PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6.1 Tidbits: Music Controls on Lock Screen, Maps 'Report a Problem' Button, Diagonal Swiping Bug

MacRumors
Jan 30, 2013, 10:28 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30/ios-6-1-tidbits-music-controls-on-lock-screen-maps-report-a-problem-button-diagonal-swiping-bug/)

While iOS 6.1 brought several widely publicized new features (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/28/apple-releases-ios-6-1-with-new-lte-carriers-and-fandango-siri-integration/) such as support for several dozen new LTE carriers and new support for ordering Fandango movie tickets through Siri in the United States, a number of other minor changes were also included in the update. Given the frequency with which our readers have been pointing some of them out, we thought it would be appropriate to make note of them in a brief roundup.

- Lock screen music controls: The music controls on the iPhone's lock screen have been enhanced as noted by TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2013/01/29/its-in-the-details-ios-6-1-updates-lock-screen-music-controls/), bringing them in line with those in the Music app.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/music.jpg
http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/music-prev.jpg
The shortcut controls, accessed by pressing the home button twice while on the lock screen, have adopted both the look and layout of the Music app. One notable change is that the previous and next buttons are now much further apart from the play/pause button, making them much less likely to be pressed accidentally.

The volume knob also copies the Music app's visual trick of using the phone's accelerometer to vary the angle of virtual reflections on it.

- Maps "Report a Problem" button: Apple has tweaked the "Report a Problem" button in its Maps app, accessible in the preferences section by tapping at the lower right corner of the map page. The option had previously been a small text link, but Apple has now made it a much more prominent and accessible button which is actually now the largest button on the page.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/maps_report_problem_button.jpg
- Rapid diagonal swiping issue improved: Several readers have noted that an issue with rapid diagonal swiping (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/09/touch-recognition-issue-on-iphone-5-5th-generation-ipod-touch-with-rapid-diagonal-swipes/) on the iPhone 5 and fifth-generation iPod touch resulting in loss of touch recognition appears to have been fixed or at least improved in iOS 6.1. Not all readers have experienced improvements, however, with some indicating that performance remains the same (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16745143#post16745143) under iOS 6.1.

Article Link: iOS 6.1 Tidbits: Music Controls on Lock Screen, Maps 'Report a Problem' Button, Diagonal Swiping Bug (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30/ios-6-1-tidbits-music-controls-on-lock-screen-maps-report-a-problem-button-diagonal-swiping-bug/)

distemp
Jan 30, 2013, 10:31 AM
Diagonal swiping is the same for me...not that it was ever an issue.

charlituna
Jan 30, 2013, 10:32 AM
The shadows serve no purpose, why are they wasting more time on that waste of time. Particularly given the bad taste left behind by so much effort out into it for the original release that was full of serious bugs.

Apple Key
Jan 30, 2013, 10:33 AM
I love that the reflection changes as you move your phone via the accelerometer. Wonderful detail here! Just like the icon on icloud.com when you move your mouse.

ayala421
Jan 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
The shadows serve no purpose, why are they wasting more time on that waste of time. Particularly given the bad taste left behind by so much effort out into it for the original release that was full of serious bugs.

I concur...give us features that we actually care about.

I'm sure this little reflection change won't even make it to iOS7

ghostface147
Jan 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
Verizon's carrier version was 14.0 on the iPhone 5 on the 6.1 release, but then this morning I got a message that the carrier information was updated. Checked and it was 14.1.

rmwebs
Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 AM
The maps 'report a problem' button is not new (which I know you stated). It's been there from the beginning. People just dont bother as Apple dont fix the problems.

Moving the button and making it more prominent really wont fix maps. It just makes it more obvious that Apple are having a hard time doing it themselves.

Stuff I reported on launch day is still not fixed.

DomC
Jan 30, 2013, 10:38 AM
Useless feature, but great to see you're listening to Oingo Boingo!

STiNG Operation
That's great that the swiping issue was a bug. Just an argument starter---->(Some people play games that involve swiping rapidly, stop complaining about having/not having problems with it);)

Chumburro2U

I like this, abeit small touch. It says to me that Apple cares about small niceties. And, why wouldn't it make it to iOS 7? :apple:

s2obed
I'm also able to control my music from my iPhone when it's connected via usb in my car. It used to say accessory connected and I either had to use the car controls or select my music then plug it in. I love this!

JPark
Jan 30, 2013, 10:39 AM
Hallelujah! I'm sure a lot of people will consider this an insignificant update, but it's a big improvement for me.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit the forward or backward button instead of the play/pause button and then spent several minutes trying to find where I was in the book.

