PDA

View Full Version : iPad 5 to Be 'Thinner and Lighter' Using iPad Mini Screen Technology

MacRumors
Feb 1, 2013, 08:30 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/01/ipad-5-to-be-thinner-and-lighter-using-ipad-mini-screen-technology/)

While a prediction that the next-generation iPad will be thinner and lighter than the current one may not seem an overly ambitious one, Digitimes claims to have details (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130131PD212.html), suggesting that the iPad 5 will borrow the G/F2 (DITO) thin-film type touch screen technology used on the iPad mini.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/ipad5.jpeg
Digitimes cited an un-named industry source as reporting that the screens would use a similar mix of suppliers to the iPad mini screen.The supply chain for Apple's next-generation 9.7-inch iPad will be similar to the iPad mini's, with Japan-based Nitto expected to supply thin-film materials and Nissha Printing touch screen modules, noted the sources. Taiwan-based TPK will be responsible for the device's lamination while LG Display (LGD) and Sharp will provide panels.The DITO thin-film technology is believed to have been behind supply constraints on the iPad mini, but these issues have now been solved, claims Digitimes.

Just last week, iLounge shared details (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/25/ipad-5-set-for-october-debut-with-design-similar-to-ipad-mini-iphone-5s-and-lower-cost-iphone-moving-forward/) on the fifth-generation iPad, noting that it would be smaller in every dimension than the current model and suggesting that a change to the display technology would be necessary to achieve that reduction.

Article Link: iPad 5 to Be 'Thinner and Lighter' Using iPad Mini Screen Technology (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/01/ipad-5-to-be-thinner-and-lighter-using-ipad-mini-screen-technology/)

GoCubsGo
Feb 1, 2013, 08:32 AM
Part of that "technology" they may adopt from the mini sure as hell better include retina or the mob will rage. :D

peteullo
Feb 1, 2013, 08:40 AM
Part of that "technology" they may adopt from the mini sure as hell better include retina or the mob will rage. :D

I highly doubt they would backtrack on something like that.

Baklava
Feb 1, 2013, 08:40 AM
Release in March, pretty sure. Together with iPad mini 2nd Gen.

Dwalls90
Feb 1, 2013, 08:42 AM
"Thinner and lighter" ...

nep61
Feb 1, 2013, 08:45 AM
'Thinner and Lighter'

This is the same story every month.... "The next Apple device, no matter which one we speak of will be..... WAIT FOR IT !!!!...... 'Thinner and Lighter'

We can all rest easy now, knowing what the future holds for us

charlieegan3
Feb 1, 2013, 08:48 AM
Lighter I could use, thinner though? If they do go with thinner lets just hope that they don't wreck something else (heat dissipation).

wizard
Feb 1, 2013, 08:48 AM
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! Who here would of thought that Apple of all companies would try to make something thinner.

BornAgainApple
Feb 1, 2013, 08:49 AM
duh...

furi0usbee
Feb 1, 2013, 08:51 AM

iPad is already retina.

Codyak
Feb 1, 2013, 08:51 AM
Just release the iPad Mini with Retina and I'll be happy. :D

crackbookpro
Feb 1, 2013, 08:52 AM
In-cell technology is coming for most iOS devices... purchasing items via a Thumb will be where it's at!!! :cool:

blast87
Feb 1, 2013, 08:52 AM
So does that mean it wont be IGZO? When is IGZO coming, they've been talking about this technology for so long and has yet to be put into any devices

iMacFarlane
Feb 1, 2013, 08:53 AM
Hmm. Interesting. And in a related news report, Antarctica is a little cold this time of year.

furi0usbee
Feb 1, 2013, 08:54 AM
Lighter I could use, thinner though? If they do go with thinner lets just hope that they don't wreck something else (heat dissipation).

At some point you reach too thin. Do I want a device I can bend in my hand or feels cheap? Not really. My retina MBP is thin. How much thinner do I want that?

