Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luke.111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
NJ
Hi.

I'm about to become the owner of a used PowerBook G4 15" (SuperDrive). I don't anticipate any problems, but would like some advice.

The transaction is being completed through Escrow.com, and I have 2 days to inspect the item. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can run this machine through its paces to ensure that there are no major problems? Thanks in advance for your help.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If the PowerBook happens to come with AppleCare, you in luck. A continued warranty for three years from delivery. Also it will contain Tech Tools Pro, a good way to run a test on Mac hardware and software. If the PowerBook is less than 1 year old AppleCare is still available.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'd run an extended hardware test and use that machine as my primary for the next few days, just to see what's going on.

As the other reply said, though, AppleCare should calm your nerves a bit. Make sure the seller transfers the agreement to you.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
try everything. put in CD, DVD, etc, burn CD DVD etc. plug in all USB ports, firewire ports and whatever. try all network forms, wired and wireless. try out the modem if you actually have a way to do that. open and close it. put it to sleep, wake it up. reboot it. adjust volume and brightness. type. with all of the keys. yeah, all that. open programs, close programs, run as many programs at once as you can. if you can do all of this in the shortest amount of time as possible then you will probably be ok. and by loading the computer so heavily so quickly, you are likely to find out if there are any problems. also look closely at the entire screen to see if there are numerous dead pixels. . . you likely cant do anyting if there are only a few, but if there are more than a dozen or so and it is very noticable then you have a problem, but you are probably ok and wont find any problems.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
do a hardware test with the disks that come with the computer. Also, as a poster said, bring techtool or diskwarrior along (if that's not being included in the sale) and test the computer.

alexeismertin

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Bristol, UK
This may help

Try out the 2 apps by Coconut Flavour. They will tell you when & where you PB was made (showing its age) & the quality of the battery (showing you how much it was used).

Its a guide and obviously won't help find any hardware faults.

luke.111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
NJ
thanks

Hi, All.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I put the PowerBook through its paces over two days and it passed everything with flying colors. Those little Coconut apps are neat! Despite grumblings about the current lineup and with the impending updates, I must say that so far I'm impressed with this PB. Thanks again for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.