PDA

View Full Version : Apple Issues SMC Firmware Update for MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air Models

MacRumors
Jan 30, 2013, 04:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30/apple-issues-smc-firmware-update-for-macbook-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-models/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/notebooks.jpg
Apple has issued updates for MacBook (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1625), MacBook Pro (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1626), and MacBook Air (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1627) notebook models to fix a rare battery issue. The updates are available via Apple's software updates page (http://support.apple.com/downloads) or through Software Update and the Mac App Store.
This update addresses a rare issue on some Apple notebooks where a battery that has accumulated more than 1000 charge cycles may unexpectedly shut down or stop functioning.Update: MacRumors forum member Dempson looked inside the updates (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16756517#post16756517) and found they are for the following machines:
MacBook
MacBook7,1 (13-inch, Mid 2010)

MacBook Air
MacBookAir3,1 (11-inch, Late 2010)
MacBookAir3,2 (13-inch, Late 2010)
MacBookAir4,1 (11-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBookAir4,2 (13-inch, Mid 2011)

MacBook Pro
MacBookPro7,1 (13-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBookPro8,1 (13-inch, Early 2011 or Late 2011)

Article Link: Apple Issues SMC Firmware Update for MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air Models (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30/apple-issues-smc-firmware-update-for-macbook-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-models/)

hammie14
Jan 30, 2013, 04:17 PM
Nothing for me in the UK

mrsir2009
Jan 30, 2013, 04:18 PM
That’s a very odd issue...

Kobayagi
Jan 30, 2013, 04:27 PM
My '11 MacBook Air froze on startup after the necessary restart. I did have the SuperDrive with a dvd inside plugged in, maybe that's why??

Compile 'em all
Jan 30, 2013, 04:29 PM
Update not showing up for me :/

NMBob
Jan 30, 2013, 04:29 PM
Tried installing the downloaded package. It doesn't appear to be for a MacBookPro9,2.

dannyp1996
Jan 30, 2013, 04:37 PM
I have a Mid 2010 13" (the last of the C2Ds) and the update just showed up for me.

NutsNGum
Jan 30, 2013, 04:45 PM
My '11 MacBook Air froze on startup after the necessary restart. I did have the SuperDrive with a dvd inside plugged in, maybe that's why??

Same thing's happened to me before, they don't always seem to play nice with external media that's been plugged in on boot.

devilbond
Jan 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
Updated. Very happy.
Safari is way snappier now.

ghostface147
Jan 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
I guess I am in the clear. Mid-2011 MacBook Pro 17".

Dwalls90
Jan 30, 2013, 04:51 PM
I guess I am in the clear. Mid-2011 MacBook Pro 17".

You mean early or late 2011?

bb426
Jan 30, 2013, 04:58 PM
It's only certain models apparently, but it doesn't state which. See here (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1626) for MBP (here (http://support.apple.com/downloads/) for everybody else).

If you don't get it in Software Update, you most likely don't need it. If you're skeptical, download it manually and see if your system takes it (it will tell you it's not meant for your system if it isn't).

Seems it isn't for 2011 MB's.

dempson
Jan 30, 2013, 05:02 PM
Looking inside the updates, they are for the following:

MacBook
MacBook7,1 (13-inch, Mid 2010)

MacBook Air
MacBookAir3,1 (11-inch, Late 2010)
MacBookAir3,2 (13-inch, Late 2010)
MacBookAir4,1 (11-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBookAir4,2 (13-inch, Mid 2011)

MacBook Pro
MacBookPro7,1 (13-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBookPro8,1 (13-inch, Early 2011 or Late 2011)

The MacBook disk image from the Apple support download page appears to be damaged - I got an error "There may be a problem with this disk image. Are you sure you want to open it?". I was able to examine the package after clicking the Open button, but it might be safer for MacBook users to get this one via Software Update until Apple fixes the image. The other two disk images mounted OK.

