Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Right now I'm only sitting on 21 PMs, just having cleaned out my inbox and outbox. However, doing this made me realize just how small our PM boxes are. I had been in the 60's for a couple months prior to this cleaning, and I even missed one PM due to a full box.

I can't imagine simple text messages taking up too much space on the server. Would it be too big of a pain to increase the amount of space we have to maybe 120 or 200 messages?

_Emerson

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm too much of a reject to fill my PM box, but I agree, they should be bigger.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
70's a luxury :D I help moderate a forum (I have about the same restrictions as edesignuk had when he was a mod mini) and only have a capacity of 50 messages for my PM Inbox - that has to get regularly flushed. I can't be bothered to ask the admin for an increase ;)

I'm hardly stretching my PM Inbox here - current number of messages: 0. Mesages received since joining: 0

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
scem0 said:
Right now I'm only sitting on 21 PMs, just having cleaned out my inbox and outbox. However, doing this made me realize just how small our PM boxes are. I had been in the 60's for a couple months prior to this cleaning, and I even missed one PM due to a full box.

I can't imagine simple text messages taking up too much space on the server. Would it be too big of a pain to increase the amount of space we have to maybe 120 or 200 messages?

_Emerson

I agree, they could be a tad bit larger- not that mine is close to capacity yet. :)

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
That'd be nice :).

I actually think the rank idea is a good one. I doubt that is part of the functionality of vBulletin though. It'd probably just be easier to increase the size of everyone's box. The less prolific posters probably won't PM much anyways.

_Emerson

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
scem0 said:
That'd be nice :).

I actually think the rank idea is a good one. I doubt that is part of the functionality of vBulletin though. It'd probably just be easier to increase the size of everyone's box. The less prolific posters probably won't PM much anyways.

_Emerson

No, but there might be some sort of security concern. Sort of like a forum DOS attack, but with private messages instead so it went initially undetected.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I'm constantly forgetting to clean out my inbox, so people's messages bounce all the time. since it sounds like a lot of people don't store that many, I shouldn't think it would be a *huge* space issue... but of course I don't see the bill :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I almost ran out of PM space but I found the neat little feature that lets you save all the messeges as XML, CSV, or TEXT located at the botom of the PM box window. This is great because sometimes you want to save important messeges, maybe if you sold or bought an item from a user or something, and this way you can keep it forerver. This sure beats copying and pasting ;) :rolleyes:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
Yeah, I think I've gotten like 12 my whole time here.
No love, snkTab, no love. :(
So I've contributed something like 1/4 of them (lost track)? In one night?

Hmmm... yeah, that is pretty sad.

Maybe I'll start PMing you with my daily meals, or Apple stock price changes, or notices every time Abstract posts, or... well, I'm sure there's some way we can help you out there.

I suspect we are all simply intimidated by your beauty, intelligence, and witty repartee. Either that, or we avoid finance geeks. Not sure. ;)

But, OT: agreed - I'd pay more for a bigger PM inbox, or maybe one based on total size as opposed to PM count.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
jsw said:
So I've contributed something like 1/4 of them (lost track)? In one night?

Hmmm... yeah, that is pretty sad.

Maybe I'll start PMing you with my daily meals, or Apple stock price changes, or notices every time Abstract posts, or... well, I'm sure there's some way we can help you out there.

I suspect we are all simply intimidated by your beauty, intelligence, and witty repartee. Either that, or we avoid finance geeks. Not sure. ;)

But, OT: agreed - I'd pay more for a bigger PM inbox, or maybe one based on total size as opposed to PM count.

Make the meals vegetarian, I track the stock price on my own, and I wouldn't mind if you posted me when Abstract does. (I love that crazy cat-having avatar boy!)

and don't lie on MacRumors. Arn will hunt you down and like.. do something, I dunno. I believe the avoiding a finance geek, but not the whole intelligence thing. You crazy, crazy rumorer!

OT: I agree-- a pay-for bigger PM box would work. Like $5 a year or something?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
and don't lie on MacRumors.

You're right, I fibbed. I suspect that most of us are intimidated by your beauty, intelligence, and witty repartee. However, a few of us are not; those few avoid finance geeks.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
jsw said:
You're right, I fibbed. I suspect that most of us are intimidated by your beauty, intelligence, and witty repartee. However, a few of us are not; those few avoid finance geeks.

i will agree that most of us are probably intimidated by those above qualities, and those of us not, are too big of dorks (case in point: me)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I had some thoughts about this, scem0, so I just sent you 80 PMs about your idea. :D

Seriously, space shouldn't be a problem, so it's a matter of how easy it is to set this. vBulletin itself also changes and improves over time, so we'll be seeing other new features before you know it.

Having a larger PM space won't change the average rate at which you have to clean out messages, which over the long term has to match the rate you send and receive them, but it would let you go longer between spring cleanings. I could benefit from that too.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Count me in the short of love crowd. I have gotten 10 PMs and I still keep them and treasure them dearly. ;) (Not one of them is spam and one of them is even a little bit naughty ... lucky me :D )

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
i will agree that most of us are probably intimidated by those above qualities, and those of us not, are too big of dorks (case in point: me)

Man, why can't there be such KT love in Houston? Geez. I hate texas so much.

*sigh*

and OO! Up to today, I've gotten like.. 20 PMs! I'm movin' on up!! :p :p

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I agree that it would be nice if the limit of 70 could be extended... just in the past few weeks, I've bumped into the 70 limit several times and had to remove a large number of PMs from my mailbox.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Yeah, we could use more space. I try not to send many because of the space restrictions. I didn't realize it, but I've got 56! And I barely send anything. Been here a couple of years, and sold some things, so that could could explain it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.