PDA

View Full Version : Record Industry suing Satellite Radio?

MacBytes
Oct 6, 2005, 08:10 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Record Industry suing Satellite Radio? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051006091020)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

BOOMBA
Oct 6, 2005, 08:22 AM
OK, but can't I record off FM now?
Or is that illegal?

jdechko
Oct 6, 2005, 08:37 AM
Man, I hate the RIAA. I wish that they'd just find a new hobby. I guess thats what happens when you have too much time/money... you just start suing people.

Lacero
Oct 6, 2005, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't put it past them. Those greedy bastards will go after anything and anyone for a buck.

jvaska
Oct 6, 2005, 08:39 AM
Hello. I once listened to a CD. Please sue me now.

The RIAA simply sucks.

840quadra
Oct 6, 2005, 08:46 AM
Go recording industry!

Lots of good press going forward in regards to the Record labels now!
:rolleyes:

as the other poster stated, I can already record radio, and I also record TV. BETTER stop allowing the production of VCR's and Video capture devices or capture cards, as someone MIGHT pirate with those devices.

I can't trust an industry that doesn't trust it's customer base, the RIAA is really starting to look like a bunch of money hungry Baboons!

Good grief Charlie Brown!

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&type=profile&dateline=1127904880

MoparShaha
Oct 6, 2005, 09:15 AM
BETTER stop allowing the production of VCR's and Video capture devices or capture cards, as someone MIGHT pirate with those devices.
They're already trying. Sad thing is, they're probably going to be successful.

I hate these guys, I really do.

ibook30
Oct 6, 2005, 09:17 AM
REVOLUTION!
No more recording ! All music must now be live - I'm installing a stage in my car now for drive time music.
Sad part is the artists loose out- but man I want to wash my hands of these guys.

Yvan256
Oct 6, 2005, 09:39 AM
Do you ever catch yourself humming a tune? That's because your recorded that tune into your brain. That's an illegal copy and you know it.

Please turn yourself over to the RIAA. ;)

kiwi-in-uk
Oct 6, 2005, 10:59 AM
Do you ever catch yourself humming a tune? That's because your recorded that tune into your brain. That's an illegal copy and you know it.

Please turn yourself over to the RIAA. ;)
Now ... is it the recording that is illegal (and do I get a discount because I am getting old and senile and forgetful some of the time?) or is it the illegal reproduction of the music? And if it is the reproduction, is it only when others can hear it (i.e. humming or - dread the thought in my case - actually singing), or when you just *can't* get a tune out of your mind (in which case would there be a class action suit against addictive tunes somewhere along the track?).

narco
Oct 6, 2005, 10:59 AM
I think with the age of the internet, the RIAA knows it's only going to be a matter of time before bands go straight to the consumer and cut-out the middleman. Maybe that's why they're suing every chance they get now to prepare for the dark days ahead.

Fishes,
narco.

kiwi-in-uk
Oct 6, 2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah - so now we know where all the royalties from iTunes go - not into the hands of the artists (<10c) but into the hands of lawyers who are suing children, dead people, satellites, and people who hum (and whistle?).

mrsebastian
Oct 6, 2005, 11:11 AM
lol what a bunch of [bleeps]... and the hits just keep on coming.

well yesterday i posted about boycotting the entire music industry, but that's obviously not very practical and takes a lot of effort. perhaps we'd all be better served by filing a huge civil suit against the riaa. i demand to be paid damages for the mental anguish i suffer, while having to read about more of this [bleep] everyday! as part of our lawsuit, another charge will be made for the mistreatment of musicians and the creativity that has been all but destroyed by the riaa's money-hungry ways. any fellow mac users that are lawyers here? this could be your winning lottery ticket!

shamino
Oct 6, 2005, 05:49 PM
OK, but can't I record off FM now?
Or is that illegal?
Depending on who you talk to, that's always been illegal.

The Betamax lawsuit concluded that personal recording for the purpose of time-shifting (in order to watch the show at a later time) is considered fair-use (and therefore legal), but it left a big gray area regarding archival recordings of shows for personal use. (Recordings for redistribution are, of course, illegal)

Personally, I don't think the industry has a case here, but they may sue anyway, hoping to settle out of court. The big question is whether XM and Sirius will have the cojones (and the budget) to fight the suit in court, or if they'll back down and give in in order to avoid a fight.

macnulty
Oct 6, 2005, 05:56 PM
Screw the record industry but support the artist. Pirate the recording but buy a ticket to the show whether you go or not.

shamino
Oct 7, 2005, 09:51 AM
Screw the record industry but support the artist. Pirate the recording but buy a ticket to the show whether you go or not.
What makes you think the artist gets any more from the concert than he does from record sales?

The concert promoters are just as slimy as the record companies. Many times, they're the same company.

And how is it supporting the artist to buy a ticket to a show you aren't attending. Does it really help them to play to an empty (but sold-out) venue? I think most artists would see this as "they hate my music but want to give me charity". I think they'd find it quite insulting.

macnulty
Oct 7, 2005, 11:04 PM
What makes you think the artist gets any more from the concert than he does from record sales?

The concert promoters are just as slimy as the record companies. Many times, they're the same company.

And how is it supporting the artist to buy a ticket to a show you aren't attending. Does it really help them to play to an empty (but sold-out) venue? I think most artists would see this as "they hate my music but want to give me charity". I think they'd find it quite insulting.

Artists make much more money from concerts then record sales. My point is by purchasing the ticket (wether you go or not), you are supporting the artist to continue producing the music you like. The flow of money in any direction is always followed by slimy people, the best you can do is contribute to the money stream that has the biggest impact you favor.

BTW, I do have associates who are concert promoters. "A" level acts do their own promoting, "B" level acts rely on promoters to maximize their tickets sales to the appropriate venue. ie you don't headline "The Killers" at a stadium or "Three Doors Down" at a dinner theater.

My other point is if you are gonna pirate the recording, you give back to the artist by buying a ticket to their concert. I wouldn't know if they cared if anyone was there or not.

BOOMBA
Oct 9, 2005, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't put it past them. Those greedy bastards will go after anything and anyone for a buck.
Speaking of greedy bastards, I know it's a joke, but what do you think the odds of THIS happening are?

Microsoft in talks to buy “every song ever recorded” (http://macenstein.com/default/archives/31)

:(