Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcorgan19982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I received a fake email from Delta Airlines containing a zip attachment with an exe. and other stuff. I wasn't thinking and I opened it on my macbook pro. Turns out this is a serious malware/virus. Do I need to worry about this or is this a windows only problem?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I received a fake email from Delta Airlines containing a zip attachment with an exe. and other stuff. I wasn't thinking and I opened it on my macbook pro. Turns out this is a serious malware/virus. Do I need to worry about this or is this a windows only problem?

You have nothing to worry about. .exe is a Windows only file type. It cannot be processed in OS X. Just delete it and be more careful of what you open in email. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Windows apps, including Windows malware, cannot run on or affect your Mac. Make sure you don't send such emails or attachments to other Windows users, as it could affect them.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

ThatGreekMacGuy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Sparta, Greece

Really, there's nothing to worry about. All .exe files can only be run on Windows OS. It's like opening a .app file on Windows. Don't worry your Mac didn't even recognize that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.