PDA

View Full Version : Steam Founder Gabe Newell Says Apple Could Be Biggest Player in Games Market

MacRumors
Feb 1, 2013, 09:06 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/01/steam-founder-gabe-newell-says-apple-could-be-biggest-player-in-games-market/)

Apple is better placed than Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo to take a lead in the games console market, said Gabe Newell, founder of the games-distribution hub Steam (http://store.steampowered.com) in a speech at the University of Texas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/newell.jpg
As noted by Polygon (http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3934112/gabe-newell-steam-boxs-biggest-threat-isnt-consoles-its-apple), Newell argued that games served from a PC in the home direct to a TV, rather than from a games console, are the future of the market. But if the PC industry does not move quickly enough to establish itself in the living room, Newell sees an opportunity for Apple to seize the market."The threat right now is that Apple has gained a huge amount of market share, and has a relatively obvious pathway towards entering the living room with their platform," Newell said. "I think that there's a scenario where we see sort of a dumbed down living room platform emerging -- I think Apple rolls the console guys really easily. The question is can we make enough progress in the PC space to establish ourselves there, and also figure out better ways of addressing mobile before Apple takes over the living room?"t8QEOBgLBQU
Newell's full one-hour session
While Apple has not made any noises about a fresh entry into the games market, it did file patents for a Wii-style wireless controller (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/08/apple-developing-wiimote-like-controller/) back in 2008, and has been rumored to be working on a gesture-based user interface for the Apple television set which has obvious potential gaming applications.

Article Link: Steam Founder Gabe Newell Says Apple Could Be Biggest Player in Games Market (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/01/steam-founder-gabe-newell-says-apple-could-be-biggest-player-in-games-market/)

mw360
Feb 1, 2013, 09:09 AM
Please no. Gaming is something Apple don't get. I don't want a console that has a featureless black sphere as its only controller. Some things are meant to be complex.

JaySoul
Feb 1, 2013, 09:10 AM
Apple could definitely do it, but they need to get a move on.

madeirabhoy
Feb 1, 2013, 09:16 AM
arent steam themselves intending to make a play for this market, with their steam lead modified pc box supposedly in the works

whooleytoo
Feb 1, 2013, 09:16 AM
iOS became a huge gaming platform almost in spite of Apple (their apathy, or even antipathy towards gaming).

But pretty soon some bright spark in the company is going to realise an iPad 3/iPhone 4 is a fine tablet for the vast majority of tasks and people don't necessarily need to upgrade to an iPhone 5/6.. or an iPad 4/5.. Changing the style of the case helps, but you'll only get so many sales from people wanting a shiny new design.

Once any kind of market saturation is reached, repeat sales become all important, and gaming performance is a great reason to get people to upgrade.

The iOS gaming model (lots of games playable across phone, tablet and now perhaps TV; games costing from free or less than €1 up to €10) could very well blow the other gaming platforms out of the water.

charlieegan3
Feb 1, 2013, 09:17 AM
this story combined with this: http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/02/01/0245208/microsoft-phases-out-xna-and-directx

could mean big change for gaming as we know it.

Baklava
Feb 1, 2013, 09:17 AM
Apple & Gaming: no... but partnering w/ Sony or Microsoft or even both to include their next generation consoles into an upcoming Apple TV: yes... and don't say I am crazy. Multiple set-ut-boxes, consoles, players, etc... This is crazy. Todays technology is more and more about merging multiple gadgets into a single one. And I see the upcoming Apple TV as a big opportunity. Maybe not with the first generations but if this device happens, it will be a multi-tasking-monster.

rmwebs
Feb 1, 2013, 09:20 AM
I hope not.

This is one thing Microsoft do very well. I love my good ol' 360. Had it since 2005 and its quite remarkable that 8 years on, games like LA Noire with its advanced graphics can look and work so well.

Apple would be pissing around trying to eliminate the controller - we like the controller as it is thank you very much.

Northgrove
Feb 1, 2013, 09:21 AM
Sounds likely indeed. I mean, that they'll enter this market soon, not sure if they'll dominate it. But iOS, together with Android, already has a majority share of mobile gaming, so it's not that Apple has presented a poor or unpopular gaming platform.

If Apple enters the game console business, I think it will be simply by enabling third party apps in either the Apple TV or a TV set (or both) and presenting some gaming partners on a keynote. Besides a new controller in the Apple Store, that's actually all they would need to do. They already have the platform with Game Center and iCloud.

