PDA

View Full Version : THX Releases iPhone App to Calibrate Televisions and Surround Sound Systems

MacRumors
Jan 29, 2013, 01:06 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/29/thx-releases-iphone-app-to-calibrate-televisions-and-surround-sound-systems/)

THX, the company behind Lucasfilm's audio/visual reproduction standard for movie theaters, A/V equipment, and more, has released a new iPhone app (http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/29/3927728/thx-tune-up-calibration-app-iphone-home-theater) to assist consumers with calibrating their HDTV's and home theater setups. The app is currently free for one week, but will rise to $1.99 after.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/thx.jpg
THX prefers that users connect the app to their television via Apple's official HDMI adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter), but AirPlay Mirroring can also be used for the visual tests -- audio tests won't work over the AirPlay protocol.
But those that do try out THX's method will be rewarded with modest improvements. In our tests, it worked as advertised. Speaking to The Verge, company reps made clear that Tune-Up isn't meant to be a substitute for having a professional visit your home for a thorough calibration. Instead, it's a tool that can (fairly quickly) help your new TV look better than it did the first time you turned it on. And as an added bonus, you'll be able to play the famous "deep note" that moviegoers hear before THX-certified movies in lossless audio.THX tune-up is a free download (http://appshopper.com/utilities/thx-tune-up) on the App Store for 1 week, before rising to $1.99. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thx-tune-up/id592624594?mt=8)]

Article Link: THX Releases iPhone App to Calibrate Televisions and Surround Sound Systems (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/29/thx-releases-iphone-app-to-calibrate-televisions-and-surround-sound-systems/)

inlinevolvo
Jan 29, 2013, 01:09 PM
Very cool. Though the 49 dollars apple wants for the cable, not so much.

M-O
Jan 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
the audience is now deaf.

voyagerd
Jan 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
Ooooooh! Installing!

Pakaku
Jan 29, 2013, 01:17 PM
Deep note, yesss

nicholc2
Jan 29, 2013, 01:20 PM
This will be cool for folks to hopefully get their sets out of the default "torch" mode that most start in, but definitely doesn't replace a full calibration. I'll probably install it just to see what it says about my tv and sound, though I have a 7.1 setup, not 5.1. Should be fun, nonetheless.

RedTomato
Jan 29, 2013, 01:24 PM
'Deep notes' are quite easy to produce. Getting the right vibrato does depend on what you had to eat recently.

Bonus: extra room near you.

On topic: Blazing Saddles. *That scene*.

(For the uninitiated: baked beans. Say no more.)

extricated
Jan 29, 2013, 01:26 PM
I'm eager to try it, but not sure just how much improvement I'll get.
So ... getting it while it's free!

ccmovies
Jan 29, 2013, 01:39 PM

But if the cable were some how "defective," you could return it... ;)

needfx
Jan 29, 2013, 01:40 PM
"Hey, guys. I brought my cousin THX-1138." - Robot Chicken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-phCSe-W0DI)

Kilamite
Jan 29, 2013, 01:40 PM
I got bored and kept playing THX Deep Note through my 5.1 up loud. Slightly turned on right now.

ifij775
Jan 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
Professional calibration? I'd wager a fraction of a percent of home systems have had that.

Kilamite
Jan 29, 2013, 01:46 PM
Professional calibration? I'd wager a fraction of a percent of home systems have had that.

It's a gimmick and marketing ploy.

bacaramac
Jan 29, 2013, 01:47 PM
Mine settings were pretty spot on, however this app wants my brightness up higher then I had before, guess I'll try it out for a bit.

ifij775
Jan 29, 2013, 01:49 PM
Yea, you could spend hundreds on a professional or buy this cheap app. Knowing no one gets a professional besides the home theaters on Cribs

Dan--
Jan 29, 2013, 01:50 PM
Mine settings were pretty spot on, however this app wants my brightness up higher then I had before, guess I'll try it out for a bit.

Can you (or someone) describe how this works?

(Thanks)

phillipduran
Jan 29, 2013, 01:51 PM
Sweeet! Downloaded. Cant wait to give this a try when I get home.

JBaker122586
Jan 29, 2013, 01:59 PM
Am I really the only person here who has had their TV professionally calibrated?
It makes a ton of difference in the colors.
I don't have a full surround system, so I can't comment on that.

basesloaded190
Jan 29, 2013, 01:59 PM

Not really. You don't need to have a professional do it, but having your system (both video and audio) will dramatically change the experience.

canman4PM
Jan 29, 2013, 02:05 PM

Perhaps. It's probably nothing more than an advanced version of the THX calibration program that comes with all DVDs and Blu-rays that are THX mastered. Which, if it can use your i-device's camera, will probably make it easier to calibrate colour and brightness/contrast. If that is so, it's worth the $2. But free is better.

WatchTheThrone
Jan 29, 2013, 02:19 PM
I have a 30 pin converter to component cables I wonder if that would be good enough??

camnchar
Jan 29, 2013, 02:43 PM

"How about some more beans, Mr. Taggart?"

"I'd say you've had enough!"

II BISTRO II
Jan 29, 2013, 02:46 PM
Just tried the app with the Apple TV. The app was simple and intuitive.

Seems my color was up too high and tint too low. Minor adjustments to brightness and saturation.

peterh988
Jan 29, 2013, 02:50 PM

That scene has a whole other dimension when watched with subtitles!

scirica
Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 PM
Am I really the only person here who has had their TV professionally calibrated?

