PDA

View Full Version : Touchscreen MBAs in 2013?

raptorstv
Jan 28, 2013, 03:48 AM
Im hoping Apple would release touchscreen retina MBAs this year... Went to Bestbuy and saw a lot of windows8 laptops with touchscreen capabilities. So jealous!

GGJstudios
Jan 28, 2013, 03:48 AM
It's very unlikely you'll never see one, as touchscreen on a vertical screen is horrible ergonomics. This has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum.

Will the next Macbook Pro have a touch screen? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495723)
touchscreen? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1484381)
Touch Screen on Next MBP? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1436068)
Touchscreen iMac - as likely as a refrigerator with toaster (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1415881)
Anybody think a touch screen iMac will be coming soon? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1346465)
Will there be touch screen on the macbook air? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1317315)
Next Macbook will be Touch Screen (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1366423)

Mrbobb
Jan 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
Jealous?

Well, Mr Spock here don't get all emotional. I actually played with it... the tiles slide just fine as shown on TV but when I started to pinch-zoom it, EEEWWWW! That's horrible for a new OS running on brand new hardware. No need to be jealous.

Tiger, you already got a Swedish Blonde in the house, why are you looking over the fence? ;)

designs216
Jan 28, 2013, 12:52 PM
On a productivity machine? Think of all those nasty, distracting finger prints. Jobs would roll over in his grave. Let this particular flash-in-the-pan pass by, no need to participate.

NutsNGum
Jan 28, 2013, 01:24 PM
If you've ever touched the screen of a MacBook Air, you'll see that it's not a good idea to touch the screen of a MacBook Air.

raptorstv
Jan 29, 2013, 12:09 AM
Apple just need something new! Apple can just make it an option to have: Touchscreen MBA and Non-touchscreen MBA

kjs862
Jan 29, 2013, 12:34 AM
I don't think Apple will release a touch screen laptop. They talked about this in one of their product announcements and they decided it was bad ergonomics.

Funny though that Apple makes Smart Cover that prop up iPads. I use my ipad all the time like this and it's very unergonimcal.

Mrbobb
Jan 29, 2013, 12:54 AM
Funny though that Apple makes Smart Cover that prop up iPads. I use my ipad all the time like this and it's very unergonimcal.

I held my friend's iPad2 just for a minute, with one hand and I can't believe how heavy just 1.5 LB felt, can't imagine myself doing that for an extended amount of time. They had to have it prop up with something.

kjs862
Jan 29, 2013, 01:25 AM
I held my friend's iPad2 just for a minute, with one hand and I can't believe how heavy just 1.5 LB felt, can't imagine myself doing that for an extended amount of time. They had to have it prop up with something.

I thought the same of the ipad. I own a mini however that is much better for me.

raptorstv
Jan 29, 2013, 10:57 AM
Problem solved with the ipad mini and the upcoming ipad 5 though

tdhurst
Jan 29, 2013, 11:25 AM
Why would I want to constantly shift my hands from a flat keyboard to a screen at an angle?

Doesn't an iPad and a BT keyboard already solve this problem?

Besides the novelty, what does a touchscreen laptop do better than what's already available?

urkel
Jan 29, 2013, 11:32 AM
Im hoping Apple would release touchscreen retina MBAs this year... Went to Bestbuy and saw a lot of windows8 laptops with touchscreen capabilities. So jealous!

Its interesting that the best place to talk about a Touch Screen Mac is NOT a Mac forum. Touchscreens are eventually going to get here but, just like with the smaller iPad or larger iPhone, people out here wont "think different" until Apple gives them permission to.

Personally, I dont like Windows 8 but I did have a touchscreen Asus for a few days after the black friday sale before returning it and Touchscreens really are great IF you look at it as an optional input method rather than a primary. Touch isn't replacing anything on a laptop, its adding to it.

tdhurst
Jan 29, 2013, 11:37 AM
Its interesting that the best place to talk about a Touch Screen Mac is NOT a Mac forum. Touchscreens are eventually going to get here but, just like with the smaller iPad or larger iPhone, people out here wont "think different" until Apple gives them permission to.

Personally, I dont like Windows 8 but I did have a touchscreen Asus for a few days after the black friday sale before returning it and Touchscreens really are great IF you look at it as an optional input method rather than a primary. Touch isn't replacing anything on a laptop, its adding to it.

Why the passive aggressive insult?