Actually, if you consider AirPlay gaming on TV, it can be argued that they're almost already there and just need a dedicated controller better suited for improved accuracy.

rmwebs
Feb 1, 2013, 09:21 AM
Apple & Gaming: no... but partnering w/ Sony or Microsoft or even both to include their next generation consoles into an upcoming Apple TV: yes... and don't say I am crazy. Multiple set-ut-boxes, consoles, players, etc... This is crazy. Todays technology is more and more about merging multiple gadgets into a single one. And I see the upcoming Apple TV as a big opportunity. Maybe not with the first generations but if this device happens, it will be a multi-tasking-monster.

You're crazy :P

Seriously though. Apple partnering up with Microsoft on a piece of hardware? I dont see that ever happening.

vebs
Feb 1, 2013, 09:23 AM
What Apple has the potential to do is to capitalise on the same market exposed by the original Wii; not graphically intensive games, but there's plenty of scope for developers to make fun, enjoyable, family oriented games in the living room space. The technology seems to already be good enough on the iOS platform.

rmwebs
Feb 1, 2013, 09:23 AM
Sounds likely indeed. I mean, that they'll enter this market soon, not sure if they'll dominate it. But iOS, together with Android, already has a majority share of mobile gaming, so it's not that Apple has presented a poor or unpopular gaming platform.

Theres the issue though. It's mobile gaming. Console gaming is a whole different ball game. You cant get an ARM CPU+GPU combination powerful enough (YET) to do this. Without it producing some pretty low-power games. We've all seen the ****** attempts at the likes of Call of Duty on ARM.

I cant see it being a sudden change that ARM becomes powerful enough for a console that needs to be more powerful than todays MacBook Pros - as thats whats needed of the 'next gen' consoles.

Torrijos
Feb 1, 2013, 09:24 AM
The thing is I don't see consoles getting to much further...

Next generation are going to be (it seems we'll see Sony's announcement the 20th) like current PCs, which are a great deal more powerful that Apple iDevices... But for how much longer?

At one point or another phones and tablets are going to be powerful enough to offer great quality visuals even on big screens TVs (right now they use a lot less polygons so mobile devices games look rough or simpler), and since people will carry changing phones every 2-4 years (way faster than we change game consoles), they'll probably end up being the primary gaming platform.

For convenience we'll have bluetooth controllers and the mobile device will serve as a rendering / calculating station that will stream the resulting images to the TV (airplay + AppleTV).

Running the apps directly on the AppleTV can be done but it would just add another target for the developers, and another device to change for the users, but if its just a stream receiver, the users gets all the benefices after a mobile device upgrade (that is expected of him every couple of years) directly.

7thson
Feb 1, 2013, 09:26 AM
Weird. I was just thinking 2 weeks ago, " What if Apple bought Nintendo?" It's not gonna happen, but it would be cool if Nintendo would license their franchise games to the iOS platform.

Lixivial
Feb 1, 2013, 09:27 AM
Apple is better placed than Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo to take a lead in the games console market, said Gabe Newell, founder of the games-distribution hub Steam (http://store.steampowered.com) in a speech at the University of Texas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU).

I think it'd be more accurate to say that Gabe Newell is the co-founder of Valve, which operates Steam, rather than as the founder of Steam proper.

rmwebs
Feb 1, 2013, 09:28 AM
Weird. I was just thinking 2 weeks ago, " What if Apple bought Nintendo?" It's not gonna happen, but it would be cool if Nintendo would license their franchise games to the iOS platform.

They'd get a much bigger marketshare if they went with the likes of Ubisoft, EA, Take2/Rockstar, Valve, etc.

Nintendo just dont come across as being anywhere near as strong when it comes to the game portfolio.

Northgrove
Feb 1, 2013, 09:29 AM
Hmm, this got me thinking...

What about an AirPlay-enabled game controller which can have gaming apps installed on it?

If using a touch screen and supporting this glorious haptic technology, it's possible that the respective games could reconfigure the controller "buttons" on the go as they needed for optimal gaming experiences. But perhaps kind of annoying too, having to relearn.

Of course, this could also be pretty much how a future iPhone (or iPod touch) might work, so they don't need a new dedicated device for it.

Wrock
Feb 1, 2013, 09:37 AM
Apple already tried to do a gaming console. It didn't work out so well:
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/multimedia/2008/01/gallery_apple_flops?slide=2

After that, Apple made another attempt at getting people interested in gaming on the Mac by demoing Halo at Macworld. We all know how that turned out too.

