PDA

View Full Version : First Mpeg-4 Radio Stream announced

medea
Dec 6, 2002, 02:20 PM
http://www.radioio.com/QuickTime6-2002-12-04.php?PHPSESSID=d62a9f9a5a7267fa7511a7bd8f291a50
RADIOIO AND LIMELIGHT NETWORKS TEAM WITH APPLE QUICKTIME TO DELIVER THE INDUSTRY'S FIRST MPEG- 4 RADIO WEBCAST
Alliance delivers the worlds first end-to-end MPEG-4 based Internet broadcast system Phoenix, AZ - December XX, 2002 -- In a groundbreaking initiative, radioio™, one of the largest Internet-only radio stations in the world, has partnered with Limelight Networks™, the price/performance leader in IP Transport Services and Apple QuickTime™ to launch a new Internet radio station based on MPEG-4, the emerging Internet media delivery protocol. Utilizing a combination QuickTime Broadcaster, QuickTime Streaming Server 4 and QuickTime 6 codec, radioio and Limelight Networks are proud to become the first in the industry to deliver a comprehensive MPEG-4-based Internet broadcast. "Apple has been very helpful in supporting our efforts to add this new capability. We look forward to delivering significant MPEG-4 traffic in the near future,"

pantagruel
Dec 6, 2002, 04:21 PM
well this is cool, but I'm not sure how much better the sound of internet radio will be with mpeg4, I mean it's obvious how much improvement there as been in streaming video, but how much better will anything actually sound?:confused:

irmongoose
Dec 7, 2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by pantagruel
well this is cool, but I'm not sure how much better the sound of internet radio will be with mpeg4, I mean it's obvious how much improvement there as been in streaming video, but how much better will anything actually sound?:confused:

Have you thought of AAC audio?

irmongoose

benixau
Dec 7, 2002, 09:47 PM
it may not be so much for better quality as for a lower bit rate. therefore theoretically reducing the bandwidth usage. Also means that the net radio that cable users have enjoyed for ages amy be able to come to dial-up users.

pantagruel
Dec 8, 2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by benixau
it may not be so much for better quality as for a lower bit rate. therefore theoretically reducing the bandwidth usage. Also means that the net radio that cable users have enjoyed for ages amy be able to come to dial-up users.
Thats a good point there and probably true, hopefully though people will get over 56k in the near future, its just too agrovating to be worth it.

King Cobra
Dec 8, 2002, 09:01 PM
Try it with 28.8Kbps. You can only listen to so many seconds of audio for so long, then lapse back into an even longer buffer mode. That's with 32Kbps streaming.

Do the math, and you'll find out the heck I've had to go through in the past couple of years with it. Do some more, and you'll find out that the size of files at 32Kbps is still the same, but you get 128Kbps quality. Luckily, a lower bitrate will be the remedy. :cool: