PDA

View Full Version : weird iBook hard drive "clicks" once in a while?

DJIceT
Oct 6, 2005, 11:29 PM
i have this unfamiliar noise coming out of the hard drive, that once in a while, it does a voluptuous "click" sound.

also, when i'm in my room, extremely quiet, i can hear the hard drive work with every input key i press (shift doesn't count, because it is a command key)

so i was just wondering if anyone have their portables behave like that too, because this 12" iBook is my first mac and my first laptop, and i'm loving it very much

thanks

Deepdale
Oct 7, 2005, 03:53 AM
[QUOTE=DJIceT]i have this unfamiliar noise coming out of the hard drive, that once in a while, it does a voluptuous "click" sound.[QUOTE]

Voluptuous sounds emanating from iBook ... and they say that Powerbooks are the sexier product line. Move over, PB ... there's another temptress in town.

Palad1
Oct 7, 2005, 04:41 AM
do you notice any kind of slowdown when launching a new app?

if so, read my sig...

inlimbo
Oct 7, 2005, 04:49 AM
Well I don't know what a voluptuous "click" sounds like - though the thought of it is giving me hot flushes :o

My PB HD makes a sort of a soft muffled 'clunk' sound occassionally. Is your sound more of a 'click' or a 'clunk'? From what I understand the 'clunk' sound is prefectly normal.

i can hear the hard drive work with every input key i press (shift doesn't count, because it is a command key)

This sounds a little bit suspect. How long have u had ur iBook? Maybe running one of the maintence programs like Onyx or MacJanitor might fix that? I dunno Im no expect.

Voluptuous sounds emanating from iBook ... and they say that Powerbooks are the sexier product line. Move over, PB ... there's another temptress in town.

No! My PB is dead sexy. Go away iBook. :D Though I do like the look of the 12" iBook - looks real cute - as does the girl in the law library that has one... :o Opps Ive said too much...

Deepdale
Oct 7, 2005, 05:01 AM
My PB is dead sexy. Go away iBook. :D Though I do like the look of the 12" iBook - looks real cute - as does the girl in the law library that has one... :o Opps Ive said too much...

We won't whisper a word to a soul ... you are among friends here. Just provide the name and location of the school library plus a decent description of the girl there, and we'll leave it at that.

TBi
Oct 7, 2005, 05:31 AM
also, when i'm in my room, extremely quiet, i can hear the hard drive work with every input key i press (shift doesn't count, because it is a command key)

That happens on my iBook too and happened on another iBook at the shop. It's a "feature" of the iBooks which magically wears down the battery faster than it should wear down.

DJIceT
Oct 7, 2005, 06:54 AM
That happens on my iBook too and happened on another iBook at the shop. It's a "feature" of the iBooks which magically wears down the battery faster than it should wear down.

!! what do you mean?

My PB HD makes a sort of a soft muffled 'clunk' sound occassionally. Is your sound more of a 'click' or a 'clunk'? From what I understand the 'clunk' sound is prefectly normal.

ya, that's a better description

do you notice any kind of slowdown when launching a new app?

no, no slow down

This sounds a little bit suspect. How long have u had ur iBook? Maybe running one of the maintence programs like Onyx or MacJanitor might fix that? I dunno Im no expect.

i got it 3 days ago

i'm thinking the hard drive works when you type, to register the input. it's really not a loud noise at all, you would have to put your ear on top of the hd + a super quiet room.

thanks for all the replies

California
Oct 7, 2005, 09:53 AM
That would bug the heck out of me. I had a Tibook hd that did this, and I figured it was on its last legs.

I would ask Apple to return it that it is annoying and sign of a bad drive. Be nice but firm. You just got the machine. And there's annoying noise coming from it? My iBook is ten weeks old and is silent as a church mouse.

For my curiousity, is it a fujistu, Hitachi or Toshiba internal drive? Bet its a Fujistu or Toshiba

tdhurst
Oct 7, 2005, 10:20 AM
Often that is the sound of a dying hard drive...

To be safe, back it up and have it checked out IMMEDIATELY. Better safe than EXTREMELY sorry...

TBi
Oct 7, 2005, 11:44 AM
i'm thinking the hard drive works when you type, to register the input. it's really not a loud noise at all, you would have to put your ear on top of the hd + a super quiet room.

Thats what i mean :). Everytime you press a key the OS tells the hard drive to do something. It's an OS or higher level driver problem because it doesn't happen if you use the hardware test cd.

It's bloody annoying though, especially in a quiet room at night. You have to have music on and sometimes you don't want to have music on because you don't want to waste battery life.

DJIceT
Oct 7, 2005, 05:56 PM
Thats what i mean :). Everytime you press a key the OS tells the hard drive to do something. It's an OS or higher level driver problem because it doesn't happen if you use the hardware test cd.

It's bloody annoying though, especially in a quiet room at night. You have to have music on and sometimes you don't want to have music on because you don't want to waste battery life.

yea that's what i'm thinking too, cuz the drive noises are not annoying at all. In fact, i even wonder if the drive is spinning cuz there is really very faint sound cuz the drive spins at 4200rpm, so it's good to have the silence and power savings

but it hard for everyone else here to resolve the issue unless they see for themselves.

i'm gonna go back to the apple store and ask the genius bar people. or i guess i can exchange it, since there was imperfection on the physical sode, like the middle bottom of the screen frame there is a small opening, looks like enough sodust can get out
and also on the side of the screen frame there is a small dent