Edit: it occurs to me that the bad image might be a problem on my nearest Akamai mirror. Anyone else have problems mounting the MacBook disk image? (I downloaded it twice, didn't help.)

KevinMHC
Jan 30, 2013, 05:06 PM
Updated. Very happy.

is this a running joke or something?

slu
Jan 30, 2013, 05:06 PM
Updated. Very happy.

That dead horse you are beating sure makes a loud thud.

Magrathea
Jan 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
NOt for MBP 5,2 latest MBA.

ghostface147
Jan 30, 2013, 05:14 PM
You mean early or late 2011?

I bought it June 2011. I think it's classified as early for some reason.

atMac
Jan 30, 2013, 05:20 PM
Since this update the fans on my air wont stop going up and down. All I'm doing is streaming a video that never used to make it go up and down before.

parish
Jan 30, 2013, 05:21 PM
Tried installing the downloaded package. It doesn't appear to be for a MacBookPro9,2.

Or MBP10,1 (retina mid-2012).

iapplelove
Jan 30, 2013, 05:22 PM
no update here.

Dwalls90
Jan 30, 2013, 05:33 PM
I bought it June 2011. I think it's classified as early for some reason.

Lol when people say that they mean when it was released not when they bought :) I have the same one so thanks for letting me know

Battlefield Fan
Jan 30, 2013, 05:34 PM
Updated. Very happy.

Leave.

GIZBUG
Jan 30, 2013, 05:44 PM
That dead horse you are beating sure makes a loud thud.

People who think they are funny is what it is. Comment got old about 2 years ago.

Aluminum213
Jan 30, 2013, 05:50 PM
165KB update for my 13" mid 2010 MacBook Pro

glsillygili
Jan 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
good thing i just unistalled linux and reinstalled os x :D

lilabila
Jan 30, 2013, 06:52 PM
Leave.

Safari feels sappy now... it's time is gone

MacTech68
Jan 30, 2013, 06:57 PM
...The MacBook disk image from the Apple support download page appears to be damaged - I got an error "There may be a problem with this disk image. Are you sure you want to open it?". I was able to examine the package after clicking the Open button, but it might be safer for MacBook users to get this one via Software Update until Apple fixes the image. The other two disk images mounted OK.

Edit: it occurs to me that the bad image might be a problem on my nearest Akamai mirror. Anyone else have problems mounting the MacBook disk image? (I downloaded it twice, didn't help.)

Same here, and I'm on an iiNet Akamai server, which you may also be on. :confused:

DaveTheRave
Jan 30, 2013, 07:36 PM
Updated. Very happy.

Where is the downrank button?

cav23j
Jan 30, 2013, 07:46 PM
had the problem with my computer stop functioning

have a MacBook7,1 (13-inch, Mid 2010)

hopefully this fixes it

Hawkeye411
Jan 30, 2013, 07:50 PM
Safari is indeed snappier!! :D

Chupa Chupa
Jan 30, 2013, 08:01 PM
Updated. Very happy.

Safari is indeed snappier!! :D

Your comment reminds me of an old Richard Thompson lyric:

Her pa's in the city, he's so witty, he calls it the zoo

thefourthpope
Jan 30, 2013, 08:10 PM
Off-topic, but the thumbnail in the sidebar made me think we were getting a vertical MacBook…
:eek:

On-topic: happy to have this, just in case

AlphaDogg
Jan 30, 2013, 08:21 PM
I'll give it a go on my 13" MBP and my mom's 2010 MB.

noiseordinance
Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 PM
Now if they'd just fix the problems people gave a crap about, we'd be set!

AlphaDogg
Jan 30, 2013, 09:10 PM
Now if they'd just fix the problems people gave a crap about, we'd be set!

And these problems are....?

noiseordinance
Jan 30, 2013, 09:31 PM
And these problems are....?

