PDA

View Full Version : 1.67Ghz mac mini

Err
Oct 6, 2005, 03:36 PM
So now that mac mini's are 1.5Ghz when is someone going to overclock one to 1.67Ghz STABLE, I'm not talking about the 1 or 2 people that claimed to do it with the 1.42Ghz, even if it was true. I want a 1.67 stable mini!!!!! or dare I think 1.73Ghz haha toasty :eek:

bursty
Oct 6, 2005, 03:38 PM
So now that mac mini's are 1.5Ghz when is someone going to overclock one to 1.67Ghz STABLE, I'm not talking about the 1 or 2 people that claimed to do it with the 1.42Ghz, even if it was true. I want a 1.67 stable mini!!!!! or dare I think 1.73Ghz haha toasty :eek:
Why? The performance difference wouldnt be worth the risk of frying it. Just up the ram and be happy. Or buy an iMac.

mjstew33
Oct 6, 2005, 03:58 PM
If you got that kind of money to waste ... be our guest! I wouldn't risk it.

Err
Oct 6, 2005, 03:59 PM
aahh i agree, but i think its still a fun project.

MacDawg
Oct 6, 2005, 04:00 PM
1.5 to 1.67?

Whatever

Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

DaftUnion
Oct 6, 2005, 04:02 PM
Wouldn't even be worth it, as suggested before, just buy an iMac if your so concerned about raw processor speed.

SpaceMagic
Oct 6, 2005, 04:04 PM
It's not about speed... its about "because you can." People who overclock KNOW they can get faster machines... they just do it for the thrill. The i-got-something-more-for-free thrill if it works.. or the oh-well-i-tried down if fail.

MacDawg
Oct 6, 2005, 04:11 PM
It's not about speed... its about "because you can." People who overclock KNOW they can get faster machines... they just do it for the thrill. The i-got-something-more-for-free thrill if it works.. or the oh-well-i-tried down if fail.

If there was a real return, then OK, but this is minimal and not noticable
It is ego driven (look what I did), not productivity driven (look what I can do with it)

Err
Oct 6, 2005, 04:42 PM
If there was a real return, then OK, but this is minimal and not noticable
It is ego driven (look what I did), not productivity driven (look what I can do with it)

what is your point? I think its fun to break out the soldering iron and up my xbench score by 5... you dont, we now know that, now leave the thread alone.

wPod
Oct 6, 2005, 05:19 PM
if i had the cash to throw down for a mini (and not worry much if i fried the mother board) then i would totally try it!! im kinda curious if apple changed the motherboard any, or just threw in the same motherboards with the overclocking that was done to get them to 1.5 in the first place! yeah yeah, apple is a little smarter than that. modding computers is fun, just for the challange if nothing else.

MarkCollette
Oct 6, 2005, 06:03 PM
I've got one up on you. I just bought a lazy suzy for my dinner table, and I put my Mac mini on it, and spin it as fast as I can, to "overclock" my 4200 RPM hard drive up to 5400 RPM.

Lord Blackadder
Oct 6, 2005, 06:28 PM

You'll ruin the good looks of the Mini with the necessary fans and heatsinks. It will require some medieval case mods to get everything ventilated.

But yeah, with the proper fiddling I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to overclock the 1.5 Mini to 1.7 or 1.8GHz and be stable.

The Mini uses 7447 CPUs and PowerLogix, GigaDesigns and others have already overclocked the snot out of them for well over a year now.

I'm sure it will be done at some point - there are already a decent number of people overclocking eMacs.