jan 25, 2013, 10:53 AM
Highly unlikely

Highly likely that it will, but just not every new feature will work on the 4.

----------

I use Siri often, to play music and send text, i can see that it might not be very useful if it has trouble understanding you. I love being able to ask her to play a specific artist and within seconds it does just that. I do wish the Siri screen would then close to reveal the music player.

hovscorpion12
Jan 25, 2013, 01:08 PM
IOS 7 will be released on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S???, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5.

Skika
Jan 25, 2013, 02:00 PM
IOS 7 will be released on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S???, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5.

No iPad 3 and no iPad 2?!

Why?

johnstanley
Jan 25, 2013, 02:27 PM
I'm sure it will get it, but probably not iOS 8. Apple is funny with how long they will wait to stop supporting a device. Usually a couple of years after warranty has run out on the last model sold.

Also I doubt iOS 7 will be a major upgrade and include any new features (like Siri) and won't require a vastly faster processor.

hovscorpion12
Jan 25, 2013, 02:31 PM
No iPad 3 and no iPad 2?!

Why?
The iPad 3 is no longer being produced. Sorry the iPad 2 will receive IOS 7. Most often products that are discontinued do not see updates.

Gunny011
Jan 25, 2013, 03:05 PM
The iPad 3 is no longer being produced. Sorry the iPad 2 will receive IOS 7. Most often products that are discontinued do not see updates.

The iPad 3 will definitely receieve IOS 7.

If history is to be followed the iPad 2 will not receive IOS 7 as it has already had 2 'major releases' of new software, similar to the orginal iPad. Then again the iPad 2 has moreorless the same internals as the iPad Mini and the mini will obviously receieve IOS 7.

tann
Jan 26, 2013, 10:26 AM
The iPad 3 will definitely receieve IOS 7.

If history is to be followed the iPad 2 will not receive IOS 7 as it has already had 2 'major releases' of new software, similar to the orginal iPad. Then again the iPad 2 has moreorless the same internals as the iPad Mini and the mini will obviously receieve IOS 7.

I think that A5 devices will receive the new OS in some/all capacity (depending on device) and the A4 will receive a very limited version (depending on what it is).

errant
Jan 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
Yes. It's still being sold as a new device.

3GS most likely will not.

by the time iOS 7 comes about, the iPhone 4 probably won't be sold as a new device any longer. 4S will probably be as far back as it goes.

but I imagine the 4 will still get MOST features of iOS 7, since at the moment it currently is being sold as new and will be right up until the debut of the next iPhone, same as how 3GS gets most of the iOS 6 features, even if it does struggle under the weight of it.

Sedrick
Jan 26, 2013, 12:36 PM
It all depends on how much or how little they improve iOS7. If the past is any indication, there's no reason it won't run on iPhone 4.

Of course, there will be things left out, but the idea is to get you to upgrade.

TacticalDesire
Jan 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
The single core processor and the graphics chip will probably hinder iOS 7 from running smoothly but if the 3GS is any indication of things to come, the iPhone 4 will get iOS 7.

irDigital0l
Jan 26, 2013, 01:12 PM
I dont think so.

The iPhone 4 has iOS 4, 5, and 6.

Apple caps off supporting a device after 3 OS updates (the only exception is the 3GS which has 4)

Plus the iPhone 4 will be dropped this year as the iPhone 4S will take its place, the iPhone 5 will move down as the iPhone 5S become the new phone. Also with rumors surrounding a less expensive iPhone, I think Apple will not support the iPhone 4.

BlaqkAudio
Jan 26, 2013, 01:52 PM
I dont think so.

The iPhone 4 has iOS 4, 5, and 6.

Apple caps off supporting a device after 3 OS updates (the only exception is the 3GS which has 4)

Plus the iPhone 4 will be dropped this year as the iPhone 4S will take its place, the iPhone 5 will move down as the iPhone 5S become the new phone. Also with rumors surrounding a less expensive iPhone, I think Apple will not support the iPhone 4.
Actually Apple used to stop supporting after 2 major updates, but they stopped doing so with the 3GS and the 4 after they moved to tiered models. Also, as others have already pointed out, the 3GS received iOS 6 despite Apple ceasing sales.

irDigital0l
Jan 26, 2013, 02:03 PM
Actually Apple used to stop supporting after 2 major updates, but they stopped doing so with the 3GS and the 4 after they moved to tiered models. Also, as others have already pointed out, the 3GS received iOS 6 despite Apple ceasing sales.