Yeah, it adds to the price. Whee.

rMBP15
Jan 29, 2013, 11:44 AM
I had a touchscreen HP laptop many years ago. It was only great when you wanna draw mathematical equations.

JHUFrank
Jan 30, 2013, 12:15 AM
Negative, wont happen for a long time, unless a radical change in the MBA form.

deckhart
Feb 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
Why would I want to constantly shift my hands from a flat keyboard to a screen at an angle?

Doesn't an iPad and a BT keyboard already solve this problem?

Besides the novelty, what does a touchscreen laptop do better than what's already available?

I have a dell xps12 (win8) and MBA....

After a week using a win8 touchscreen, I find myself wanting to touch all laptop screens to do basic things...its much more natural and useful than you might think.

Mrbobb
Feb 10, 2013, 10:31 PM
After a week using a win8 touchscreen, I find myself wanting to touch all laptop screens to do basic things...its much more natural and useful than you might think.

According to Walt Mossberg, who just reviewed Win8 Surface Pro, once you have to drop down to the Win7 desktop to use your current Win Apps, the touch screen metaphor doesn't work good anymore and you have to drop back to the touchpad + mouse, which tells me, they have to upgrade the Apps for a touch interface for it to be truly useful. This may take a little while.

Following this thought, am wholly curious how the upcoming MS Office for IOS will look like.

theSeb
Feb 13, 2013, 06:31 PM
Apple just need something new! Apple can just make it an option to have: Touchscreen MBA and Non-touchscreen MBA

It will be old then and Apple will be seen as a copy cat. They need to do something different and not just copy the stupid idea that windows 8 has implemented. You already have a touch screen - the track pad

DJLC
Feb 13, 2013, 06:57 PM
Why would Apple make a touchscreen MacBook when the iPad is around?

The entire reason iOS exists is because Mac OS X (and desktop computing in general) is not designed for a touch interface. This is also a primary reason why they'll never bring Flash to iOS — Flash was designed for PCs with mice. If Apple thought a touchscreen on your computer was a good idea, the iPad would run OS X and be called MacPad (or something).

Touch is a fundamentally different interface. Just like the mouse was in the 80s. That's why Apple's ProDOS fell to the wayside. Touchscreens ARE the future, but it will probably be in the form of a tablet. I'd expect tablets will replace laptops, and desktop PCs will eventually become niche products for developers and creatives.

Microsoft is probably vaguely near the right track with Windows 8 and the touchscreen laptops, but to me it feels like a clumsy fusion of Windows 7 and Windows Phone. It's only going to confuse and infuriate the typical consumer.

yusukeaoki
Feb 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
Touch screen computers are gross IMO.

Windows 8 looks better on touch screen because the OS is made for touch screen.
In fact I find it harder to use Win8 on MBP as well.

iSee
Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 PM
I used Windows 8 on a touch screen "tablet" style computer for about three weeks. I mostly kept it docked with the bluetooth keyboard in front, though occasionally picked it up.

My impressions using the metro interface:
* it works a lot better than I thought
* reaching out and touching the screen begins to feel natural. It is not fatiguing compared to using a track pad.
* I was switching back and forth between a desktop running W8 and had to catch myself from trying to drag things around with my finger.

My impressions using the classic interface with touch:
* horrible! terrible! I had no mouse for the touch-enabled computer and that drove me nuts when not using the metro interface.

To my mind touch will work great on a laptop, but the OS and apps have to be optimized for touch.

I think before Apple would consider a touch interface on regular OS X, they'd have to revamp the UI of the OS to accomodate. It's a lot more than using iOS-like scroll bars.

And if they keep going strong with the iPad, I just don't see why they would do this. iOS IS the touch-optimized OS. Over time the hardware will get more and more powerful, and there will be less and less reason for Apple to make non-iOS devices.

entatlrg
Feb 19, 2013, 08:36 PM
There's not a manufacturer for Windows OS on the planet that can make a notebook with a good trackpad ... hence they're pushing notebooks with touchscreens ;)

theuserjohnny
Feb 19, 2013, 11:49 PM
I doubt they'll ever do this. I personally don't like the idea of the hybrid I just don't think it's optimized. If I want a tablet I'll just buy an iPad and if I need a computer I'll buy a computer.

buysp
Feb 20, 2013, 11:13 PM
If you've ever touched the screen of a MacBook Air, you'll see that it's not a good idea to touch the screen of a MacBook Air.