Thin + solid is one thing. But for the most part, these things are thin and hollow. Devices need to be usable and durable too.

ghettochris
Feb 1, 2013, 08:54 AM
Hmm. Interesting. And in a related news report, Antarctica is a little cold this time of year.

it's the middle of summer there! (still cold though)

Chuck-Norris
Feb 1, 2013, 08:55 AM
i havent been keepingup to date with rumors lately but will we see a new mini or ipad in march or something?

Computer1603
Feb 1, 2013, 08:56 AM
Hope for it :D

Xenomorph
Feb 1, 2013, 08:56 AM
'Thinner and Lighter'

This is the same story every month.... "The next Apple device, no matter which one we speak of will be..... WAIT FOR IT !!!!...... 'Thinner and Lighter'

The iPad 3 & 4 went with a more bulkier, heavier design.

iPad 2: 8.8 mm thick, 601 grams weight

iPad 3/4: 9.4 mm thick, 652 grams weight

So they certainly could make the iPad 5 "thinner and lighter" - and put it back at the iPad 2's specs.

jclardy
Feb 1, 2013, 08:59 AM

iPad 2 thinness was the best IMO. The difference between it and the 3rd gen was small, but noticeable.

But it would take a lot to sway me from iPad mini now.

iMacFarlane
Feb 1, 2013, 09:01 AM

Yeah, that was kind of . . . . always cold . . . . so . . . .

Virtualball
Feb 1, 2013, 09:01 AM
'Thinner and Lighter'

Except for the fact that the third iPad was thicker and heaver than the iPad 2. :rolleyes:

Nitrocide
Feb 1, 2013, 09:05 AM
'Thinner and Lighter'

However the iPad 3 was thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, just sayin!

----------

Except for the fact that the third iPad was thicker and heaver than the iPad 2. :rolleyes:

Aw man beat me to it :p

bushido
Feb 1, 2013, 09:07 AM
Release in March, pretty sure. Together with iPad mini 2nd Gen.

doubt it. first we'll get an iPad 4 with 128GB next month and a iOS7 introduction somewhere around may followed by the "all new" iPad in the fall including the final iOS 7

AustinIllini
Feb 1, 2013, 09:07 AM
'Thinner and Lighter'

I seriously am getting tired of this garbage from Apple. I love my iPad, don't get me wrong, but the iPad 5 needs to do something revolutionary.

Bathplug
Feb 1, 2013, 09:12 AM
Glad I didn't buy the ipad 4. The ipad 5 will no doubt see an all new re design. iPad 4 owners will feel more burned than the ipad 3 owners did after apple announced the ipad 4.

ifij775
Feb 1, 2013, 09:18 AM
Digitimes cited an [...] industry source, Captain Obvious, as reporting that the screens would use a similar mix of suppliers to the iPad mini screen....

#fixed

GoCubsGo
Feb 1, 2013, 09:18 AM
iPad is already retina.

Read it again. Adopting tech from the mini best not include dropping retina.

Baklava
Feb 1, 2013, 09:20 AM
first we'll get an iPad 4 with 128GB next month and a iOS7 introduction somewhere around may followed by the "all new" iPad in the fall including the final iOS 7
I can bet that there will be no iPad 4th Gen. w/ 128 GB. The 5th will be the first to offer this storage.

Xiroteus
Feb 1, 2013, 09:21 AM
I seriously am getting tired of this garbage from Apple. I love my iPad, don't get me wrong, but the iPad 5 needs to do something revolutionary.

There has to be a point where any thinner and it just becomes pointless, lighter and more powerful, of course, something can only get so thin where it will start to be uncomfortable to hold.

romanhdz
Feb 1, 2013, 09:32 AM

Like what? What does the iPad need so desperately? It's a tablet; It has a (damn good) screen, cameras, a processor, storage, and RAM. This device has only been on the market for 3 years. Saying that it needs a revolutionary change implies that the iPad is failing -- which we all know is not the case.

jrswizzle
Feb 1, 2013, 09:43 AM
This is great - not only is the mini's screen better quality because of a more dense ppi compared to the iPad 2 - this thinner lamination process allows for a clearer brighter, more accurate picture as well.

See iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 4S - same ppi, much different display quality.

The whole "thinner, lighter" thing is simply an added bonus imo.

----------

I can bet that there will be no iPad 4th Gen. w/ 128 GB. The 5th will be the first to offer this storage.

Have you missed all of the reports saying the 128 gb iPad will be released on Feb. 5th? no way that's a 5th gen.....

AustinIllini
Feb 1, 2013, 10:15 AM
Like what? What does the iPad need so desperately? It's a tablet; It has a (damn good) screen, cameras, a processor, storage, and RAM. This device has only been on the market for 3 years. Saying that it needs a revolutionary change implies that the iPad is failing -- which we all know is not the case.

There has to be a point where any thinner and it just becomes pointless, lighter and more powerful, of course, something can only get so thin where it will start to be uncomfortable to hold.

What Xiroteus said is mostly how I feel. I don't want it to be thin, I want a file structure, airdrop, etc. It just annoys me that Apple markets "thin" as huge selling point. It's not anymore.

bushido
Feb 1, 2013, 10:31 AM

and i bet against it. iPad 4 with 128GB coming in 4 days

What Xiroteus said is mostly how I feel. I don't want it to be thin, I want a file structure, airdrop, etc. It just annoys me that Apple markets "thin" as huge selling point. It's not anymore.
a file system on an apple device? ull see ms selling a million surfaces before apple implements a filesystem. its against anything they stand for. they dont want u to look at "files" videos r supposed to simply play on an dedicated app like iTunes. they want files to "just work"

AustinIllini
Feb 1, 2013, 10:41 AM
and i bet against it. iPad 4 with 128GB coming in 4 days

a file system on an apple device? ull see ms selling a million surfaces before apple implements a filesystem. its against anything they stand for. they dont want u to look at "files" videos r supposed to simply play on an dedicated app like iTunes. they want files to "just work"

It's too bad that they at least don't have stacks. I don't need it to be complicated, but stacks are the most useful thing on the mac and it would be awesome on the iPad. Just click a stack, select the file and it "Just works".

Rogifan
Feb 1, 2013, 10:55 AM

What does this have to do with what your iPad does? Does making the device thinner and lighter stop it from doing something else? How often do we get rumors/scoops on new software features anyway?

danpass
Feb 1, 2013, 10:56 AM
'Thinner and Lighter'

yeah, lol.

I'm still waiting for the Red Planet roll-up voice control display:

http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content07/red-planet-map-display.jpg

Rogifan
Feb 1, 2013, 10:58 AM
iPad mini stats prove it is a selling point. And how does making the iPad thinner and lighter prevent it from offering new/different software features?

MonkeySee....
Feb 1, 2013, 10:59 AM
If its thinner and lighter and has the form factor of the Mini i'll be all over it :)

Doesn't bother me too much but the current iPad is heavy.

AustinIllini
Feb 1, 2013, 11:11 AM
iPad mini stats prove it is a selling point. And how does making the iPad thinner and lighter prevent it from offering new/different software features?

iPad mini proves that people wanted an 7-8 inch iPad. That was the selling point. Let's just say I have my doubts about Apple really doing anything new with the next iPad. I fully expect us all to be disappointed.

MoreAwesomeDanU
Feb 1, 2013, 11:18 AM
wait what, I thought the next ipad was gonna be heavier and thicker!! WOW.

Thank god for these sources leaking such amazing, informative info about the next ipad. I would be completely in the dark otherwise

shartypants
Feb 1, 2013, 11:39 AM
I just want lighter, don't really care if its thinner, but I guess with one you get the other.

sulpfiction
Feb 1, 2013, 11:40 AM
At some point you reach too thin. Do I want a device I can bend in my hand or feels cheap? Not really. My retina MBP is thin. How much thinner do I want that?

Thin + solid is one thing. But for the most part, these things are thin and hollow. Devices need to be usable and durable too.

