PDA

View Full Version : Apple is having a hard time meeting the iPod nano demand...

MacBytes
Oct 7, 2005, 02:38 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple is having a hard time meeting the iPod nano demand... (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051007153854)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

emw
Oct 7, 2005, 03:14 PM
Shocker. *yawn*

Blue Velvet
Oct 7, 2005, 03:18 PM
I'm not surprised.

For some reason, people who I never would thought of being interested in an iPod have heard of this thing... na.no.

They want or think they want one. Everybody does... especially for Xmas.

I want one too. A black one.

Applespider
Oct 7, 2005, 03:22 PM
For some reason, people who I never would thought of being interested in an iPod have heard of this thing... na.no.

Yup... my mother has told me that she plans on buying herself one as a treat for herself when we're in San Francisco since it will be cheaper then. She's just debating whether she needs the 4GB or will cope with the 2GB.

I was all set to start calling her a Macgeek mini when she called me to ask about an ethernet cable but then she didn't know what her Airport Express was... (shows how often she's had to reset it in the last year, I guess!) It wasn't until I told her the white box with the green light and the Apple logo that she correctly ID'd it.

But the shortage isn't a surprise since they're selling faster than the mini's were and they'd probably ramped up to mini production levels. Plus, of course, they may have had to take the plant offline that produced the faulty screened nanos. And some plants will be producing whatever is behind those red curtains

nagromme
Oct 7, 2005, 04:27 PM
And a nice side-effect I think: black FULL size iPods... and maybe more black in the Mac line in coming years? Seems like the demand for black surprised Apple.

A black iMac with matching wireless mouse/keyboard would be slick

SeaFox
Oct 8, 2005, 06:43 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Apple didn't make the black and white Nanos in even numbers, and that for every black Nano they made 8 or 9 white ones. If Apple isn't meeting demand, it's because they didn't understand how sick of white everyone is.

If I buy a G5, I plan on buying a black Apple Pro Keyboard on eBay to go with it, because it looks better with the aluminum case than the white one does. I would gladly buy a new one from Apple, but they only offer white.

Seriously Apple, do some market research and start producing thngs in the top 3-5 colors people want besides white. If a company can add over $50 to the cost of a device by giving you a choice of color, you can make a lot more customers buy it to start with by offering some variety.

devilot
Oct 8, 2005, 07:04 PM
Yes, it seems like the black outsells the white... But I only want a 4GB white one! Where'd they all go?

I think Apple is smart in not offering too many color options-- there is always the possibility that the other colors won't sell as well and they'll be left with too many of X color that they'd then have to discount and essentially 'lose' money from.

gwuMACaddict
Oct 8, 2005, 07:09 PM
agree with devilot, it's a pretty finite market- too many colors and you spread yourself thing... probably another reason why they canned the mini...

not surprised that they arent meeting demand though, they should be used to this.

mkrishnan
Oct 8, 2005, 07:24 PM
Hmmm...but where is the corresponding article about overwhelming demand for the ROKR? :D

devilot
Oct 8, 2005, 07:25 PM
Hmmm...but where is the corresponding article about overwhelming demand for the ROKR? :DI know I love that... my own bf was like, "Wait, what? There's an iTunes cell phone?!" Grr... shows that he really is tuning me out all the time. :o

mkrishnan
Oct 8, 2005, 07:30 PM
I know I love that... my own bf was like, "Wait, what? There's an iTunes cell phone?!" Grr... shows that he really is tuning me out all the time. :o

*le sigh* I'm sowwy. :( What can you do.

eva01
Oct 8, 2005, 08:08 PM
*le sigh* I'm sowwy. :( What can you do.

date someone better!

iMeowbot
Oct 8, 2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, they had the same "shortages" with the mini and Shuffle too. It's amazing how they can use the same gimmick repeatedly and it keeps working.

winmacguy
Oct 8, 2005, 09:48 PM
I know I love that... my own bf was like, "Wait, what? There's an iTunes cell phone?!" Grr... shows that he really is tuning me out all the time. :o
Its known as "selective hearing" devilot ;) . I do it to my fiance all the time, and when ever I mention ANYthing Apple related to her (reading iCon a little while back) she does it to me too ;) :p

winmacguy
Oct 9, 2005, 05:17 AM
Sounds like you need a boyfriend who is a Mac user guru like yourself so that you can both share a common interest and passion. :cool:

devilot
Oct 9, 2005, 09:43 AM
Its known as "selective hearing" devilot ;) :rolleyes: A tactic well used by my bf.Sounds like you need a boyfriend who is a Mac user guru like yourself so that you can both share a common interest and passion.Yeah, it would be awesome if my bf used Macs, but the bottom line is, who else would put up w/ all my gibberish? He's so good to me... other wise. My personal life rumor mill has it that the word on the street is a white 4GB nano might be coming my way!!! :eek: Can't complain too much about my man, can I? :p

steve_hill4
Oct 9, 2005, 10:07 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Apple didn't make the black and white Nanos in even numbers, and that for every black Nano they made 8 or 9 white ones. If Apple isn't meeting demand, it's because they didn't understand how sick of white everyone is.

If I buy a G5, I plan on buying a black Apple Pro Keyboard on eBay to go with it, because it looks better with the aluminum case than the white one does. I would gladly buy a new one from Apple, but they only offer white.

Seriously Apple, do some market research and start producing thngs in the top 3-5 colors people want besides white. If a company can add over $50 to the cost of a device by giving you a choice of color, you can make a lot more customers buy it to start with by offering some variety.
Whilst I tended to think apple were wrong to offer too many colours and rejoiced that the nano was only coming in White and Black, those colour nanos you posted looked the buisness. I guess it was just the largely child aimed colurs I didn't like, those richer, darker colours appeal to me a lot more, even if I would stick with white or silver myself.

I can see apple slowly switching to a white and silver combined consumer line, (like the mac mini), and a black pro line once the intel transition is complete. Let's just hope they change the colours of the keyboards and mice to fit too, rather than sticking to a standard colour across the board.

winmacguy
Oct 9, 2005, 12:25 PM
:rolleyes: A tactic well used by my bf.Yeah, it would be awesome if my bf used Macs, but the bottom line is, who else would put up w/ all my gibberish? He's so good to me... other wise. My personal life rumor mill has it that the word on the street is a white 4GB nano might be coming my way!!! :eek: Can't complain too much about my man, can I? :p
Better the devil you know.;) keep your fingers crossed.

DJY
Oct 10, 2005, 05:17 AM
I can see apple slowly switching to a white and silver combined consumer line, (like the mac mini), and a black pro line once the intel transition is complete. Let's just hope they change the colours of the keyboards and mice to fit too, rather than sticking to a standard colour across the board.

Now I hadn't considered this before!
I also didnt like the colour options with the mini...
but mmm so black is the new Pro colour?