SandboxGeneral
Jan 30, 2013, 10:39 AM
The lock screen controls and maps button update are a nice thing. I remember when Apple Maps first came out I was looking for a way to report problems.

r2shyyou
Jan 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
Another "tidbit" in iOS 6.1 that I'm surprised hasn't been reported on:

With the release of iOS 6.1 on Monday, Apple addressed a potentially serious bug introduced in iOS 6 that would override a user's Mobile Safari JavaScript settings after visiting a webpage with a so-called "Smart App Banner."

Source: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/28/apples-ios-61-squashes-smart-app-banner-bug-that-re-enabled-javascript-without-user-consent

burl1ves
Jan 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
Boingo!

justinfreid
Jan 30, 2013, 10:47 AM
Since Apple enabled Lock Screen track and pause controls I've felt that the three buttons were much too close.
I've been using a jailbreak fix for a year or two. Good they adjusted this for those who are in jail.

OllyW
Jan 30, 2013, 10:47 AM
Stuff I reported on launch day is still not fixed.

Same here.

I've more or less given up an Apple Maps. I just open it occasionally out of curiosity to check if the one huge error that's local to me has been fixed yet.

mrgraff
Jan 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
You're swiping it wrong. :D

gluckett
Jan 30, 2013, 10:54 AM
The lock screen controls and maps button update are a nice thing. I remember when Apple Maps first came out I was looking for a way to report problems.

I found the way to report problems when it launched and reported several that have yet to be fixed.

SandboxGeneral
Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 AM
I found the way to report problems when it launched and reported several that have yet to be fixed.

Yep. I had found it too, but now this is much easier, as it should have been from the start.

iPhD
Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 AM
The podcast app is the most obvious example of Apple's horribly dysfunctional software design. I hope this app is the last of the legacy of Scott Forstall.

The interface is nothing like any other Apple app. It is not intuitive to use or easy to figure out how to use. The control layout not consistent with any other app. The controls themselves are tiny little buttons and hard to hit with an adult fingertip. The relationship between Library, playlist, and episode is so disjointed and without flow. Oh! But it's got a really ridiculous skeuomorphic reel-to-reel tapedeck animation when you finally succeed in getting a podcast to play. Super. Right now while trying to write about it, I feel myself getting more confused as I try to explain why I think this app is just bad.

So, it's super that a couple of buttons got moved apart in iTunes. Now deal with this tangled rat's nest that is the podcast app.

<steps down from soapbox of rant, picks up espresso, and slinks away>

utwarreng
Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 AM

The reflection has been in since iOS 6 came out, just only within the Music app (and possibly Podcast...?).

Complaining about how much time they spent on this "feature" is a moot point, as they most certainly just copied the code over from these other apps and replaced the existing button. Come down from your soapbox and put the razorblade down, chicken little. The sky is not falling.

M-O
Jan 30, 2013, 11:45 AM
The podcast app is the most obvious example of Apple's horribly dysfunctional software design. I hope this app is the last of the legacy of Scott Forstall.

The interface is nothing like any other Apple app. It is not intuitive to use or easy to figure out how to use. The control layout not consistent with any other app. The controls themselves are tiny little buttons and hard to hit with an adult fingertip. The relationship between Library, playlist, and episode is so disjointed and without flow. Oh! But it's got a really ridiculous skeuomorphic reel-to-reel tapedeck animation when you finally succeed in getting a podcast to play. Super. Right now while trying to write about it, I feel myself getting more confused as I try to explain why I think this app is just bad.

So, it's super that a couple of buttons got moved apart in iTunes. Now deal with this tangled rat's nest that is the podcast app.

<steps down from soapbox of rant, picks up espresso, and slinks away>

i don't use the podcast app. i tried it for a few days, then quickly went back to the music app. now my issue is with wifi syncing. worked fine in iOS 5, still doesn't work properly in iOS 6.

ChromeCloud
Jan 30, 2013, 11:45 AM
The diagonal swiping bug has definitely been cured on my iPhone 5 with this update. Wizardry.

Singin Hobo
Jan 30, 2013, 12:12 PM
Hallelujah! I'm sure a lot of people will consider this an insignificant update, but it's a big improvement for me.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit the forward or backward button instead of the play/pause button and then spent several minutes trying to find where I was in the book.
This happens to me all the time. I'm excited too... small as it is this is an important update to me.

MrXiro
Jan 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
No mention of the bluetooth latency issue? Video and audio would go out of sync when watching videos that had breaks. Audio would clip the first 2 seconds and/or start late. Also would not match with the time code (not that it matters but just proves there was latency in the audio).

It's been fixed FYI. Couldn't be happier!

