Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Ok when I got my PowerBook 12" G4 it came with a power adapter. A few months later it died but, Apple gave me a replacement since it was under warranty. Recently my replacement adapter is starting to go, on the wire that goes from the white brick to the powerbook the part that goes into the brick is loose, it gets very hot.

Well anyway I bought a 3rd Party iBook Dual-USB adapter for around $35 with shipping for my iBook but I'm using it for my PowerBook because I need to and I'm happy with it. The problem is since the PowerBook G4 units are aluminum with the non-grounded adapters sometimes you can feel something, like a tingle or some vibration while resting your hands on the keys. I'd get another Apple adapter but it will break, I know it will, I'd also get a 3rd party adapter but they aren't grounded.

Does anyone know of a PowerBook 12" G4 (Aluminum) AC Adapter that's grounded and not from Apple? I mean $70-80 for an adapter is a lot and with my past experience and by reading a lot of posts online I realize that this is a widespread problem. Do I risk the Apple adapter and my cash for an AC adapter that is grounded? Or do I go the cheap way which if the thing breaks I just pay $35 more? I wish Apple would fix these things :(

Thanks! :eek:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Hmm.. why are you so confident that Apple's adaptor will break yet again?

It is not too good to run your system for prolonged periods with its chasis charged.... I think it might damage some of the delicate electronics inside.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
generik said:
Hmm.. why are you so confident that Apple's adaptor will break yet again?

It is not too good to run your system for prolonged periods with its chasis charged.... I think it might damage some of the delicate electronics inside.
Myself and countless others have been through this problem with Apple's adapters, so this is not an isolated incident. I need to keep the PowerBook charged because the battery doesn't last longer than an hour. It should be fine to let the computer charge, why shouldn't I leave it plugged in for a while? It needs to be because the battery takes a while to charge, if you shouldn't leave the laptops plugged into the charger than that doesn't make much sense to me.

I had the same problem with my Yo-Yo adapters on my clamshell iBook, I've been through 2 of them and I even got a letter from Apple about a court case on them, so at least I can get some money back from those faulty adapters. Looks like I'll be buying another 3rd party one. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.