Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
This is from Sept. I didnt see a thread on this when i did a brief search and just wanted to show the differences in the latest OS on both though this isnt JB 4.2and ill assume this isnt the latest iOS 6 either which i think is 6.1.
I thought it gave a decent look at who makes what easier, particularly in notifications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwwJ8kgmcdc

Here is one with both latest if you want to see that too but i dont think it is as nicely done by the reviewer and he did it on Tablets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1mJ-CtYmHk

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I disagree that jelly bean makes android as stable as iOS. It's a definite step in the right direction but there's still no contest; iOS is still by far the most stable and smooth.

Agree that Android does do notifications better.

Agree that Android does have a better lock screen.

Prefer iCloud to Androids cloud features.

Siri is better than Google voice search at setting reminders, alarms and calendar events. Also supports geolocation reminders. GVS is a lot faster and tends to know more about facts and trivia than Siri.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with either OS :p

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
So what's more stable? The apps? the OS? or both?

Both. Let me give you an example. On the Nexus 7 the UI kept getting stuck whilst scrolling and panning around images, flicking between screens.

Someone said that a known problem in the background updating of Google Currents (which was enabled by default) caused problems. Sure enough, once I turned that off the UI was smoother.

You don't get those kinds of problems on iOS.

Tapatalk was really bad when I had my S3, really laggy and stuttery. Tapatalk 2 has improved that though.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Both. Let me give you an example. On the Nexus 7 the UI kept getting stuck whilst scrolling and panning around images, flicking between screens.

Someone said that a known problem in the background updating of Google Currents (which was enabled by default) caused problems. Sure enough, once I turned that off the UI was smoother.

Tapatalk was really bad when I had my S3, really laggy and stuttery. Tapatalk 2 has improved that though.

I found that Currents fix didn't do much. It removed a few of the major hang ups and stutters, but scrolling was still jerky and horrible. I'd still take iOS over Jelly Bean any day, and still will until Android's performance is on the same level as iOS, both in the UI and in every app.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I disagree that jelly bean makes android as stable as iOS. It's a definite step in the right direction but there's still no contest; iOS is still by
far the most stable and smooth.

Agree that Android does do notifications better.

Agree that Android does have a better lock screen.

Prefer iCloud to Androids cloud features.

Siri is better than Google voice search at setting reminders, alarms and calendar events. Also supports geolocation reminders. GVS is a lot faster and tends to know more about facts and trivia than Siri.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with either OS :p

Google voice will set alarms and such. I think smooth android is device specific. I find the S3 to have just a touch of lag, just a touch mind you. The Nexus 4 is so fast and smooth its ridiculous. Heck I was playing with a ICS LG L9 and that was snappy and smooth. On the other hand I've seen Motorola Razr Maxx be lagging and buggy. So I just think it comes down to how the manufacture implements the OS. IMO and whistle and bell that companies put on can be found in play store.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Agreed. Your experience is device specific. I can't believe how fast my nexus 4 is. Its incredible. EASILY as smooth as any iOS device I've owned or used.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Google voice will set alarms and such. I think smooth android is device specific. I find the S3 to have just a touch of lag, just a touch mind you. The Nexus 4 is so fast and smooth its ridiculous. Heck I was playing with a ICS LG L9 and that was snappy and smooth. On the other hand I've seen Motorola Razr Maxx be lagging and buggy. So I just think it comes down to how the manufacture implements the OS. IMO and whistle and bell that companies put on can be found in play store.

Gvs only supports times, not dates, when setting reminders and alarms. Siri supports dates too.

That's what I mean, android is hit and miss when it comes to smoothness. Some flagship devices still lag a bit.

iOS is very smooth on both the 4S (from what im told) and the 5.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I've never used Tapatalk before but this Tapatalk 2 on my GS3 is really smooth and easy to use. I was never really interested in using Tapatalk til I just happened to try it and it works like a charm on my phone. I don't know bad or good Tapatalk 1 was. Just know this one works great.
Really ICS worked well on my GS3 but since I've had JB on it, it is even better and snappy and made me decide not to get a Nexus 4.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
That video was a great reminder on why I left ios and the iPhone. Still the same boring interface, dead and bland grid icons, slow to do basic functions, and that tiny screen! Painful to look at even against a Nexus!
Even though the iOS notification center still sucks UI wise, it looks better than the iPhone's home screen! It even looks better than the Android notification center. But in typical Apple fashion, it looks great, but completely static. The user can look, but not touch. Like the forbidden Apple.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Frankly I wasn't impressed with the video. For instance, multimedia and apps are integrated in iTunes on computers. In the few instances when you want to browse all categories you can do that, albeit not on your phone per se. Also, it's not as though there isn't Dropbox in iOS etc. Like many people I think Apple should add something like widgets and one-touch settings, but IMO I just don't see much of what was presented in the video mattering that much. Still I am thinking about getting an Android tablet....

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Liked the video, though it didn't mention that Android doesn't have a central location for notification settings like iOS does. Hopefully that comes around in a future version as it's nice to be able to adjust all notifications in one place rather than hunt for them in each app.