Nightarchaon
Feb 1, 2013, 09:43 AM
Bumped up Apple TV with a bit more storage space (64gb ideally), with access to games Via the Appstore and a bluetooth controller, allow the controller to be paired with iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads, which would also run the same games, from the same store,

Buy a game once, and it plays on all your devices, iCloud saves,

Sold, now release it, shut up and take my money !! :D

buddybd
Feb 1, 2013, 09:49 AM
More of a threat to Nintendo if anything. I don't see Apple making hardcore games like those available on the PC, PS3 and 360.

iMacFarlane
Feb 1, 2013, 09:57 AM
The iOS gaming model (lots of games playable across phone, tablet and now perhaps TV; games costing from free or less than €1 up to €10) could very well blow the other gaming platforms out of the water.

And in the process, shift "big" gaming from a trickle of AAA releases each month to a continuous deluge of broken mediocrity.

whooleytoo
Feb 1, 2013, 10:00 AM
And in the process, shift "big" gaming from a trickle of AAA releases each month to a continuous deluge of broken mediocrity.

That's a fair comment based on the current market; but if the masses moved to an iOS (or iOS-like) home gaming solution, the AAA game makers would move too. They'll follow the money. And then we'd see the market evolve too, just as the desktop & console markets evolved over time.

I'm sure we'd start to see the prices creep up as the games became bigger and more complex, but hopefully we'd still have the availability of a huge library of free & cheap games as well.

the8thark
Feb 1, 2013, 10:02 AM
Please no. Gaming is something Apple don't get. I don't want a console that has a featureless black sphere as its only controller. Some things are meant to be complex.

Agreed. But gaming consoles are not one of them. The Wii outsold the competition cause it and it's control system was simple to use. And everyone could have fun on it. And now Apple have it right. Apple make the platform and release the API's and the game devs make the games and touch screen controls. Best of both worlds. The devs can't make the hardware, and Apple can't make the games or gaming UI. Apple in the past sucked at this.

iOS has the potential to be the next king of handheld gaming. If it's cards are played right. This is exactly what has Nintendo worried (ie about it's DS line).

iMacFarlane
Feb 1, 2013, 10:03 AM
After that, Apple made another attempt at getting people interested in gaming on the Mac by demoing Halo at Macworld. We all know how that turned out too.

No, we don't know. Besides the fact that both Apple and the Halo franchise each went on to resounding success, what happened?

ncaissie
Feb 1, 2013, 10:07 AM
Phone games are not even real games. Besides how come they don’t say how many of the “app” downloads are games and how many are fart apps, flashlights, ect.? :rolleyes:

Lone Deranger
Feb 1, 2013, 10:08 AM
this story combined with this: http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/02/01/0245208/microsoft-phases-out-xna-and-directx

could mean big change for gaming as we know it.

False alarm (http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-false-alarm-we-arent-backing-away-from-directx-7000010647/)

rmwebs
Feb 1, 2013, 10:18 AM
Bumped up Apple TV with a bit more storage space (64gb ideally), with access to games Via the Appstore and a bluetooth controller, allow the controller to be paired with iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads, which would also run the same games, from the same store,

Buy a game once, and it plays on all your devices, iCloud saves,

Sold, now release it, shut up and take my money !! :D

yeah and we can all play iOS games (aka mobile games).

The current ARM based hardware is nowhere near powerful for 'real' games. you try running something like Grand Theft Auto, Formula 1 or Far Cry 3 on an iPhone. ;)

uknowimright
Feb 1, 2013, 10:22 AM
guy just needs to shut up and put out HL3

roadbloc
Feb 1, 2013, 10:27 AM
It is possible, but at the moment it appears Apple knows of nothing but casual gaming and are useless for people who want something more than a five minute game of chopping fruit at the bus stop.

They'll need to take gaming a little more seriously to achieve this.

Mitch619
Feb 1, 2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry, but this guy is out of his mind. There is no way apple will enter the gaming industry. I love apple but it's on it's way down already. The iphone is already showing its age and they just can't seem to innovate anymore. Not the way they did with the original iphone. The ipad is a paper weight, and Apple TV can use a lot of work. On the other hand, I love MacBooks! Best laptops around. So, no to gaming. I would be more impressed if they decided to make the ipad useful. They need to kill iOS and put OS11 on the next ipad.

erawsd
Feb 1, 2013, 10:34 AM
They'd get a much bigger marketshare if they went with the likes of Ubisoft, EA, Take2/Rockstar, Valve, etc.

Nintendo just dont come across as being anywhere near as strong when it comes to the game portfolio.

Thats not true at all. The facts are that Nintendo's overall portfolio is one of the strongest in the industry. Much like Apple, they have an insanely huge and fanatic base that'll buy anything they put out. They've got a ton of big name franchises that have been multi-platinum hits for 20 years, and they don't need the half-billion dollar budgets of a game like Battlefield. Companies like EA and Ubisoft are only competitive because they are prolific.

Mitch619
Feb 1, 2013, 10:36 AM
Thats not true at all. The facts are that Nintendo's overall portfolio is one of the strongest in the industry. Much like Apple, they have an insanely huge and fanatic base that'll buy anything they put out. They've got a ton of big name franchises that have been multi-platinum hits for 20 years, and they don't need the half-billion dollar budgets of a game like Battlefield. Companies like EA and Ubisoft are only competitive because they are prolific.

I totally agree. Nintendo has the best games around. None of that black ops ********. Those games are mental masturbation. Nintendo games are just good old fashion fun. Just take a look at the vita. What a waste of good hardware. I'll take the 3ds xl any day over the vita.

Glassed Silver
Feb 1, 2013, 10:36 AM
Please no.

Retro gaming in an Apple world is a tough challenge.
Some years down the road lots of your iOS apps won't even properly open or play anymore, because Apple loves deprecating parts of the OS both on desktop as well as in mobile devices.

I know Window's future is all awkward, but at least it works well for games.
Everything else is gladly done in OS X. ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

MonkeySee....
Feb 1, 2013, 10:43 AM
Phone games are not even real games. Besides how come they don’t say how many of the “app” downloads are games and how many are fart apps, flashlights, ect.? :rolleyes:

I know where you're coming from but this game for example is amazing....

http://static.iphoneitalia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/table-top-racing-3abc.jpeg

Table Top Racing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkRknpaYm2o)

If they can get games like this to Airplay to an Apple TV then things will get very interesting.

Antares
Feb 1, 2013, 10:57 AM
No, we don't know. Besides the fact that both Apple and the Halo franchise each went on to resounding success, what happened?

In terms of Mac gaming, it was. At least back in the late 90's. Halo was set to release on the Mac in 1999/2000. When Microsoft bought Bungie, that prospect ended. Gaming on the Mac was already bleak. With the loss of Bungie, future prospects of Mac gaming seemed even worse....and it was until the turnaround events in the 2000's.

InuNacho
Feb 1, 2013, 10:59 AM

What do you define as a "real game"? There are plenty of iOS games that provide just as much playability as a game on a console or PC. Me and buddy play L4D2 all the time against each other and then compare our Happy Street scores.

------

I could see Apple being on the forefront of gaming, they already got a head start with the App Store, Game Center, Apple TV, Mac Mini. Beef up the Mini, better incorporate Game Center and the App Store for gaming and they're good to go.

whooleytoo
Feb 1, 2013, 11:37 AM

Image (http://static.iphoneitalia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/table-top-racing-3abc.jpeg)

If they can get games like this to Airplay to an Apple TV then things will get very interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up. I love racing games (have most of the other mini-racing games, Mini Motor Racing, Reckless Racing, Death Rally etc.), I'm actually surprised there aren't more of them on the App Store. Downloading this one now.

ncaissie
Feb 1, 2013, 11:39 AM

Image (http://static.iphoneitalia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/table-top-racing-3abc.jpeg)

You can’t play touch screen games on a TV because you need to watch the touch screen to be sure you’re on the buttons. That is one of the things keeping me from getting the Wii U.

Akarin
Feb 1, 2013, 11:41 AM
Like many, I don't believe gaming is in Apple's DNA. I think that on this one, they should partner with those who "know gaming". Of all, Valve would be a prime candidate.

But in a way or another, they should invade the gaming market: so many people hold onto Windows only for gaming purposes. I am one... I use Mac for everything but I have a monster beast of a PC for gaming.

Wrock
Feb 1, 2013, 11:49 AM

Sorry, I thought the Apple/Bungie/Microsoft story was well known.

The move by Apple to embrace Bungie with Halo was seen as an attempt to breathe a little life into the Mac games market. If memory serves, it was already in decline.

Microsoft jumped, and bought Bungie. What was to have been a Mac/Windows game turned into an X-box exclusive. Bungie became what we all know today. This was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for Mac gaming, and embarrassing for Apple, because they were the ones who first promoted the game. So I would be very surprised if Apple dips their fingers into ANY gaming endeavour. The last two big pushes that I can remember both ended in disaster for them.

iMacFarlane
Feb 1, 2013, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I thought the Apple/Bungie/Microsoft story was well known.