Well, I've been using an rMBP 15" so I'll just focus on that. How bout some silly issues like having to choose "Change Desktop Background" twice before it comes up, or restarting the computer makes the desktop revert to an old background. How about having to reset the SMC several times to get games to play at 900 MHz on the GPU instead of 270 MHz. Or for the real nasty one that's just killing me, how about making Safari actually work correctly and render CSS as well as Chrome and Internet Explorer do? See this thread here for details: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145775?start=75&tstart=0

These are flaws that have been ongoing since the rMBP came out (their new flagship product, mind you). No matter how many times I complain to them, no many how many times I've reinstalled / switched out machines, the problems still exist. They are most certainly taking their sweet time.

AlphaDogg
Jan 30, 2013, 09:33 PM
Well, I've been using an rMBP 15" so I'll just focus on that. How bout some silly issues like having to choose "Change Desktop Background" twice before it comes up, or restarting the computer makes the desktop revert to an old background. How about having to reset the SMC several times to get games to play at 900 MHz on the GPU instead of 270 MHz. Or for the real nasty one that's just killing me, how about making Safari actually work correctly and render CSS as well as Chrome and Internet Explorer do? See this thread here for details: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145775?start=75&tstart=0

These are flaws that have been ongoing since the rMBP came out (their new flagship product, mind you). No matter how many times I complain to them, no many how many times I've reinstalled / switched out machines, the problems still exist. They are most certainly taking their sweet time.

I was expecting you to post issues that are relevant to the thread....:confused:

This is an SMC update for the 13" MBP, 13" MB, and MBA.

noiseordinance
Jan 30, 2013, 09:46 PM
I was expecting you to post issues that are relevant to the thread....:confused:

This is an SMC update for the 13" MBP, 13" MB, and MBA.

My comment is that Apple hasn't been investing technical expertise in a direction that I personally care about. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but my opinion is nevertheless relavant to a thread about fixing a battery issue after 1000 charges. You don't see the relevance? I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

123macman
Jan 30, 2013, 10:09 PM
My computer just hit 1000 load cycles and unexpectedly shut down then restarted. It has never done that before and when I turned it back on the first thing I did was go to macrumors and this article is at the top of the page.

yusukeaoki
Jan 30, 2013, 10:15 PM
Early 2011 17in MBP and no updates for me.
Where is 10.8.3!!!!????? :mad:

Mr. Retrofire
Jan 31, 2013, 01:30 AM
The MacBook disk image from the Apple support download page appears to be damaged - I got an error "There may be a problem with this disk image. Are you sure you want to open it?". I was able to examine the package after clicking the Open button, but it might be safer for MacBook users to get this one via Software Update until Apple fixes the image. The other two disk images mounted OK.

Check the disk image via (in the Terminal):
hdiutil imageinfo <path-to-disk-image-file>

It is probably only a new or different partition format. They created the disk image probably with OS X 10.9 (Beta).

----------

Where is the downrank button?
iEat them for breakfast.

nxent
Jan 31, 2013, 01:50 AM
how nice would it be if 'everyone' could fix their battery issues with a firmware update... by 'everyone', I mean Boeing, only not so subtle.

Mackan
Jan 31, 2013, 02:22 AM
Early 2011 17in MBP and no updates for me.
Where is 10.8.3!!!!????? :mad:

In my back pocket.

Mr.damien
Jan 31, 2013, 02:31 AM
Off-topic, but the thumbnail in the sidebar made me think we were getting a vertical MacBook…
:eek:

On-topic: happy to have this, just in case

Yeah, I though it was a MacBookPro 5 :D

towg
Jan 31, 2013, 02:49 AM
Updated. Very happy.

It usually is :D

dempson
Jan 31, 2013, 03:32 AM
Check the disk image via (in the Terminal):

hdiutil imageinfo <path-to-disk-image-file>

It is probably only a new or different partition format. They created the disk image probably with OS X 10.9 (Beta).

Thanks for the tip, but there is no evidence of that. I compared the output of "hdiutil imageinfo" for one of the good images and the possibly damaged MacBook one, and they are structurally identical: same image format, same compression format. The only details which differ are things like checksums, volume size, and partition-data for partition zero.

hdiutil verify reports the disk image checksums are OK.

