Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi folks,

I've had a Mac Mini since January 2012.

It's a 2.5ghz with 8gb 1333 DDR.

I have a VirginMedia internet connection using a Belkin Superhub.

Initially, I was running Lion and the Mac worked a treat without any problems. Then I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Shortly afterwards, I started getting internet drop-off on wifi roughly every hour or so. All access to the internet would cease for around 3-4 minutes - nothing would bring it back. I thought it was a wifi problem, so I purchased two D-Link 500 Powerline adaptors and moved to Ethernet (shutting down wifi). The problem persisted. It happens on wifi and on Ethernet - even if one or the other is turned off.

The problem does not occur on any other device in the house (I have two iPhone 5, two iPod Touches, a laptop, xBox, iPad and AppleTV). When it happens on the Mac, I can access the internet freely on all the other devices while the Mac sits frozen. I can perform any other activities on the Mac at the time, just not the internet.

The kind of message I was getting in Console referred to mdworker and "heartbeat detected".

I got Virgin out to test my connection, but the line is fine and my setup on the router is fine.

I set a dedicated IP address for the Mac on the router, and set the Mac to use DHCP with a specific IP address.

I set the router to filter the Mac via its MAC address. The problem persisted.

So, with five days of my warranty remaining, I took it to Apple and they tested it - but could not replicated the problem, so they assumed it was an environmental issue and sent me home with my Mac Mini unchanged.

As soon as I got home, the problem returned - losing the internet connection roughly once an hour for 3-4 minutes.

So, I reinstalled Mountain Lion. The problem persisted.

So, I wiped the drive and installed a fresh version of Mountain Lion. The problem persisted.

I took it back to Apple and they agreed to look at it again, even though I was now out of warranty. They couldn't replicate the problem.

They put me back to Lion and I took the Mac home. So far so good - the Mac seemed to be working fine.

Then, the problem returned - albeit in a slightly different fashion. I still get the internet freezing roughly every hour or so, but it's now for only about 20 seconds at a time.

When it happens now, I get this kind of message:

26/01/2013 12:30:44.923 com.apple.usbmuxd: _handle_timer heartbeat detected detach for device 0x54-192.168.0.14:0!

And this:

26/01/2013 17:14:30.022 com.apple.SecurityServer: Killing auth hosts

26/01/2013 17:14:30.022 com.apple.SecurityServer: Session 100043 destroyed

I thought it was perhaps Spotlight trying to index an external drive - but I've exluded the drive from being indexed, and it's still happening.

I'm convinced the Mac is faulty, but I can't prove it - and Apple keep saying it's an environmental issue.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I would really appreciate some help.

Best,

CDC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.