Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Hello All,

I was doing something when I first got my new late 2012 iMac a few weeks ago after transferring some music. When I clicked a file or folder (cannot remember) and selected "Get Info", hundreds of windows opened. This is unusual to me and I did not have all of the files selected. The file may have been an individual mp3 or it may have just been one album. Anyway, there was much MUCH too many windows open to attempt to close them or even CMD + W them.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I was talking to a classmate today and he said he had a similar issue as well.

Is it a bug, glitch, or malware?

Any information or help is appreciated as I am somewhat concerned.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello All,

I was doing something when I first got my new late 2012 iMac a few weeks ago after transferring some music. When I clicked a file or folder (cannot remember) and selected "Get Info", hundreds of windows opened. This is unusual to me and I did not have all of the files selected. The file may have been an individual mp3 or it may have just been one album. Anyway, there was much MUCH too many windows open to attempt to close them or even CMD + W them.
You may have inadvertently selected more items, but you could close all the windows by Command-Option-W or by relaunching Finder. If you want to get info on a large number of items, you can press the Option key after you right-click and "Get Info" becomes "Show Inspector", or you can Command-Option-I, which will launch a single window with combined information.

It's certainly not malware.

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for clarifying that. I feel like such a noob. The only reason I am concerned is because the music was interacting with (less than 2GB) is pirated. Yes I know it is frowned upon but I download albums to see if I enjoy them before I spend money on them.

Is there any way that these were infected or something?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for clarifying that. I feel like such a noob. The only reason I am concerned is because the music was interacting with (less than 2GB) is pirated. Yes I know it is frowned upon but I download albums to see if I enjoy them before I spend money on them.

Is there any way that these were infected or something?
There is no Mac OS X malware in the wild that infects audio files. As long as you're not installing pirated software, you should be fine, although piracy is not to be encouraged and is frowned upon on this site.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks GGJ for the info.

I have looked at those stickies previously before I bought this mac but I will take another look. I am moving away from pirating as it is.

I am just befuddled because I am sure I didn't have multiple files selected. I have tried duplicating it but no luck. I'll bump this and post a screenshot if it occurs again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.