:p

sparkleytone
Dec 7, 2002, 12:31 AM
sorry to see ya go...

whats the reserve on the tower?

axiom242
Dec 7, 2002, 02:04 AM
reserve on the G4 is $925

love to stay with mac os x but the hardware is falling behind for video/compositing. No high end video card for macs (3d labs wildcat or ati fire) + to build my own dual amd system is just so much cheaper ($1600-1800) than to buy a high end mac ($3000+). I also think the dual G4 1.25 ghz is really an overclocked dual 1 ghz.

OS X on AMD please apple! I'll switch back again

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by axiom242
reserve on the G4 is $925

love to stay with mac os x but the hardware is falling behind for video/compositing. No high end video card for macs (3d labs wildcat or ati fire) + to build my own dual amd system is just so much cheaper ($1600-1800) than to buy a high end mac ($3000+). I also think the dual G4 1.25 ghz is really an overclocked dual 1 ghz.

OS X on AMD please apple! I'll switch back again

Why would you think it's an overclocked 1GHz? The thing is stamped 1.25 by Motorola.

axiom242
Dec 7, 2002, 02:24 AM
cause the heat sink is bigger than my house. I'm no expert though.

Sun Baked
Dec 7, 2002, 06:54 AM
Maybe it's time to buy a bigger house, or at least move into a bigger box.

Falleron
Dec 7, 2002, 07:36 AM
I have to use PC's a lot + the hassle of keeping them running is just too much trouble. I think you should give the mac another go! It will be little things that will mean it takes a lot longer to complete tasks. You may not notice this but it will amount up to a lot more time wasted than if you were to stick with OSX + a new render takes you an extra second.

Plus, XP has many incompatibilities + if you change your hardware then you have to re-register the stupid piece of software. I'm sorry, that is really annoying for me when you need to change components on a computer. PLUS, it looks like a fisher price set!

Just my opinion though. I can see where you are coming from, but, I think that you will be happier with a Mac in the long run (+ no apple wont go to a AMD). However, wait until the new IBM 970 comes to the Mac + you will wish you had waited!! I think it will be here sooner than late 2003.

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 10:16 AM

There is absolutely no reason for the size of heatsink they have. The consensus on this is they were supposed to have a much faster cpu in these towers and the production crapped out on them so they had to stick the 7455 back in it. By the time they did Motorola had enough of 7455s of the new a revision testing at 1.25GHz to sell. So basically Apple lucked out and was able to produce a small speedbump. This could also explain the delay in releasing the new towers and the extended delay in releasing the 1.25GHz towers.

Like I said before they are stamped 1250MHz by Motorola so they are not overclocked. Besides overclocking is a term that describes an end users actions and can not describe a manufacturers actions. If a manufacturer tested the chip at a faster speed they would sell it at a faster speed.

sparkleytone
Dec 7, 2002, 10:42 AM
strictly speaking, its not an overclocked processor because its sold as 1.25GHz

practically speaking, it definitely IS an overclocked processor. its the same core and rev as the others, which are only specced to 1GHz. Any modifications done to them to run higher were done in house at Apple and not Motorola. Essentially its just a higher multiplier and bus speed. The 1.25's are just the processors that test stable.

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
strictly speaking, its not an overclocked processor because its sold as 1.25GHz

practically speaking, it definitely IS an overclocked processor. its the same core and rev as the others, which are only specced to 1GHz. Any modifications done to them to run higher were done in house at Apple and not Motorola. Essentially its just a higher multiplier and bus speed. The 1.25's are just the processors that test stable.

If Apple did the mods then how come it's stamped at 1250 by Motorola? Also why is it a new revision? The original 7455s were just stamped 7455. The one in the Dual 1.25 G4 is stamped 7455a.

Besides the specs that a processor manufacturor puts on a new processor just show the theoretical cap on MHz. In actual testing the processor could max out faster or slower then that.

teabgs
Dec 7, 2002, 12:30 PM
If its not too late, I edit video and do 3D animation as well as a lot of Photoshop work on my computer. I have a dual 1.25 and it runs very VERY well. I'm more then happy with it.

AT work we have dual 1.2 Athlons. My machine outperforms them in most cases. Switching windows in Maya takes about a fraction of a second longer on my machine.....so, yeah the Athlon wins with the mundane tasks like that.

HOWEVER, Binding a lattice to a Joint is faster on mine....Mine handles more polys better...

Both computers are basically the same setup except that mine is a dual G4 and the other is a Dual Athlon.

The heavy tasks are better handled on my machine.

And you don't have it crap out on you and have to restart all the time on a mac like you do with PC's.

stick with the mac man...

springscansing
Dec 7, 2002, 01:22 PM
AAhh, what does he know anyway. He plays Medal of Honour. All the cool people are playing Ghost Recon, hehe.

springscansing
Dec 7, 2002, 01:24 PM
Seriously though, if a new dual 1.25ghz G4 isn't fast enough for you, you're insane. Sure a dual athlon 2600 is faster, and by quite a bit, but I donno if its worth the usability sacrifice. The time spenting configuring and rebooting and fixing things needs to be taken into account when figuring out overall speed too.