PDA

View Full Version : iBook key sticking

prostuff1
Oct 7, 2005, 10:43 PM
I have had my for a while now and the "s" key is sticking. I noticed it about 1 week after i got it and just thought it was because it was new but now it will not stop. It is kinda getting annoying!! I took a can or air and used that on it for a good while i have also pried on the key but that does not help. I thought about trying to get the key off and look under it but i am afraid i will not be able to get it back on.

Just to let you know. I would rather not send it in because i use this for school all the time. And seeing as i live no where close to an apple brick store it is a little difficult to get to one.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for me??

Thanks

Eniregnat
Oct 8, 2005, 12:31 AM
If it's an iBook, the keyboard is user replaceable. No down time.
If you want Apple to talk you through fixing the key, they will have you pry it off, and stick it back on. It may just need reseating, but if the problem is not in the scissor mechanism, but rather with the switch that lies beneath the silicone membrane, then it's going to have to be a new keyboard.

bursty
Oct 8, 2005, 12:34 AM
The keyboards are replaceable for Powerbooks too. If you are going to try it yourself, look up www.pbfixit.com for their guide on how to do it with a PB. I'm sure it would be similar for an iBook.

mjstew33
Oct 8, 2005, 12:36 AM
Call AppleCare. ;)

prostuff1
Oct 8, 2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I figured i would just call AppleCare but i wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to fixing it before i went through the phone calls.

Thanks