Fenir
Jan 30, 2013, 12:24 PM
I really wish they would move the trash icon in the mail to the right or left. It is directly right on top of the home button and I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally (without knowing) deleted an email to the trash when all I wanted to do was go home.

HornetMontana
Jan 30, 2013, 12:56 PM
Someone else please confirm if the following function was removed with this update (for I am experiencing this): if you play a video in Safari, click the Home button (closing Safari), click the Sleep button, double click the Home button to get to the Lock screen and hit play, the audio will no longer play. Instead, Safari must remain open and not be closed prior to hitting the Sleep button.

This is unfortunate, as it is quite useful to play the audio from Safari from the Lock screen, unlock, and open a different browser while Safari continues to play.

bacaramac
Jan 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
I don't see how the Diagonal swiping was even a true issue. I can't find any reason to actually swipe that fast. All the swiping games work flawlessly.

Bahroo
Jan 30, 2013, 01:33 PM
Someone else please confirm if the following function was removed with this update (for I am experiencing this): if you play a video in Safari, click the Home button (closing Safari), click the Sleep button, double click the Home button to get to the Lock screen and hit play, the audio will no longer play. Instead, Safari must remain open and not be closed prior to hitting the Sleep button.

This is unfortunate, as it is quite useful to play the audio from Safari from the Lock screen, unlock, and open a different browser while Safari continues to play.

Yes I honestly think it was Googles request...they took out Background Audio in Safari. You also used to be able to do it in the Jasmine app(youtube app) but it said that at Googles request for them to take off background audio.

Im not exactly sure why they took that feature out it was a fantastic feature i would always listen to Youtube videos and turn my screen off.

Oh well

----------

Scrolling feels more springier and bouncier I feel like, espcially in Safari I noticed this.

markdj
Jan 30, 2013, 01:37 PM
This seems to have fixed the Bluetooth music issue where the iPhone would stop broadcasting music to my Beats wireless headphones but still look like it was. Now it works great! No loss of broadcast!

C DM
Jan 30, 2013, 01:46 PM
Yes I honestly think it was Googles request...they took out Background Audio in Safari. You also used to be able to do it in the Jasmine app(youtube app) but it said that at Googles request for them to take off background audio.

Im not exactly sure why they took that feature out it was a fantastic feature i would always listen to Youtube videos and turn my screen off.

Oh wellSo would this apply only to YouTube then? Or would playing audio from any site now no longer be allowed while Safari in the background. If it's any site, why does Google get to influence that just because they want something for oen of their properties?

bacaramac
Jan 30, 2013, 02:04 PM
This seems to have fixed the Bluetooth music issue where the iPhone would stop broadcasting music to my Beats wireless headphones but still look like it was. Now it works great! No loss of broadcast!

My car bluetooth would do this with the iPhone 5 every so often. Hopefully it resolved it as well.

applesith
Jan 30, 2013, 02:21 PM
Having the track buttons closer to the corners is nice. Very welcomed!

ssspinball
Jan 30, 2013, 02:23 PM
I really wish they would move the trash icon in the mail to the right or left. It is directly right on top of the home button and I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally (without knowing) deleted an email to the trash when all I wanted to do was go home.

Go into Settings > Mail & Calendars and turn on Ask Before Deleting.

SuperSnake2012
Jan 30, 2013, 02:33 PM
I'm also able to control my music from my iPhone when it's connected via usb in my car. It used to say accessory connected and I either had to use the car controls or select my music then plug it in. I love this!

Confirmed on my 4S. Back on iOS 5, I had actually jailbroken my phone just to be able to control the music app while it was plugged into USB. I don't know why this feature wasn't advertised, because this is huge for me.

WilliamG
Jan 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
Diagonal swiping is the same for me...not that it was ever an issue.

Definitely fixed for my iPhone 5. I was able to get my screen to stop responding on rapid swipes easily prior to 6.1. Not anymore since updating.

Bahroo
Jan 30, 2013, 03:05 PM
So would this apply only to YouTube then? Or would playing audio from any site now no longer be allowed while Safari in the background. If it's any site, why does Google get to influence that just because they want something for oen of their properties?

Well they asked the Jasmine developers to take off background audio from their app. Im not sure why its gone in Safari though

milo
Jan 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
Subtle improvement but a nice one. Now if they'd just add star ratings there as well. And heck, move the star ratings for music anywhere that isn't buried so much and requires so many clicks to find - it's almost like someone decided there's something "bad" about them and wanted to discourage people from using them.

Also, I assume they never added lyrics display back on iPad (and is it gone on iPhone now too)?

Fenir
Jan 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
Go into Settings > Mail & Calendars and turn on Ask Before Deleting.

Thanks for the workaround.

