Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiobiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
i recently purchase a quad core 2.5 G5 and want to add bluetooth to it. I did some research and bought the card from DV warehouse and it came in the mail today. however, it does not fit in my mac. the instructions that i have found for putting it in say that you take out the fan/speaker assembly and there is a modem under that and the connections for the bluetooth card above it. In my G5 11,2 there is no modem and there is no connector for the card, only two post mounts for a card. this model of G5 has the built in antenna and i found the cords that are supposed to connect to the card but there is no way to connect it to the mainboard...so basically my qustion is: did i screw up and buy the wrong card, or did i get the right card and i am just missing something...attached are some photos of the mainboard area and the bluetooth card.

thanks in advance!
Matt

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    608.4 KB · Views: 214
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    625 KB · Views: 174
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    663.3 KB · Views: 198

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You got the wrong thing. The card you have is for non-late 2005 G5's. You need a more expensive rarer Bluetooth/Airport sled for your machine.

audiobiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster

Umbreon

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
I have an 11,2 (Late 2005) G5 and a month ago I ordered a combined Airport/Bluetooth card from DV Warehouse. Works great--100% trouble-free, as you'd expect from a built-in card that the computer is designed to support.

Here's what you want (it's $88 refurbished with a 90-day warranty):

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Apple-Ai...ate-2005--MA252G/A---Refurbished-p-36513.html

(The third link on your list looks like the right one, but I can't be positive.)

By the way, your machine has 2 antenna cables that go to this card--one is for Bluetooth and the other for Airport--they're not marked and it doesn't matter which one goes into which socket in the new card. Just be sure to snap them in all the way and not to bend them while you're doing it!

Last edited:

audiobiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Cool thanks! it appears as though the one on ebay is a good deal. the thing i am now wondering about is the last link that i posted from DV Warehouse. it is a different card but it says that it provides wifi and bluetooth for late 2005 G5's. would this work in my computer, or do i need the more expensive one?

Umbreon

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Cool thanks! it appears as though the one on ebay is a good deal. the thing i am now wondering about is the last link that i posted from DV Warehouse. it is a different card but it says that it provides wifi and bluetooth for late 2005 G5's. would this work in my computer, or do i need the more expensive one?

The one I referenced above is a combination kit that includes the "runway card" (which is a daughterboard for the actual Bluetooth/Airport card), plus the Bluetooth/Airport card itself and the connecting rivets. The runway card/daughterboard plugs into a dedicated slot in your G5 near where the antenna wires emerge. So if you don't have an existing "runway card", which looks like this:

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Apple-Ru...5-(Late-2005)---922-7152-----NEW-p-35315.html

then you'll need the combination kit I cited. But if you already have the runway card ("Airport/runway"--cute, huh?), then you'd just need the actual Bluetooth/Airport card that plugs into the runway card, plus the rivet kit--see the details on the page I referenced above, which lists the sub-components of the kit. (In my case, I ordered that combination kit since my computer never had Airport/Bluetooth installed.)

Last edited:

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I rarely use Bluetooth, as a prelude...

Anyway, I have a PCI USB 2.0 card in my G5, 4 USB ports outisde, one inside.

One the inside USB 2.0 port, I stuck a Bluetooth 2.0 USB card, less than an inch long. Being inside a metal enclosure limits speeds, but I really don't use it much, and it cost $2, so it was worth it for me. Manufacturer of the chip was Cambridge Silicon. If you want better speeds and range, put the USB plug into a socket outside of the metal G5 case.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
cool, so would having that allow me to use my magic mouse and apple wireless keyboard? if so then i will just buy one of those...

-Matt
Well yeah, if you got a Bluetooth 2.0 card and a BT keyboard and mouse, yes, just remember that it a lot depends of reception, so if they're you're main keyboard/mouse, make sure to stick your USB BT 2.0 card somewhere outside the metal case and near-enough by to the actual peripherals..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.