The move by Apple to embrace Bungie with Halo was seen as an attempt to breathe a little life into the Mac games market. If memory serves, it was already in decline.

Microsoft jumped, and bought Bungie. What was to have been a Mac/Windows game turned into an X-box exclusive. Bungie became what we all know today. This was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for Mac gaming, and embarrassing for Apple, because they were the ones who first promoted the game. So I would be very surprised if Apple dips their fingers into ANY gaming endeavour. The last two big pushes that I can remember both ended in disaster for them.

Oh. Wow, that's too bad. I wasn't aware of all that.

I thought maybe it was something embarrassing, like Steve Jobs getting up in front of a huge audience and blue-screening himself into a game in order to show his support of gaming. Not that anyone would ever do that . . . ;)

http://www.cynicalsmirk.com/images/bill_gates_doom.jpg

whooleytoo
Feb 1, 2013, 12:12 PM
Like many, I don't believe gaming is in Apple's DNA. I think that on this one, they should partner with those who "know gaming". Of all, Valve would be a prime candidate.

But in a way or another, they should invade the gaming market: so many people hold onto Windows only for gaming purposes. I am one... I use Mac for everything but I have a monster beast of a PC for gaming.

They don't really need to "do" much to take on the gaming market - iOS gaming thrived with little or no support or push from Apple. Apple just created the market and the gaming companies filled the void.

But some moves - such as Apple refusing to release a reasonably priced Mac with upgradable graphics, and not enabling apps on the AppleTV - seem to be almost actively fighting against (non-mobile) gaming.

winston1236
Feb 1, 2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry, but this guy is out of his mind. There is no way apple will enter the gaming industry. I love apple but it's on it's way down already. The iphone is already showing its age and they just can't seem to innovate anymore. Not the way they did with the original iphone. The ipad is a paper weight, and Apple TV can use a lot of work. On the other hand, I love MacBooks! Best laptops around. So, no to gaming. I would be more impressed if they decided to make the ipad useful. They need to kill iOS and put OS11 on the next ipad.

True, it seems now apples most innovative dept is the legal dept.

mono1980
Feb 1, 2013, 12:49 PM
I LOVE Apple, but gaming is not their strong point. They do not understand it at all. iOS is a great platform, but most of the games are utter garbage. Sometimes you just need a standard controller, other times, it's the business model that's at fault. There is too much free crap. And the worst trend is the "free" version that is anything but if you want to actually enjoy the game. People whine about any game costing more than $2, it's insane. Now developers are afraid to charge a sustainable price for any of their games and the quality of the games available suffers because of it.

Yamcha
Feb 1, 2013, 12:49 PM
If we see a console from Apple, I wonder If it'd be called iGame :P.. But really I don't want Apple to go into the Games market.

amApple
Feb 1, 2013, 01:27 PM
More and more MAC clients are coming out for games because the MAC OS is gaining steam (no pun intended...well kinda) :p.

I've been gaming for a long time, built custom machines with the latest and greatest but I found my 27 inch Mac I bought about 2 years ago to be really solid. I don't have any issues with the high end game I play. Lots of players have trouble with their PC's with hardware failures. I don't want to be a PC hobbyist anymore. I could care less what graphics card I have as long as I'm having a good experience with the content.

I actually do bootcamp Windows 7 because some of the MAC client issues on some games. It works great. The only thing I haven't gotten to work is the Apple provided headphones microphone to work with Windows 7 so I got a separate headset. I prefer the earbuds because the headset is uncomfortable after wearing it.

Point is, I hope Apple gets in the game, (ugh another pun) more competition in this space is good. I really enjoy all of my Apple products for content consumption and gaming seems to be the next logical step. They could do something no one else has done with the money that have piled up.

baryon
Feb 1, 2013, 01:40 PM
Newell argued that games served from a PC in the home direct to a TV, rather than from a games console, are the future of the market.

It's strange that he says this, but I think it's true. I heard that Valve was working on a "Steam box" which is technically a console for Steam games, but then apparently that won't or wasn't going to happen. I think gaming doesn't deserve its own expensive device, for most people, so it makes sense.

It's also interesting that he says Apple has a big opportunity in gaming, since the Mac has never been a good platform for games until Steam became available on OS X, and iPhone/iPad games are very different than the typical Steam games: they're casual and simple, and quite disposable (you'll play Angry Birds for a bit of time but you won't come back to it all the time and it won't be your favorite game for the next 5 years).

Maybe the Apple TV could become a "console" of sorts that could be coupled with a controller and work with "proper" Steam-like games… But then you can already do that with a Mac. Maybe he just means that there's a new category of casual gaming, and it's becoming increasingly important.

