Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smooshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Hi everyone,
I got a new iBook a couple of weeks ago, mostly to use at school. I have an iPod which I usually charge with the wall adapter or on my PC, which holds all my music. I don't want to start using my iBook for this because my PC has a huge memory to hold music, to I'd rather just keep the iTunes music on there. My iPod power adapter died the other day, so now I can only charge at a computer. I'm going away for the weekend, and I'd like to charge my iPod on my iBook while I'm gone. Will it erase all my songs because I don't have them in this computer? Please let me know.. thanks!

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
This shouldn't be a problem.

It asks if it wants you to sync the iBook lib with your iPod. Just say no and it'll just charge and, if you have disc use enabled, it'll mount as a drive.

Jomoma

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
I have an iPod and iBook, so i do this all the time. I have my music on an external drive.

Anyway, When you plug your iPod in, it should give you a warning that the ipod is attached to another computer's music library. It'll ask you if you want to replace the music with the iBook's music. Just click no, and your ipod will mount but not change the music.

The iPod will only charge while the computer is awake, and the iPod helps drain your iBook's battery pretty quick, so make sure your iBook is plugged in and use a program like jiggler (google for it) to keep your iBook awake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.