Mounting it and doing a Verify Disk in Disk Utility reports "Volume header needs minor repair", so it appears that the file system inside the disk image has a minor corruption issue.

medi.freak
Jan 31, 2013, 05:40 AM
my fans went up to Full Speed on my mid 2011 Air whilst booting... Anyone else had that? Awkward since I did it when I was in the library... :rolleyes:

madsci954
Jan 31, 2013, 07:43 AM
my fans went up to Full Speed on my mid 2011 Air whilst booting... Anyone else had that? Awkward since I did it when I was in the library... :rolleyes:

Mine did, same model. But they stopped after they installation.

GenesisST
Jan 31, 2013, 07:44 AM
Updated. Very happy.

To all people complaining about that post, I'd take missed attempts at humor over humorless twits anytime! ;)

LlamaLarry
Jan 31, 2013, 07:56 AM
my fans went up to Full Speed on my mid 2011 Air whilst booting... Anyone else had that? Awkward since I did it when I was in the library... :rolleyes:Me too on MBA 4,1 Maybe did an SMC reset as part of the install?

melendezest
Jan 31, 2013, 10:10 AM
Updated. Very happy.

Hahaha. Nice.

Too many people here have lost their sense of humor and are just too uptight.. :p

nsayer
Jan 31, 2013, 11:17 AM
is this a running joke or something?

You must be new here.

baryon
Jan 31, 2013, 01:07 PM
It's crazy how you can even get an update for the battery!

Baklava
Jan 31, 2013, 01:52 PM
Updated. Very happy.
Hahaha. Safari-users getting paranoiac. :D :D

arcite
Jan 31, 2013, 02:44 PM
nice, my macbook pro suffers from these shutdowns! Pludging.

Palvolin
Jan 31, 2013, 03:39 PM
I started having this problem about two weeks ago. I went to sleep with my battery holding its normal charge and in the morning it was completely shut off. When I plugged my power cord in, it showed a green light. When I loaded everything up i looked at my battery icon and it showed 0% charged and not charging - replace now.

I just got this update, but it hasn't resolved the issue. Not sure if I need to do something extra to get it to work or what...

Help?

smartalic34
Jan 31, 2013, 05:02 PM

I think this is a standard occurrence with SMC firmware updates...

Mr. Retrofire
Jan 31, 2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, but there is no evidence of that. I compared the output of "hdiutil imageinfo" for one of the good images and the possibly damaged MacBook one, and they are structurally identical: same image format, same compression format. The only details which differ are things like checksums, volume size, and partition-data for partition zero.

hdiutil verify reports the disk image checksums are OK.

Mounting it and doing a Verify Disk in Disk Utility reports "Volume header needs minor repair", so it appears that the file system inside the disk image has a minor corruption issue.
I see. Thanks for the info! :-)

----------

It's crazy how you can even get an update for the battery!
Or thunderbolt cables:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/27/apple-releases-thunderbolt-firmware-update-v1-1/

derrick021
Jan 31, 2013, 11:05 PM
got white mb unibody late 2010, battery was pronounced dead after 1050 cycles about a month ago, so i live on power cord. was more than happy to see this update. updated (checked). nothing changed. smc reset with no help. battery still not charging, it keeps saying 'replace now'

do you guys think i still have some hope on saving me a new battery ? it used to hold more then 3 hours of working time just before it died.

arefbe
Feb 1, 2013, 03:16 AM
To all people complaining about that post, I'd take missed attempts at humor over humorless twits anytime! ;)

I think it's a tossup!

Simplicated
Feb 1, 2013, 05:41 AM
got white mb unibody late 2010, battery was pronounced dead after 1050 cycles about a month ago, so i live on power cord. was more than happy to see this update. updated (checked). nothing changed. smc reset with no help. battery still not charging, it keeps saying 'replace now'

do you guys think i still have some hope on saving me a new battery ? it used to hold more then 3 hours of working time just before it died.