The iPad can afford to be thinner. An iPad mini profile would be perfect on the full size. After holding the mini, my iPad 3 feels bulky and heavy.

dampfnudel
Feb 1, 2013, 12:37 PM
Glad I didn't buy the ipad 4. The ipad 5 will no doubt see an all new re design. iPad 4 owners will feel more burned than the ipad 3 owners did after apple announced the ipad 4.

Anyone who purchased an iPad 4 should've known better, knowing that the iPad 4 wasn't much different from the first 3 versions. I think some iPhone 5 owners will also feel burned if Apple decides to release an iPhone with a larger display this year, something that may be necessary to turn around Apple's plunging stock.

BRO,RUMAD?
Feb 1, 2013, 12:56 PM
Wait a minute. If this is going to use the iPad mini's screen technology, then does that mean the resolution will go down to 1024X768?!?!?! :eek: :D

/s /s /s

mrsir2009
Feb 1, 2013, 02:12 PM
Just what we need...

olowott
Feb 1, 2013, 03:35 PM
This is the one im waiting for, upgrade from my lovely ipad2 :D

TXCherokee
Feb 1, 2013, 03:42 PM
Anyone who purchased an iPad 4 should've known better, knowing that the iPad 4 wasn't much different from the first 3 versions. I think some iPhone 5 owners will also feel burned if Apple decides to release an iPhone with a larger display this year, something that may be necessary to turn around Apple's plunging stock.

I don't understand this mentality. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 4. I feel no remorse and won't think any less of these products even if the next generations are much better, faster, lighter, etc. If you have to have the lastest Apple item to vindicate your exisstance or make yourself happy you may want to examine your priorities. #firstworldproblems

Besides, Apple is THE luxury product with great resale value. Upgrading is not that cost prohibitive if the next gen is truly a must have. ;)

canman4PM
Feb 1, 2013, 04:47 PM
yeah, lol.

I'm still waiting for the Red Planet roll-up voice control display:

Image (http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content07/red-planet-map-display.jpg)

Somebody missed a HUGE product placement opportunity there.

Navdakilla
Feb 1, 2013, 04:57 PM
When is the iOS 6 preview going to go down.. that's what I'm intrigued about!

Drunken Master
Feb 1, 2013, 05:28 PM

Ladies and gents, the new breed of spoiled brats.

mrsir2009
Feb 1, 2013, 05:53 PM
What does this have to do with what your iPad does? Does making the device thinner and lighter stop it from doing something else? How often do we get rumors/scoops on new software features anyway?

They could improve the battery life if they didn't make it any thinner :)

GreatDrok
Feb 1, 2013, 06:48 PM
iPad 5 gains mini style case but bigger and uses the same tech as the mini but with retina as a differentiator. Apple will drop the iPad 2 and use the iPad mini as the entry model and the full size with retina but the look of the mini as the high end model. Maybe they'll bring the entry level iPad 5 price down to fill the gap a bit now that there is a 128GB full size model. Still doubt the mini will get retina in the near term due to power requirements and a more mini like iPad 5 negates the need since those who want retina can get it with a tablet that is significantly smaller than the iPad 4.

macs4nw
Feb 1, 2013, 07:01 PM

iMacFarlane didn't quite think that through, did he...LOL

I know this doesn't qualify as revolutionary, but IGZO is rumored to come. Not sure if NFC, fingerprint recognition, etc. will ever come to the iPad, but at this stage, incremental improvements such as CPU/GPU performance, weight and bezel size reductions, increased battery life and camera improvements is the best we can hope for and could be very worthwhile! A price re-alignment (reduction) for that new 128GB version would be nice.

hsotnicam8002
Feb 1, 2013, 09:52 PM
That extra 64GB in the 128GB will add such an enormous extra weight I'm wondering whether to stick to my 64GB. ;) Though if it makes Safari snappier it might be worth the sacrifice. :D

xdhd350
Feb 2, 2013, 12:24 AM
The one thing Apple is making thinner and lighter as of late is my retirement account balance. :eek:

hleewell
Feb 2, 2013, 03:23 AM
That extra 64GB in the 128GB will add such an enormous extra weight I'm wondering whether to stick to my 64GB. ;) Though if it makes Safari snappier it might be worth the sacrifice. :D

I have iPhone 5 with 16GB memory for 1 month. I can assure you it is faster than my 64GB iPad. The 128 GB iPad is great for people with humongous media files. Content creation people who need to show their HD video clips to clients etc.