Hmm, I thought Apple was still selling the iPhone 3GS when they announced iOS 6 during WWDC in June.

But thanks for clearing it up.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jan 26, 2013, 03:03 PM
I would say with 75% certainty that it will have iOS 7 (albeit with capabilities removed). That is the current trend.

You are ludicrous if you think the iPad 2 will get iOS 7, but the iPad 3 will not.... I understand that the 3 is no longer being sold, but it is still a "newer" device.

Hmm, I thought Apple was still selling the iPhone 3GS when they announced iOS 6 during WWDC in June.

You are right it was. I think what that poster was getting at was that the day iOS 6 was actually released the 3GS had stopped being sold. It was virtually at the same time. I don't think a 3GS was ever shipped with iOS 6 preinstalled. That's what he meant.

mrsir2009
Jan 26, 2013, 03:10 PM
It will, but the feature set will likely be limited, like iOS6 was with the 3GS.

Abazigal
Jan 26, 2013, 09:09 PM
IOS6 for 3GS was literally just an upgrade in nothing but name only. People lost google maps and youtube, for apple maps, shared photo stream, do not disturb and call-decline.

I suspect it may be the same for iphone4. Notice how it is the last phone to use a single core-processor? If you want an OS that takes full advantage of those 2 chores, then the iPhone4 will have to be sacrificed. They will likely still get a few scraps here and there, but probably none of IOS7's key selling points (whatever they may be).

Menel
Jan 27, 2013, 06:30 AM

They ceased sales... But they ceased sales when they released iOS6. Weeks and months prior to iOS6 launch they were selling 3GS as new.

Same situation will be for iPhone4 and iOS7; also iPad2 and iOS7.

G369
Apr 23, 2013, 10:05 AM
I have an iPad 1st and an iPhone 4, and actually I don't care, since every ios updates are just a bad copy of what Cydia already offers. ;)

chekz0414
Apr 27, 2013, 03:28 PM
The budget iPhone is rumored to have an A5 chip, with a 3.5inch screen and a plastic exterior with colors, If that releases, then that means the A5 will last into iOS 8, with the first devices to be cut being the iPad 2, and 3. iPad mini and iPod touch 5th gen, the new budget iPhone will probably get limited 8 support...

ajvizzgamer101
Apr 27, 2013, 04:24 PM
?

Very limited at best.

ImpKali
Apr 27, 2013, 09:01 PM
Generally, there is always the current iPhone and two previous iPhones being sold in circulation at any given time. This means when the 5S is released, it'll probably make the 5 the "cheap" iPhone and the 4S the new "budget" iPhone, replacing the 4 in that regard.

I honestly think that iOS 6 is the last incarnation the 4 will see. The 4S may be able to hold out for another generation, due to having pretty good specs to run iOS in any case (it's on par with the current iPod touches, so if they drop it, it's to sell more modern iPhones.)

bozzykid
Apr 27, 2013, 10:46 PM
I honestly think that iOS 6 is the last incarnation the 4 will see.

As many times as Tim Cook mentioned the iPhone 4 in the conference call earlier this week (mentioned it more than the iPhone 5), it is clear it will be getting the update. Apple has put a lot of resources into the manufacturing process just recently to lower the cost so the Apple can push it hard in Asia. No way they leave it out of the next update.

WeegieMac
Apr 28, 2013, 03:29 AM

iPad 3 will get iOS 7, stop your "I know what I'm talking about tone" and try talking sense.

If iPad 2 and iPad mini get iOS 7 (which they will) then the iPad 3 will. They run off the same chip architecture and the iPad 3 has twice the RAM of both the 2 and mini.

Apps are still produced that run perfectly on the 3, so you can safely take it as given that the 3 will get iOS 7. The 3GS is no longer sold and it got iOS 6 when it was replaced as the entry level iPhone by the 4 and yet still gets updates.

Quit scaremongering.

