PDA

View Full Version : Considering a G3 IBook 800 or 900MHZ

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 8, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hola,

I found a 900MHz iBook G3 for 600.00 and an 800MHz model for 400.00.

Basically I need portability, Photoshop, iTunes, Quicktime Pro, iMovie, Office apps, and a few games (like Call of Duty on the lowest settings, or something 2D).

Any opinions on these G3's? Should I spend a few hundred more for a new iBook G4?

Thank you.

macbaseball
Oct 8, 2005, 01:42 PM
Hola,

I found a 900MHz iBook G3 for 600.00 and an 800MHz model for 400.00.

Basically I need portability, Photoshop, iTunes, Quicktime Pro, iMovie, Office apps, and a few games (like Call of Duty on the lowest settings, or something 2D).

Any opinions on these G3's? Should I spend a few hundred more for a new iBook G4?

Thank you.

Go for the Apple Refurb for $699. Those two G3 had tons of logic board problems, so I wouldn't bother.

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 8, 2005, 02:10 PM
Any logic board problems with a 700MHz iBook G3? I previously owned a 500MHz iBook, albeit a bit slow, it got the job done. No games, except 2D ones, but the machine handled Photoshop fine.

pags
Oct 8, 2005, 03:09 PM
I had an 800 that had big logic board problems that finally killed it. Also the G3 processor would not handle editing features on iPhoto 5. Makes me wonder if Photoshop would also be crippled. I agree with the prior poster--get a G4 from the Apple store refurb store. More bang for the buck and 1 year Apple warranty.

aquajet
Oct 8, 2005, 04:07 PM
Should I spend a few hundred more for a new iBook G4?

You don't even have to pay that much. There is an 800mhz 12" iBook G4 on the Apple refurb page for $649 as I write this.

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 8, 2005, 05:41 PM
You don't even have to pay that much. There is an 800mhz 12" iBook G4 on the Apple refurb page for $649 as I write this.

Not a bad price. I had a 733MHz G4 Power Mac for a couple years, not a bad processor. So the 800MHz will be a bit faster, que padre. :cool:

RoxStrongo
Oct 8, 2005, 05:54 PM
i own the 800mhz version and yes i have had my logic board replaced. it is fine for photoshop and most other design apps. it doesnt like flash but i think that is something that can be applied to all g3. games are a pretty big no no, not anything released in last 2 years. i have had my machine almost 3 years now and it has done me well but in all honesty for processor intensive stuff its just not worth it. spend a little more and get a machine that does what u want.

eXan
Oct 8, 2005, 06:30 PM
Not a bad price. I had a 733MHz G4 Power Mac for a couple years, not a bad processor. So the 800MHz will be a bit faster, que padre. :cool:

Not really. iBook's HD is so much slower than Power Mac's, so this 67 MHz difference will mean nothing and Power Mac win in competition :D

Alasta
Oct 8, 2005, 06:38 PM
i own the 800mhz version and yes i have had my logic board replaced. it is fine for photoshop and most other design apps. it doesnt like flash but i think that is something that can be applied to all g3. games are a pretty big no no, not anything released in last 2 years. i have had my machine almost 3 years now and it has done me well but in all honesty for processor intensive stuff its just not worth it. spend a little more and get a machine that does what u want.

I'm pretty much in the same position. My G3 800MHz has served me well over the last three years, but the G3 processor is seriously long in the tooth, and I wouldn't recommend buying one for anything beyond basic Internet, music and spreadsheet/word processing applications.

If you do end up buying one, make sure you obtain some evidence of the logic board having been replaced. I had mine replaced a year ago and I have had absolutely no problems since, but buying a G3 iBook which hasn't had a logic board replacement would be a risky business.

panda
Oct 8, 2005, 07:23 PM
new one i would suggest...

fast(er), bt, airport, big(ger) hd, brighter screen, 1 yr apple care, tiger, ilife....

i think the extra bucks are definately worth it. :)

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 9, 2005, 01:01 PM
Thank you for the replies! Reading the Apple Support Forums and seeing recent threads in MacRumors about failing 800MHz iBooks has conviced me to go the iBook G4 route. Okay, now the wait for October 12th. No, I am not waiting for the "One more thing" hype. I get paid a fat chunk of change on the 12th. :D

csubear
Oct 9, 2005, 01:29 PM
I had a 900Mhz G3 ibook. While i though that it was the coolest thing at the time, I don't know if I could go back to it now.

I too had the logic board replaced,nearly two years ago now. When i got my powerbook i gave the ibook to my sister-inlaw. She's had it for about a year, and now again the logic board needs replaced >_<.

In short. Don't buy an ibook G3. There way old, and are a crap shoot when it comes to quality. And just because the logic board's been replaced doesn't mean it will be okay.