Where Android is still a bit behind is 3rd party apps. They're just not as elegant and good looking as the stuff on iOS. Likewise music production based apps seem to be mostly on iOS. This isn't really something Google can do anything about, it's sort of a similar situation as Windows and OSX apps - OSX being pretty, intuitive etc and Windows utilitarian, downright ugly and "engineer designed".

With Jobs gone, I hope iOS starts getting more sensible. It needs at least 3rd party notification widgets, ability to add new features without jailbreaking, ability to select default apps, equally fast Javascript engine for all browsers (now everything is about 2x slower than Safari unless you add a JB tweak) and above all a central location for the user's files - whether media, documents or other stuff.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That video was a great reminder on why I left ios and the iPhone. Still the same boring interface, dead and bland grid icons, slow to do basic functions, and that tiny screen! Painful to look at even against a Nexus!
Even though the iOS notification center still sucks UI wise, it looks better than the iPhone's home screen! It even looks better than the Android notification center. But in typical Apple fashion, it looks great, but completely static. The user can look, but not touch. Like the forbidden Apple.

It's an operating system and it works, it's not meant to be fun.

Windows essentially had the same desktop from windows 95 to windows 7 yet nobody complained. Why? Because it worked! It didn't need to change. It did the job it was supposed to do well, JUST LIKE IOS.

There's nothing wrong with being an app launcher.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's an operating system and it works, it's not meant to be fun.

Windows essentially had the same desktop from windows 95 to windows 7 yet nobody complained. Why? Because it worked! It didn't need to change. It did the job it was supposed to do well, JUST LIKE IOS.

There's nothing wrong with being an app launcher.

This is the question I always pose when I see responses like this: Would you be saying the same thing if the tables were reversed, and that iOS offered what Android offers, and Android was merely an "app launcher"?

Somehow I doubt it.

And my god... that video really demonstrates how outdated iOS is.

There's almost no point in even debating it anymore. iOS devotees can keep their "it just works" OS all they want.

----------

Also... that video makes me miss my Galaxy Nexus. Nexus 4 and 4.2 just aren't the upgrades I was hoping they'd be. And in some instances (like ergonomics) I actually regret getting the N4.

Bring on the S4...

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Jelly Bean 4.1.1 VS iOS 6

This is the question I always pose when I see responses like this: Would you be saying the same thing if the tables were reversed, and that iOS offered what Android offers, and Android was merely an "app launcher"?

Somehow I doubt it.

There's almost no point in even debating it anymore. iOS devotees can keep their "it just works" OS all they want.

I'd say the same thing. I like both OSes.

There are things from Android that would be great on iOS, like multiple user accounts, but widgets I can take or leave.

Anyone can make a video that shows off the features of their chosen OS. Omg Android is so outdated, you can't even use voice search to set reminders on a particular date.

You see? :p

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Somehow I doubt it.

----------

Also... that video makes me miss my Galaxy Nexus. Nexus 4 and 4.2 just aren't the upgrades I was hoping they'd be. And in some instances (like ergonomics) I actually regret getting the N4.

Bring on the S4...

4.2 is a mess I agree. I think in this case the whole android fragmentation makes sense. It was tested on the nexus devices sort of like a beta and its clearly not ready for the other devices yet. I wish google had stuck with samsung for the nexus phone as well.

----------

I'd say the same thing. I like both OSes.

There are things from Android that would be great on iOS, like multiple user accounts, but widgets I can take or leave.

Anyone can make a video that shows off the features of their chosen OS. Omg Android is so outdated, you can't even use voice search to set reminders on a particular date.

You see? :p

You actually can now. Google now is updated completely separate from the operating system and that functionality was added shortly after this video.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I disagree that jelly bean makes android as stable as iOS. It's a definite step in the right direction but there's still no contest; iOS is still by far the most stable and smooth.

This is probably more device dependant and/or the way manufactures skin Android. Also some carrier bloat can cause hiccups.

For me JB on the GS3 is just as smooth as iOS. I have more app crashes on iOS. On another device, I would could probably experience the opposite. It really depends. I truly wonder how iOS would fair out if avalible on many non Apple devices?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
4.2 is a mess I agree. I think in this case the whole android fragmentation makes sense. It was tested on the nexus devices sort of like a beta and its clearly not ready for the other devices yet. I wish google had stuck with samsung for the nexus phone as well.

----------

You actually can now. Google now is updated completely separate from the operating system and that functionality was added shortly after this video.

I was just using that as a silly example. There are clearly other features.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
This is probably more device dependant and/or the way manufactures skin Android. Also some carrier bloat can cause hiccups.

For me JB on the GS3 is just as smooth as iOS. I have more app crashes on iOS. On another device, I would could probably experience the opposite. It really depends. I truly wonder how iOS would fair out if avalible on many non Apple devices?

I've noticed this too. I've had one crash on my nexus 4 and that was the XDA app. I usually have about 1 crash every day or so on iOS. Not sure what's to blame. I don't use any obscure apps and keep them all updated. That being said, I still don't know if it's the Apps, the A5 (or more likely the RAM), or iOS in general. Don't really care though. I can live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.