Because batteries will eventually be depleted. Buy a new one.

jonnysods
Feb 1, 2013, 10:03 AM
Nothing for me.

dab0mb
Feb 2, 2013, 09:01 AM
Because batteries will eventually be depleted. Buy a new one.

but do MBP batteries really get totally drained after 1000+ cycles, because I have the same case with derrick021. Lappy's 28mos old and cycle count is 1052. It used to still hold 4 to 5 hours of charge a week ago, then suddenly, it wouldn't charge anymore. And oh, the date and time, as well as the wifi connection keeps getting a reset everytime I turn on my laptop using the power cord. Is that normal, too? :confused:

dab0mb
Feb 2, 2013, 10:09 AM
and oh, wont the fw update reset my hard drive? do i need to backup my files before doing a fw update?

gessgallardo
Feb 7, 2013, 03:33 AM

I'm having the same issue, 1086 cycles :( and still I haven't found an answer of how to solve this.

MacTech68
Feb 7, 2013, 07:15 AM

I'm having the same issue, 1086 cycles :( and still I haven't found an answer of how to solve this.

What version of SMC does System Profiler report your MacBook as having?

For ONLY the MacBook targeted by this update, your SMC version should be v1.60f6

If it's anything else, then the update hasn't applied.

wayner8088
Feb 7, 2013, 09:30 AM
Updated 2011 MacBook Air and everything is speedier...EVERYTHING, from iApps to 3rd party apps. Now if you can ONLY do the same for my MacBook Retina!!!!

gessgallardo
Feb 7, 2013, 11:45 AM
What version of SMC does System Profiler report your MacBook as having?

For ONLY the MacBook targeted by this update, your SMC version should be v1.60f6

If it's anything else, then the update hasn't applied.

Based on this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237 (summary of FI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs) and this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1626 (MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.6 released on Jan 30 2013) it suppose that my macbook pro battery should charge as always because i have the last EFI and SCM updates ( the funny thing is one day before the release of the firmware update, the battery were still working... funny.) so, I don't know if the battery really don't work anymore or just the update haven't applied yet to my mac.

pd: sorry for my lame english :P!

MacTech68
Feb 7, 2013, 01:03 PM
Based on this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237 (summary of FI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs) and this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1626 (MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.6 released on Jan 30 2013) it suppose that my macbook pro battery should charge as always because i have the last EFI and SCM updates ( the funny thing is one day before the release of the firmware update, the battery were still working... funny.) so, I don't know if the battery really don't work anymore or just the update haven't applied yet to my mac...

Correct.

Looks like the update HAS been applied to your MacBookPro. The firmware update should update the MacBookPro (13-inch, Mid 2010) to SMC version 1.62f7, which you have.

The MacBookPro SMC Update v1.6 contains two versions of SMC firmware for the following MacBookPro models:

MacBookPro (13-inch, Mid 2010) (MacBookPro7,1) updates to SMC v1.62f7

MacBookPro (13-inch, Early 2011) (MacBookPro8,1) updates to SMC v1.68f99

Hopefully, Apple can sort this out. It seems most failures have been sudden (as supposedly fixed by the firmware update) but if you're already over the 1050 cycles mark, it's too late for the battery itself. I imagine Apple may need to come up with a battery re-setter for those batteries already hit with this issue if my reckoning is correct.

aapl-danial
Feb 9, 2013, 12:42 AM
Legitness

techigo
Feb 9, 2013, 03:32 PM
I have update to SMC v1.68f99 on Macbook Pro 8.1 early 2011 and I think battery its now working worse. Percentage its down like seconds... **** update in my opinion.

veev
Feb 21, 2013, 01:39 AM
Facts: Mid to Late 2010 Macbook Pro 13" with latest Mountain Lion (10.8.2??)

installed SMC update 1.6 as requested through the app store
update went through and computer restarted with following symptoms:
-fan running at full blast
-battery icon crossed on menu bar and showing "no battery available" when clicked. SMC looks fine apart from battery showing 0%
-screen light turns on full blast
-keyboard lights don't function nor able to be adjusted using F5+F6 keys

I did a few restarts hoping symptoms pass - no help

I logged back into app store - it showed update req still, run through the update again, worked, but no change of fan, battery or lights - still malfunctioning.
Tried SMC reset, apple recovery online, normal recovery (holding option key on startup), nothing works:(

Please help...

