PDA

View Full Version : Power button doesn't work - can my MBA be turned on?

Mikegs
Jan 27, 2013, 09:18 AM
MBA 2010. The power button doesn't work for no obvious reason and it is shut down using the mouse - stupid. Can't do SMC reset or anything that involves that button. Can it be turned on...??

Thanks!

Robyr
Jan 27, 2013, 09:27 AM
Is it physically damaged?

Also, just to confirm, try holding it harder than normal for 5-10 seconds. Maybe the switch is a bit finnicky, or possibly the mac didn't fully shut down and is in a locked state. Holding the power button for longer than 10 seconds should force a cold boot.

Mikegs
Jan 30, 2013, 03:43 AM
It isn't physically damaged.

I was unable to shut down with the power button, no reaction. So I did it with mouse using the menu.

That's why any suggestion involving the power button doesn't work for me. Anything else?

garnerx
Jan 30, 2013, 04:45 AM
Can you get hold of a desktop Mac keyboard? Some of the older versions have a power button on them, maybe that would work.

Hankcah
Feb 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
You have to fine wine it and dine it...

BeeJee
Feb 26, 2013, 06:53 AM
MBA 2010. The power button doesn't work for no obvious reason and it is shut down using the mouse - stupid. Can't do SMC reset or anything that involves that button. Can it be turned on...??

Thanks!

Open it up and disconnect the battery, connect the charger to the computer then connect the battery back. Hope that works.