You're not alone. I've had my Panasonic 65" VT50 calibrated, and also a 60" Samsung LED before that. Years ago had the Mits RPTV done also. It might be rare for those on this forum, but over on AVS Forum it's very common.

nicholc2
Jan 29, 2013, 03:21 PM

If done properly it is in no way a gimmick or marketing ploy. It makes a HUGE difference in the viewing experience. Night and day on most TVs if done properly.

jdmagoo1
Jan 29, 2013, 03:28 PM

Umm you are totally incorrect, having your tv and sound system pro calibrated is like buying a brand new system afterwards, definitely not a marketing ploy!

dckcentaur
Jan 29, 2013, 03:32 PM
I downloaded the app and restarted my iPhone and I have 2 apple tv's one 2nd and one 3rd gen. I also installed on my iPad and I cant get the airplay to show the video screens for Picture adjustment just the sound goes to apple tv's and a black picture . The get started video at the beginning of the app works as it should picture and sound . Its only when going to adjustments is anybody else having the same issue

My Apple TV is on the iOS 5.2 release yesterday n the iPad and iPhone are on 6.1

jazytsax
Jan 29, 2013, 04:01 PM
I downloaded the app and restarted my iPhone and I have 2 apple tv's one 2nd and one 3rd gen. I also installed on my iPad and I cant get the airplay to show the video screens for Picture adjustment just the sound goes to apple tv's and a black picture . The get started video at the beginning of the app works as it should picture and sound . Its only when going to adjustments is anybody else having the same issue

My Apple TV is on the iOS 5.2 release yesterday n the iPad and iPhone are on 6.1

I have this same issue-- iPhone 4 with Apple TV3. Videos work fine but the picture in calibration mode is blank on my screen.

Undecided
Jan 29, 2013, 04:15 PM
So you must connect this to your TV to get any benefit from it?

I have a mini connected to my TV (instead of an Apple TV). Can a mini be tricked into doing Airplay mirroring?

greekappi
Jan 29, 2013, 04:20 PM
Where exactly does one get this professional calibration done? How much does it cost? Is there an agency that does this?

basesloaded190
Jan 29, 2013, 04:22 PM
Where exactly does one get this professional calibration done? How much does it cost? Is there an agency that does this?

Usually through a local AV dealer that sells higher end equipment. I'm sure costs vary tremendously depending on what you have done.

Dc2006ster
Jan 29, 2013, 04:24 PM

Can't agree. Various web sites publish TV settings that they believe give the best picture. I tried a few of them and all are better than the straight out of the box settings which tend to be over saturated and garish. But I then tried the professionally obtained settings that someone kindly posted, There was a difference. The pro settings were more natural and gave more detail.

cube
Jan 29, 2013, 04:28 PM
It looks like the app does not support "4.0 virtual 5.1" systems.

Jamez1502
Jan 29, 2013, 04:44 PM
This really needs to support 7.1 systems

nutmac
Jan 29, 2013, 04:44 PM

Imaging Science Foundation is the best source (list of ISF dealers (Flash) (http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php)). Be warned that video calibration costs about $300 for first video input type (e.g., HDMI) and $100 for each additional type (e.g., component video input). ISF calibration does a lot more than simple calibration that THX offers, such as all-important gray scale level and black level.

In my experience, THX-certified or TVs with ISF mode, notably mid to high-end models from LG, have very accurate settings out of the box (although you will want to do at least DIY adjustments due to manufacturing variance).

peterh988
Jan 29, 2013, 05:23 PM

You need to turn mirroring on on your phone to get the adjustment screen to show on the TV

Double click the home button to get to the bottom menu where you can select or close (wiggly) apps, swipe L-R twice, and use the airplay symbol found there to turn mirroring on (and off again when you,ve done!)

binaryskies
Jan 29, 2013, 05:38 PM
You can always go through Geek Squad to get it calibrated. The THX app is pretty cool tho. I had my TV calibrated by Geek Squad (with a discount due to me working for Geek Squad) and its night and day difference.

dckcentaur
Jan 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
You need to turn mirroring on on your phone to get the adjustment screen to show on the TV

Double click the home button to get to the bottom menu where you can select or close (wiggly) apps, swipe L-R twice, and use the airplay symbol found there to turn mirroring on (and off again when you,ve done!)

Thanks in the app it said Apple TV (mirroring on) so I was looking for a setting in Apple TV . I never really use AirPlay besides for music from my Mac . Learn something new everyday

xraytech
Jan 29, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'm impressed with the Monitor Calibration functionality where it uses the rear facing camera as a Colorimiter. Very very accurate.

malexandria
Jan 30, 2013, 09:21 AM

Love the concept but not sure how this works. I tried Airplay for a week and it was a terrible experience, not sure how calibrating a TV via Airplay would work, and then $49 for an adapter? No thank you. I bought the Digital Essentials Blu-ray off of Amazon last year for $30.

BryanLyle
Jan 30, 2013, 09:39 AM

I've had a couple of TV's calibrated. Made a huge improvement over the settings that I did manually.

justperry
Jan 30, 2013, 10:02 AM
In my experience, THX-certified or TVs with ISF mode, notably mid to high-end models from LG, have very accurate settings out of the box (although you will want to do at least DIY adjustments due to manufacturing variance).

Or, enable this mode in Service Menu.;)

Weaselboy
Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM

Here (http://www.avsforum.com/t/586330/isf-calibrators-where-are-you-located-please-post-here) is a thread at AVS Forums with some recommendations. You can expect to pay somewhere around $300 for a pro calibration.

Just to add to the chorus, totally worth it if you have a quality TV set. Maybe not so much on a $349 Westinghouse LCD TV. :)

musio
Jan 30, 2013, 03:55 PM
Anyone had an improvement from using the app? No optoma brand in the app yet. Missing those projectors.