AustinIllini
Feb 2, 2013, 07:54 AM
Ladies and gents, the new breed of spoiled brats.

You don't get tired of Apple having these ridiculously overblown press conferences so they can announce the new generation iPad with no notable software improvements, a new, thinner doc connector, and a faster processor? Now Sharp is reporting an almost complete stoppage of production of full size iPad screens and everyone seems so surprised.

Also, does it make you feel big to make baseless claims? Most of us here buy Apple products with our owned hard earned money. Nothing about that is spoiled.

Rogifan
Feb 2, 2013, 08:23 AM
iPad mini proves that people wanted an 7-8 inch iPad. That was the selling point. Let's just say I have my doubts about Apple really doing anything new with the next iPad. I fully expect us all to be disappointed.

If the iPad mini has been thick and heavy like iPad 4 you think it would have sold as well? In practically every review I read one of the first things "pros" mentioned was how thin and light the mini was. I think that's a big selling feature, especially when coupled with great battey life.

twoodcc
Feb 2, 2013, 11:21 PM
sounds great. the question is when will it ship?

Redjericho
Feb 2, 2013, 11:38 PM

I hope by 'revolutionary' you mean 'thinner and lighter'!

mrsir2009
Feb 3, 2013, 12:16 AM
I hope by 'revolutionary' you mean 'thinner and lighter'!

By revolutionary he means ‘reinvent the rectangle’ ;)

dazed
Feb 3, 2013, 02:58 PM
You don't get tired of Apple having these ridiculously overblown press conferences so they can announce the new generation iPad with no notable software improvements, a new, thinner doc connector, and a faster processor? Now Sharp is reporting an almost complete stoppage of production of full size iPad screens and everyone seems so surprised.

Also, does it make you feel big to make baseless claims? Most of us here buy Apple products with our owned hard earned money. Nothing about that is spoiled.

Exactly. Thinner and lighter wont save the stock price. They need to do something revolutionary. Their announcements are becoming dull and predictable. That IOS 6 demo Forstall did was a new low, even he looked bored.

I don't need to see a slideshow of how many iPads were sold. Save that for the Financial statements. Just show me something that will make me give you my credit card.

A Hebrew
Feb 3, 2013, 03:31 PM
Exactly. Thinner and lighter wont save the stock price. They need to do something revolutionary. Their announcements are becoming dull and predictable. That IOS 6 demo Forstall did was a new low, even he looked bored.

I don't need to see a slideshow of how many iPads were sold. Save that for the Financial statements. Just show me something that will make me give you my credit card.

Because 3 years and only adding retina, state of the art processors, a light tablet, an amazing battery life, and 2 cameras is just not cutting it.

And of course iOS is going to die too..I mean come on Apple get your act together.

Xiroteus
Feb 4, 2013, 01:53 AM
Because 3 years and only adding retina, state of the art processors, a light tablet, an amazing battery life, and 2 cameras is just not cutting it.

And of course iOS is going to die too..I mean come on Apple get your act together.

The only real thing I will fault them with is being slow to add features that should be a given just to hold out for the next model. Aside from that I am not sure what they are really suppose to do, in the past people had the same basic cell phone for years without much changing, I know the times have changed, coming up with revolutionary advancements each year is not something that is likely to happen.

It seems the tech world is mostly stuck in tech bumps at the moment and it may stay that way for awhile longer.

Nicolashcristai
Feb 6, 2013, 05:25 AM