DesertEagle
Apr 28, 2013, 03:34 AM
It will, but the feature set will likely be limited, like iOS6 was with the 3GS.

Or iOS 5 with the iPhone 4 (ref. Siri)

AppleFanatic10
May 3, 2013, 03:05 AM
?

I highly doubt it.. But the 3GS did have updates up to iOS 6.. so maybe?

I do agree with ajvizzgamer101; if the iPhone 4 does get iOS 7, then it'll be very limited and it'll hardly have any new features.

pk7
May 3, 2013, 05:40 PM
I think the current pattern is 4 iOS versions.

iPhone 3GS: iOS 3, 4, 5, 6
iPhone 4: iOS 4, 5, 6, 7
iPhone 4S: iOS 5, 6, 7, 8
iPhone 5: iOS 6, 7, 8, 9

and so on.

What Apple will actually do is anyone's guess though.

TheMTtakeover
May 4, 2013, 08:31 AM

They were still selling the 3GS at that time

Risco
May 4, 2013, 08:32 AM
Basic yes, in reality get a new phone!

alexander25
May 4, 2013, 09:49 AM
i hope not.

more people bitching why they didn't get a certain feature.

spyguy10709
May 4, 2013, 10:23 AM
IOS6 for 3GS was literally just an upgrade in nothing but name only. People lost google maps and youtube, for apple maps, shared photo stream, do not disturb and call-decline.

I suspect it may be the same for iphone4. Notice how it is the last phone to use a single core-processor? If you want an OS that takes full advantage of those 2 chores, then the iPhone4 will have to be sacrificed. They will likely still get a few scraps here and there, but probably none of IOS7's key selling points (whatever they may be).

Actually, we got a much better google maps and youtube experience from the app store. We also got Facebook integration, passbook, and location based reminders.

glsillygili
May 4, 2013, 10:46 AM
3gs should have stopped getting updates at 5.1.1 but yea i think it will be the last version the the ip4

Nyy8
May 4, 2013, 10:49 AM
I think it will, but not to the full exact as 5/4s. Like another poster said, Apple has been using Dual-Core now for 3 years? A full dual core Optimized would be great for iOS. But to do this, we need to sacrifice the 4. As great as it was for it's time, I think it's failing behind.

Who knows? Maybe Apple is going to shock us and have 3GS and 4 support (I hope not I want to move on with iOS!)

bniu
May 5, 2013, 05:39 PM
Apple generally releases the new iOS for all iOS devices still being sold at the time of the new iOS announcement and occasionally will release the new iOS for devices long since discontinued.

zachlegomaniac
May 5, 2013, 06:46 PM

I use Siri to set my alarm. It's nice, but that's all the use it gets.

MattInOz
May 5, 2013, 07:08 PM
I think it will, but not to the full exact as 5/4s. Like another poster said, Apple has been using Dual-Core now for 3 years? A full dual core Optimized would be great for iOS. But to do this, we need to sacrifice the 4. As great as it was for it's time, I think it's failing behind.

Who knows? Maybe Apple is going to shock us and have 3GS and 4 support (I hope not I want to move on with iOS!)

Sorry I don't understand why that would be the case. Doesn't Apple use a hardware agnostic approach to threading. GCD is very much an extraction layer and could manage a bunch of processes on one core as well as 10.

That way they can just thread optimize the code then on the hardware side use as many cores as seems advantageous, but other than not having raw hardware ability the 4 isn't locked out by better code threading.

Am3r1ca16
May 6, 2013, 11:30 AM
iphone 4S, iphone 5 and iphone 5S/6
iPad 3 and iPad 4
iPad mini

will get iOS 7

iphone 4 and ipad 2 are in the grey area.

I mean if the iPad mini gets a update which it will the iPad 2 should also. Since the iPad mini is just a smaller version of the iPad 2. but then again the iPad 2 has had iOS 4,5 and 6. But even on iOS 6 it doesn't get Siri or 3D maps or any good features like in the iPad 4.

i think Apple is going to be apple and just stop updating the iPad 2 even though it can support it.

Just like they did with the iPod Touch 3 Gen. Remember that the iPod Touch 3rd gen have almost the same interior as the iPhone 3GS. Yes they still sold the 3GS which is why they update it to iOS 6 but my point is if the 3GS could update to iOS 6 then the iPod Touch 3rd gen could have to.

