Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Share your stories

Well I've got one. So I used Apple Maps the other day while I was downtown. I was just trying to to something simple. Find the nearest convenience store. So, here I am walking around all of downtown, I could not figure out where Siri was trying to take me. I felt like I was in a horror movie. The route kept changing and the travel distance kept growing.

I literally had to go in a circle to get to a place that as literally right around the corner. There were plenty of convenience stores. And plenty that Siri didn't know about.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I didn't get lost as I knew exactly where I was today, but it did expect to get off on the highway exit ramp and get right back on the highway only to get off in another 1/2 mile. Yes,it's true that the ramp was moving faster than the highway, but still. Seems silly.

I ended up taking local roads to the next exit anyhow as the traffic was massively backed up.

Earlier this month I set out to take local roads all the way home from work and used Maps. The route it indicated was one I had taken before, but in the dark and snow I missed the turn I was supposed to take. I almost ended up in downtown Boston before I decided to pull over and switch to the Garmin app.

B

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Something is wrong with the maps app, because it will direct you to any old where. For some reason it kept changing my route. It will not hesitate to send you 300 miles away from where you wanted to go.

You'll be in another country before you know it. I can understand how a person would drive into a lake.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Remember when people were smart enough to navigate without a 3 inch piece of plastic telling them what to do?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Maps has been practically perfect for me except for on one occasion. I was in Toronto with my GF and a coworker and before leaving we decided to stop at Starbucks and grab a quick overpriced coffee. I pulled out my iPhone and asked Siri to get me directions.

A few turns later we reached our destination, a Tim Hortons drive through...Only in Canada :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.