Touching the glossy screen :eek:
It's a retentives cleaning nightmare!
Like me LOL

PBG4 Dude
Feb 21, 2013, 10:58 AM
Hasn't intel said that Haswell mobile chips require a touch screen? I've read that more than once now.

guustavooo
Mar 29, 2013, 05:01 PM
With OSX stepping up to look closer to iOS every update, and competition arousing from Windows 8, do you think a Touchscreen Macbook is anywhere on the road?

If so, do you also think the Air would be the perfect machine to introduce this new concept to Macs line?

B...
Mar 29, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hasn't intel said that Haswell mobile chips require a touch screen? I've read that more than once now.

Only Windows Ultrabooks.

----------

With OSX stepping up to look closer to iOS every update, and competition arousing from Windows 8, do you think a Touchscreen Macbook is anywhere on the road?

If so, do you also think the Air would be the perfect machine to introduce this new concept to Macs line?

It would be the best Mac to have a touchscreen, so travelers could use it with more ease. But a laptop is not a tablet, and a tablet is not a laptop. I am sure Apple has experimented with this idea--they have with pretty much any design. But I do not expect that for a while. Apple would not want to ruin their iPad sales by offering a larger screen, keyboard, more power, and a touchscreen for just $300 more. And if they raised the price, their whole "Macs can be affordable" gig goes out the window. Apple really should not take a step backwards in making their computers start at higher than $999. Therefore, no touchscreen until the technology is cheap enough.

Abazigal
Mar 29, 2013, 08:55 PM
Having handled a tablet laptop at work (one of those swivel-touchscreen laptop models with stylus), I find that the only time I find touching the screen comfortable is when I am standing directly over the laptop, with the screen lowered flat against the table (i.e.: the same position you would be using a tablet in anyways).

Any other position, it just gets tiring to have to raise your hand ever so often. Not to mention that my macbook air screen apparently smudges very easily. Because of this experience, I doubt I would be particularly interested in a touchscreen option anytime soon. :p

Mrbobb
Mar 29, 2013, 09:10 PM
Any other position, it just gets tiring to have to raise your hand ever so often.

That's what Steve Jobs said exactly. But those big screens like in CNN mighty fun, for demo purposes.

Haswell demands TS? Sounds mighty odd. Why would a chipset maker has anything to say about the final UI?

B...
Mar 29, 2013, 09:12 PM
That's what Steve Jobs said exactly. But those big screens like in CNN mighty fun, for demo purposes.

Haswell demands TS? Sounds mighty odd. Why would a chipset maker has anything to say about the final UI?
Strange but true, at least for Ultrabooks.

Abazigal
Mar 29, 2013, 09:13 PM

I read somewhere about Microsoft collaborating with Intel to promote windows8. So I guess on Intel's side, what they are doing is to "force" laptop makers to include touchscreens, all the better to take advantage of windows8's new interface.

Mrbobb
Mar 29, 2013, 09:17 PM
If ur vendor for Win8, TS is a given. Why would one do otherwise regardless of chipset use?

jaugmen
Apr 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
The problem in keeping separate iOS and OSX does not give us alternatives for supertablets as a table touchscreen +30 in my HT or even on the bathroom wall or mirror, for example. There are many new ways beyond the obvious to use touchscreen with macs.

stchman
Apr 29, 2013, 03:00 PM
IMO touch screen laptops are silly. If someone wants to touch the screen, get an iPad.

jaugmen
Apr 29, 2013, 06:55 PM
IMO touch screen laptops are silly. If someone wants to touch the screen, get an iPad.

So I need an iPad Huge. LOL.

2high2aim
May 9, 2013, 04:14 PM
Don't be so myopic...

A. The multi-touch track pad could be replaced with a larger touch screen that has dual functions of a track pad/ touch screen.
B. The entire macbook could be touch screen, opened up to have a HUGE touchscreen, or used like a laptop with the bottom half having a touch keyboard and multi touch track pad, etc. (cons: keyboards are faster to type with)

Laser keyboard/ distance touch

These are just my ideas with just a few minutes of imagination. The technology is available just need the demand for the product and the price to become more and more affordable but with the speed at which technology advances prices will soon be more economics for the masses. I guess in due time...

DisplacedMic
May 9, 2013, 04:48 PM

agreed - tons of fun to play with but i find them very heavy.