Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
For my app, im gonna have the option to have either a linea pro/infinea tab device or a bluetooth scanner.

the problem i have is that the bluetooth scanner is recognized as a bluetooth keyboard, so the virtual key board doesn't show up.

and the user is going to need to enter in the quantity manually (if needed) or customer information manually (if it is a new customer) so the need for the virtual keyboard is imperative.

i was looking for a solution for this since the beginning of the development, but never found it.

can anyone give me a solution for this problem? did anyone else run into this problem?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
You want to use SPP. As you have found out, only one keyboard can be active in iOS when using HID.

What are HID and SPP?

I've played a little bit with one of these, Socket 7 scanner The SDK is bit confusing but gives you some nice flexibility. It will allow you to do what your looking for, as I've done exactly that.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
A bad idea, but you could roll your own keyboard, if you can't find any other solution.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
A bad idea, but you could roll your own keyboard, if you can't find any other solution.

why is it a bad idea?? what are the dangers/problems of using this method?

i also found this suggestion (first answer):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ardware-keyboard-is-connected/3837131#3837131

haven't tried this solution yet, but will have the dev team try it out.

i rather not have to push every customer to linea pro products, if we cant get this to work. i want to give them a cheaper option of buying a regular bluetooth scanner instead of buying a 500-700 dollar device.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

Don't see why it's a bad idea? especially if it's only numeric, backspace, and enter keys.
I wonder what would happen if you ripped the iOS keypad graphic and used that?
I did that with two UI buttons, but the gfx were beyond recognition by the
time I used them.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Don't see why it's a bad idea? especially if it's only numeric, backspace, and enter keys.
I wonder what would happen if you ripped the iOS keypad graphic and used that?
I did that with two UI buttons, but the gfx were beyond recognition by the
time I used them.

i think he was talking about that other bluetooth solution was a bad idea.

can u just call teh accessory keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.