PBG4 Dude
Feb 1, 2013, 01:46 PM
If we see a console from Apple, I wonder If it'd be called iGame :P.. But really I don't want Apple to go into the Games market.

Maybe they'll call it Pippin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin)?

mrsir2009
Feb 1, 2013, 02:14 PM
Well they certainly have the money, the ecosystem and the developers.

chrmjenkins
Feb 1, 2013, 02:47 PM
Steam is a great product, and I greatly admire Gabe and what Valve does. But I think he's wrong. I think the Steam Box will have limited penetration into the living room because Valve does not have a rapport with the average consumer, nor will that consumer be inclined to put a whole PC in their living room when the consumer electronics trend is towards low power, dedicated set top and streaming boxes. Those devices are taking on the capabilities of what enthusiasts have been using HTPCs for, further eliminating the need for such devices.

And if the Steam Box wants to compete with the average console, it has to do it on a cost basis. When a next generation console launches, to get the same performance out of a PC, you're likely going to spend double, or at least 50% more of what the console cost. That will erode over time, but then what is your model? More frequent updates like mobile hardware? Sure, they can market that you have your games wherever you have steam, but if Sony and MS have streaming ambitions (Sony's Gakai acquisition suggests so), they may be on their way to enabling remote play themselves, either via a vita, PC, tablet, or what have you.

The Steam Box has very little novel value proposition for the average consumer, and that's why I don't think it will gain good traction with consumers. It may win over the people that already use Steam, but those are dedicated gamers already. Steam made PC gaming easier and more accessible, but that didn't drive people back in droves. That just convinced the people already there that the open nature of the PC was working and the proper things were being leveraged to make it a compelling experience from a purchaser's standpoint.

JAT
Feb 1, 2013, 03:08 PM
You can’t play touch screen games on a TV because you need to watch the touch screen to be sure you’re on the buttons. That is one of the things keeping me from getting the Wii U.
Agreed. I just don't see why so many say "look at games on iOS, let's put 'em on a TV!" It's two completely different control paradigms. I should check out the U, see what it really does. It looks pointless, but I haven't studied it.

charlituna
Feb 1, 2013, 04:43 PM

Yep. A lot of folks believe that the classic stuff. Original Mario/super Mario, donkey kong etc would play just fine on iOS. And might encourage console sales as folks get a taste of the games on their iOS devices and want the more powerful stuff that can't play on them.

One could ask why Steam doesn't release anything in iOS for the same reasons. I'm sure there's some classic games that would play just fine. Wet the whistle and get folks aware of the system

----------

Like many, I don't believe gaming is in Apple's DNA. I think that on this one, they should partner with those who "know gaming".

In a way that is exactly what they have done. They don't write the games, just create hardware. As if the game developers can make a game that works from the hardware (and software) great. Have at it.

But gaming isn't Apples key focus so they won't design just for it.

Eriden
Feb 1, 2013, 06:27 PM
In a way that is exactly what they have done. They don't write the games, just create hardware. As if the game developers can make a game that works from the hardware (and software) great. Have at it.

But gaming isn't Apples key focus so they won't design just for it.

iDevices are gimped in graphics hardware compared to dedicated consoles, but the A6 and A6X chips can put on a respectable show. No one argues that the graphics from Infinity Blade 2 or Lili are terrible. Apple has built up such a large community of developers, that they would be able to make a hobby out of more serious gaming.

I know I'm going to get the third degree for suggesting this, so let me first disclaim that I know nothing can really replace the form and function of a physical controller when it comes to some games. That said, it probably wouldn't be that difficult for Apple to write a touchscreen controller app for iPhone/iPod Touch that would link one of those devices with either an iPad or an AppleTV, and use the former as a touchscreen game controller. Build in the necessary APIs to let developers take advantage of the input, and you would have access to a very nice moderately powered gaming system that can be either portable (iPad) or living room (aTV).

Yeah, you aren't going to be playing the latest AAA titles in full HD with all the graphics settings maxxed, but I would imagine that developers would come up with some pretty cool new stuff, as well as porting some classics.

Edit: And the only thing I have to say about the gentleman giving the lecture referenced in the article is that I'm pretending he doesn't exist until the world finally gets to explore the Aperture Science Icebreaker Borealis.

MattInOz
Feb 1, 2013, 06:29 PM

I don't think there is anything stopping a Shield Client for iOS or Mac happening. Use iDevices & androids out there to sell that new SteamBox console for them. Why fight something that could work for you?