Zimmer62943
Jan 30, 2013, 04:00 PM
as one of the few users who still use MAPS, i find it rather silly that they change the report a problem button because pretty much since the launch of maps, i have been reporting the same issues in my town, locations kilometers away from where they actually are, places that shut down years ago etc. i have reported them tons of times and still no change.

ski4ever
Jan 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
Another feature that no one has pointed out is that in Passbook, Apple has added a card containing the link to Passbook-supported apps in the App Store. The list doesn't have every app, but it has most of them. Pretty convenient.

dukebound85
Jan 30, 2013, 06:17 PM
Yes! So glad this was fixed

zorinlynx
Jan 30, 2013, 06:20 PM
The accelerometer controlled glint on the music player controls is just plain silly. They're wasting CPU cycles (which translates to battery life) on something useless!

Bahroo
Jan 30, 2013, 06:22 PM
Apple should just hire like 1000 reliable people to go all around the U.S in their own cars and confirm and approve and fix any Maps problems around the U.S... i think they would get tons of work done real fast lmfao

----------

The accelerometer controlled glint on the music player controls is just plain silly. They're wasting CPU cycles (which translates to battery life) on something useless!

lol you got to be kidding me...

Nermal
Jan 30, 2013, 06:22 PM
Another feature that no one has pointed out is that in Passbook, Apple has added a card containing the link to Passbook-supported apps in the App Store. The list doesn't have every app, but it has most of them. Pretty convenient.

It's been pointed out :)

Strigoi
Jan 30, 2013, 07:19 PM
And the reflection of the new volume control button in the lockscreen changes when you slightly tilt your phone ;)

hushypushy
Jan 30, 2013, 08:08 PM
The new lock screen controls are actually a semi-big deal for me. I don't have fat fingers (honest!) but I've found myself changing the volume or skipping tracks so many times when I just wanted to pause. The new buttons look better too :cool:

mattymo
Jan 30, 2013, 08:58 PM
not just in iOS 6.1 but just in 6.x in general, I don't like that they changed the skip buttons from |<< and >>| to << and >> without the | to me, they are just search fast forward and search rewind and not "skip forward" and "skip back"

am I the only one that is bothered by this?

RRmalvado
Jan 30, 2013, 09:04 PM

I am with you... I love this "unannounced" feature. I am also able to play my iTunes Match music instead of jsut the music that was downloaded to the iPhone5.

tvguy
Jan 31, 2013, 12:01 AM
The new 6.1 update fixed the ongoing problem with my iPhone 5 and my Garmin GPS. Before incoming calls would come through to the BT headset for a few seconds then get transferred back to the phone from the BT connection on the GPS.

Now the connection is solid. I am using the GPS on my motorcycle so I couldn't grab the phone and make any changes with gloves on...:D

macduke
Jan 31, 2013, 12:40 AM
Also—when the Bluetooth is connected, that "airplay" icon lights up orange. The use of orange in a UI from Apple seems odd—but it looks nice! I noticed the new music controls right away because I stream music over Bluetooth to the Aux-In on my car and use these controls every day. The orange really stood out to me. Perhaps a hint of what's to come in iOS 7? Attached is a screenshot of me connected to my Apple TV with no music playing.

faizoff
Jan 31, 2013, 09:35 AM
I can't remember but didn't the song listing have the time listed in another column beside the name? I see it's right below the name now.

5t3f4n
Jan 31, 2013, 12:16 PM
not just in iOS 6.1 but just in 6.x in general, I don't like that they changed the skip buttons from |<< and >>| to << and >> without the | to me, they are just search fast forward and search rewind and not "skip forward" and "skip back"

am I the only one that is bothered by this?

I have actually thought about that before, but they also function as search if you hold down the button. So I guess it's OK...

Also, has the "Finished" button always been there in Panorama mode?
I thought you were forced to finish the shoot before you got a picture.
http://oi46.tinypic.com/352jjvn.jpg

akbarali.ch
Jan 31, 2013, 12:56 PM
update is nice but not worth point one update, that too so many months gone in it. it deserve to be 6.0.3 at the most. imo.

kockgunner
Feb 2, 2013, 12:29 AM
Does anyone's keyboard feel faster? It finally has the responsiveness of pre iOS 4 for me. There are less simultaneous key pop ups and the feeling of lag. It overall feels more responsive.

I still wish they would split the keyboard in landscape mode. It's a bit too centred for the iPhone 5's height.

BlaqkAudio
Feb 2, 2013, 01:28 AM

Wrong, YouTube requested Jase (creator of Jasmine/Alien Blue) to remove automatic background audio. Manual background audio worked fine in 6.0.x. Now background audio using Safari/webview is broken.