PDA

View Full Version : ibook laggy volume control buttons

steelfist
Oct 8, 2005, 10:37 AM
a weird issue, but i have gotten this problem since i have gotten my new ibook. when i press the volume down/up controls, it keeps on making a ticking sound, and goes up or down at a rate of 1 dash per two seconds! sometimes it's as responsive as it should be, and other times, it lags like this! it ussually happens on battery mode. what is wrong with my ibook? :mad:

shadowmoses
Oct 8, 2005, 11:32 AM
Nothing is wrong with your iBook that is standard behaviour with most mac's maybe try boosting the RAM if it really bothers you...but saying that even my iBook with a gig of RAM still lags with the volume control when i am in battery saver mode.....So nothing wrong with your iBook, just enjoy it,

Shadow

wongulous
Oct 8, 2005, 12:38 PM
It's not a hardware feature. It's a function key, and OS X has a system feature to map that Fkey to lowering or raising the volume. If you have a slow iBook, or if you have a lot of apps open or a lot of stuff going on, it might not be immediate, just like anything else. On my 1.2GHz G4 iBook, with 768MB, I find that sometimes if I have 7-10+ apps open and I'm doing anything processor-intensive, that it'll be intermittent: sometimes it'll take a few more microseconds to engage mute or lower/raise the volume, etc. Welcome to the world of ... Preemptive Multi-tasking!!!! :D

Dreadnought
Oct 8, 2005, 04:00 PM
I have the same with my iBook G3 700 mhz and 256 mb Ram. It's probably normal if even the new ones have the same problem. It's the most laggy with processor intensive tasks; a movie or calling someone with Skype. For the rest it surprises me how responsive this thing is. I also have a dual G5, but since I have the iBook, I use that a lot more!

NATO
Oct 9, 2005, 11:50 AM
I believe this to be an issue with 10.4 Tiger, as when I had 10.3 Panther installed on my Powerbook, the volume controls were instantaneous. However, since upgrading I occasionally notice the problem you have mentioned. I hope its ironed out with 10.4.3

steelfist
Nov 1, 2005, 05:40 AM
now that i installed 10.4.3, i can confirm that.....it dosen't help! :mad:

Vster
Nov 1, 2005, 06:14 AM
I don't think its a RAM issue or having too many apps open. I have a 1.33 Ghz iBook with 1.5 GB RAM and if I'm turing up the volume with just Safari open it happens almost every time. And what is really bothersome is that it makes a strange noise as steelfist said. Oh yeah, it also happens with my wife's.

steelfist
Jan 11, 2006, 12:59 AM
apparently 10.4.4 dosen't fix this either :mad:.

an annoying way to fix this is that it will be normal and responsive if the speakers are being used, like while playing a movie or listening to music. so i need some program that generates inaudible noise to make the volume adjustment smooth.