WilliamLondon
Feb 1, 2013, 08:07 PM
Agreed. I just don't see why so many say "look at games on iOS, let's put 'em on a TV!" It's two completely different control paradigms. I should check out the U, see what it really does. It looks pointless, but I haven't studied it.

And yet they do it the other way - there are games that start out on consoles and move to iOS, and sometimes they do an amazing job transferring control and gameplay, Joe Danger is a great example, so why is it so inconceivable that games designed for iOS would not transfer to the TV? Is it merely the controller, which I agree can't be a touch interface where you have to look at your controller and not the TV screen - but that's nothing that a new dedicated Apple game controller wouldn't solve.

Casual games are played by millions and millions of people - it's the market they would pursue, leaving the hard core gaming to console makers. Apple will never displace Sony or MS consoles - those two will fight it out for the next many years, and Nintendo will probably follow in the footsteps of Sega. It's the masses who don't own consoles, would never buy one that Apple should pursue - that's where I see an Apple play, and it only has to be a small extension from where they are already successful in the world of gaming.

koruki
Feb 1, 2013, 09:14 PM
Apple would be pissing around trying to eliminate the controller - we like the controller as it is thank you very much.

People liked their 12 buttons using * and # to navigate on phones too til the iPhone came out.

Gigaman
Feb 1, 2013, 10:58 PM
Why all the doubt and negativity towards this? Have people not seen how much of an impact mobile gaming on iDevices has made? And before anyone tries to degrade it, there are hundreds of games- many of them for core gamers, exclusives- along with early releases and great visuals.

They've got the user base, several games and they can simply add a more serious gaming experience to the Apple TV. The only reason I can think of to doubt this is because is hasn't happened yet!

Renzatic
Feb 1, 2013, 11:51 PM

Holy crap. It's Micro Machines for the iPad! I'm getting this day one, no doubt! :D

Dolmacje
Feb 2, 2013, 09:22 AM
I first would like to see what kind of controller they could surprise us with... then the hardware itself, if they go all crazy on this thing it will be at a cost!

notabadname
Feb 2, 2013, 12:24 PM
The problem for Apple would not be the hardware, but the ecosystem. Just like they dominate with iTunes and a massive App Store, and it limits other entrants, Microsoft and Sony have massive ecosystems, of which the XBox is the best IMO. If you switch to an Apple game environment, you give up your circle of friends that you game with on which ever current console you use. You give up the backwards compatibility of older games that the consoles offer, even when they update hardware. I would not give up my friends, game library or "Gamerscore" and list of achievements for anything Apple may come out with. And that is coming from a pretty major Apple fan. Apple, I am sure, understands this challenge if they tried to enter this market, and knows it is rather prohibitive. The social network of gaming makes people very loyal. Very different than switching TV or Phone hardware.

Jimmy James
Feb 2, 2013, 02:06 PM
Dual core Apple TV with access to the App Store.

WilliamLondon
Feb 2, 2013, 08:13 PM
I first would like to see what kind of controller they could surprise us with... then the hardware itself, if they go all crazy on this thing it will be at a cost!

Controller, yes, but the hardware itself, why? The hardware shouldn't need any upgrade at all - it's already powering devices that run iOS games, and that's where Apple would have its strongest play, as an extension to the world of existing iOS games. Why create something new? (at least for now) Leave the hardcore gaming to the game consoles, and continue doing what millions and millions of people enjoy already - gaming on iOS, but now on your television (with simply a new interface, the new Apple Game Controller, iGame).

...Table Top Racing

Downloaded it earlier today, played once on my iPad, once on my iPhone (at work) - can't wait till I get a chance to really spend some time with it, my first plays were really fun (great graphics on both iPhone and iPad versions!), many thanks for the referral (though that was the last thing I needed - I've got so many awesome games on my iPad I can't begin to spend enough time with them all!). Thanks, though!!

chadua
Feb 2, 2013, 08:35 PM
There is a huge quality difference between the vast majority of games on iOS and those designed for gaming consoles. Apple would have to develop a separate branding/licensing/approval mechanism for games if they want to compete with console gaming. Gamers aren't going to sift through hundreds of low quality apps they are happy to pay the $20-$60 for their games because they want the quality. Apple would need to get good enough graphics hardware into their iOS environment to attract developers, and create a market with a high enough QA process that gamers won't laugh at the idea.

charlituna
Feb 3, 2013, 12:17 AM
. Apple has built up such a large community of developers, that they would be able to make a hobby out of more serious gaming.