3GS is not getting iOS 7 since Apple themselves have stated it. So there's no arguing about that.

Edit* since Apple still sells the ipad 2 it will get iOS 7. i guess its going to follow the 3GS foot steps unless if they release the iPad 5 and discontinue the iPad 2. But for now it is getting iOS 7 as of today.

But makes me wonder if they don't drop the iPhone 4 support then will iOS 7 not drop any support from any previous devices?

pod5g
May 15, 2013, 08:31 PM
Yep

uhmorphous
Jun 8, 2013, 09:34 AM
iPhone 3S and 4's limitations in iOS 6 relate only to Siri, with full functionality otherwise. With regard to iPad 3 and iOS 7, people who bought iPad 3 as a new product as late as 4th quarter 2012 are still under warranty. It just doesn't make sense for Apple to restrict an iOS upgrade for that model.

Agreed, Am3r1ca16. Since iPad mini has essentially the same guts as iPad 2, and it would stand to reason the newly-introduced device will upgrade to iOS 7, I don't see any reason for iPad 2 to be excluded from the upgrade.

blasto2236
Jun 8, 2013, 11:20 AM
iPhone 3S and 4's limitations in iOS 6 relate only to Siri, with full functionality otherwise.

False. The 3GS and 4 missed out on several other key features of iOS 6 such as 3D flyover maps, turn by turn, panorama mode, and I'm sure at least a handful of others that I'm missing.

Edited to clarify that Siri was a missing feature of iOS 5, not iOS 6.

moonman239
Jun 8, 2013, 12:43 PM
Yes, OP. Each iOS device is eligible to receive all iOS updates until about 1 year after Apple stops selling devices of its model. As long as iOS7 is released by November, the iPhone 4 will be eligible to receive it.

irDigital0l
Jun 8, 2013, 01:27 PM
iPhone 4 will get supported but not all the features.

(My predictions based on latest rumors)

UI redesign
I hope it does, but it depends on how much Apple is redesigning the UI. If there changing beyond the app icon and pretty things up, I'm not sure the A4 chip could handle a total revamp.

Flickr and Vimeo integration
iPhone 4 already has Facebook and Twitter integrated. Plus iPhone 4 is still the #1 iPhone for Flickr (beats out both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5).

AirDrop
I think AirDrop will require newer devices that have better Wi-Fi tech (Dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, etc.) Plus iPhone 4s have the antennae issue.

Camera/Photo
I dont really see the iPhone 4 getting anything new, it didn't get Panorama so filters, timer, burst mode, etc. all would be better on newer iPhones with 8MP camera.

Maps and Siri
Siri never was on iPhone 4, Flyover and turn by turn isn't supported on iPhone 4. Nothing for iPhone 4.

iRadio
Don't see why iPhone 4 can't support it. Its a service and it might be integrated within the default Music app/iTunes or a separate app.

Menel
Jun 9, 2013, 08:16 PM
iPhone 4 will get supported but not all the features.

(My predictions based on latest rumors)

UI redesign
I hope it does, but it depends on how much Apple is redesigning the UI. If there changing beyond the app icon and pretty things up, I'm not sure the A4 chip could handle a total revamp.

Flickr and Vimeo integration
iPhone 4 already has Facebook and Twitter integrated. Plus iPhone 4 is still the #1 iPhone for Flickr (beats out both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5).

AirDrop
I think AirDrop will require newer devices that have better Wi-Fi tech (Dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, etc.) Plus iPhone 4s have the antennae issue.

Camera/Photo
I dont really see the iPhone 4 getting anything new, it didn't get Panorama so filters, timer, burst mode, etc. all would be better on newer iPhones with 8MP camera.

Maps and Siri
Siri never was on iPhone 4, Flyover and turn by turn isn't supported on iPhone 4. Nothing for iPhone 4.

iRadio
Don't see why iPhone 4 can't support it. Its a service and it might be integrated within the default Music app/iTunes or a separate app.

Dual stream N is of no consequence.
BT 4.0 maybe critical... If it uses that to negotiate for systems not on the same network.