Brian Y
Feb 21, 2013, 02:02 AM

-battery icon crossed on menu bar and showing "no battery available" when clicked. SMC looks fine apart from battery showing 0%

I logged back into app store - it showed update req still, run through the update again, worked, but no change of fan, battery or lights - still malfunctioning.
Tried SMC reset, apple recovery online, normal recovery (holding option key on startup), nothing works:(

Please help...

Take it to an Apple store.

knuro
Feb 21, 2013, 10:14 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30/apple-issues-smc-firmware-update-for-macbook-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-models/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/notebooks.jpg)
Apple has issued updates for MacBook (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1625), MacBook Pro (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1626), and MacBook Air (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1627) notebook models to fix a rare battery issue. The updates are available via Apple's software updates page (http://support.apple.com/downloads) or through Software Update and the Mac App Store.
Update: MacRumors forum member Dempson looked inside the updates (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16756517#post16756517) and found they are for the following machines:

Article Link: Apple Issues SMC Firmware Update for MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air Models (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30/apple-issues-smc-firmware-update-for-macbook-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-models/)

I have mid-2011, Mac Air 13", 128 GG RAM, the icon for App Store in my dock shows an update available (a '1' in red circle). When I open App Store and click on Updates, the page opens and shows one available but after a lot of 'spinning' says No Updates Available while still showing the update available. What's going on?
I did a complete shutdown and started up with all my peripherals disconnected. No change.

Download completed. I guess the server(s) busy and gave the wrong message.

akimont88
Feb 21, 2013, 11:06 PM

Please help...

I have had some serious issues since installing SMC update 1.6. My computer is freezing constantly, and often, my WiFi and ethernet cards are not being detected. Here's a thread where a few others have posted who have issues.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21315004?ac_cid=tw123456#21315004

Kunli
Mar 6, 2013, 03:40 AM
My Mac Pro (13 inch, early 2011) is not able to get charged any more.
Half year ago, milk was split into my Mac, but it has been working since then except the first night.
during the trip to USA 3 weeks ago, the battery did not charge, with adapter shining weak yellow and green.
Now I am back to Germany, it does not work either.
Any one with any idea of the reason and how to fix it?
Thank you.

Macman45
Mar 6, 2013, 03:43 AM
Nothing for my Mid 2011 MBA 13" either...It's up for sale anyway.

** Edit**

Just remembered, I DID get the update after I performed a non-destrucitve re-install of OSX prior to the sale! My Bad.

tatin
Mar 9, 2013, 12:03 AM
I have a mid 2010 macbook (white unibody) and wasn't able to download the firmware up until my battery already shut down.. what do i do?

swingerofbirch
Mar 23, 2013, 11:00 PM
I had a 2010 13" MBP. The battery of it died very suddenly after reaching over 1,000 cycles. It was in good health and over the course of a week died entirely. Apple wouldn't cover it because it was over 1,000 cycles. At the time I e-mailed back and forth with an Apple senior advisor demonstrating why I thought they should replace it under AppleCare, namely that Apple's web-site says it should last around 5 years and that after 1,000 cycles it should still have 80% health. But they only warranty it for 1,000 cycles. It also seemed to me that the cycle count was unusually high.

Anyhow, after seeing this update which pretty much described the situation I had perfectly, I contacted Apple—over a year later. The first customer relations agent I spoke with refused a refund outright, but I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and they were amazing. They researched the issue, were very friendly, and ended up refunding me the cost of the battery replacement.

They do have very good service, I have to say.