Classic Apple. They leave the 'serious gaming' to those who can presumably do it better.

. That said, it probably wouldn't be that difficult for Apple to write a touchscreen controller app for iPhone/iPod Touch that would link one of those devices with either an iPad or an AppleTV, and use the former as a touchscreen game controller.

It's already in the SDK as something that can be built into the apps. The Incident is an example that is using it.

eXan
Feb 3, 2013, 04:10 AM
Steam Founder Gabe Newell Says Apple Could Be Biggest Player in Games Market

With what, tons of cr..p from the app store but now on a tv? I'll stick with real gaming.

Dagless
Feb 3, 2013, 04:34 AM
Sounds like Valve are continuing their push away from Windows to me.

VoR
Feb 3, 2013, 08:25 AM
Sounds like Valve are continuing their push away from Windows to me.

Gabe might be one of the most famous anti-win8'ers about, but I think a lot of this is down to the Windows store. Apple already have their own competing, locked-in eco system that I'm sure Gabe isn't a huge fan of either :)

Valve are continuing to do great things for gaming and should be supported by everyone. With the osx client, their linux client and their steam console plans, more and more publishers will be under pressure to move away from directx and produce portable, native games for all platforms - Very exciting!

Hell0W0rld
Feb 3, 2013, 09:09 AM
That would be horrible, dumping prices on 'normal'-games as well?
Fremium only titles for your apple-console.

Good for Apple. Bad for developers and gamers alike.

WilliamLondon
Feb 3, 2013, 09:13 AM
I'll stick with real gaming.

It's so easy to declare oneself superior - the real trouble is in getting everyone else to agree. ;)

Dagless
Feb 3, 2013, 11:41 AM
Valve are continuing to do great things for gaming and should be supported by everyone. With the osx client, their linux client and their steam console plans, more and more publishers will be under pressure to move away from directx and produce portable, native games for all platforms - Very exciting!

It is, but it's more work for us developers too :p.
But I love their push away from Windows because it feels like the start of a big shift in gaming.

MagnusVonMagnum
Feb 3, 2013, 04:50 PM
Phone games are not even real games.

WTF is a "real" game? Given the complexity of games on iOS, I guess that means all Amiga, C64, Coleco and Intellivision weren't "real" games (let alone an Odyssey or heaven forbid an analog PONG machine). :rolleyes:

glsillygili
Feb 3, 2013, 05:44 PM
I LOVE GABEN http://www.linkdeadgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/saint-gaben.jpeg

eXan
Feb 3, 2013, 06:07 PM
WTF is a "real" game? Given the complexity of games on iOS, I guess that means all Amiga, C64, Coleco and Intellivision weren't "real" games (let alone an Odyssey or heaven forbid an analog PONG machine). :rolleyes:

A game that doesn't bore me after 5 min of playing. I'm not denying that mobile games have their place (I personally play them from time to time when waiting in line, etc), but they are not a replacement for computer games that actually have depth, or even possibly an e-sports following.

Mr. WilliamLondon, when I say I prefer "real" gaming it doesn't mean I declare myself superior, it just means that I like that type of gaming..

thekev
Feb 3, 2013, 06:50 PM

Apple has never actively catered to gaming. The kind of thing you're suggesting would be a completely different stance for them. They made the iphone. They sold it in large numbers with a basically fixed set of specs. Games just showed up due to its popularity. People already own the device, so you have a very low barrier of entry. They aren't buying a $300+ console solely to gain access to $40-60 games. Many of them would have the phone either way. A game might be $5-20. The purchasing commitment is just extremely low.

n8mac
Feb 3, 2013, 07:19 PM
Apple will never displace Sony or MS consoles - those two will fight it out for the next many years, and Nintendo will probably follow in the footsteps of Sega.

That's pretty funny. Was thinking the exact opposite to be true. The only thing keeping Sony and MS afloat in the console space is their huge pile of $$ reserves. That and the PS has Bluray for HD movies and both Sony and MS have copied motion control from Wii. Other than that they are largely irrelevant. Nintendo is raking in the $$ from only one thing, gaming. I hear a lot of talk about the next generation Xbox/PS but it's all vaporware at the moment. Nintendo is the only one already here.

Back on the Apple front, I do hope that they take a serious look at non-mobile gaming, whether it be for the Mac, TV, or both. I am tired of Macs capable of "almost" everything computing. Gaming is a part of computing for many. Whether they want to admit it or not is up to them. I don't mind paying a bit more for the same spec'ed hardware as a PC counterpart if it comes from Apple and games natively. I'm not buying a Mac Pro though.