PDA

View Full Version : emac + pc + Brother HL-1440 laser printer

quadrant6
Dec 7, 2002, 01:15 AM
I am probably going to buy an emac (1st mac) in a day or two and then a Brother HL-1440 laser printer. I already have a windows box and would like to be able to print from both machines, is this possible? easy to setup?

This printer says it supports both pc & mac systems and it has a USB port and parallel port so one would think it's possible right? just hook the emac up to USB and the pc to the parallel port but i haven't heard from anyone who has actually done it yet.

Anyone here? or any info regarding this printer working with a mac.

:)

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by quadrant6
I am probably going to buy an emac (1st mac) in a day or two and then a Brother HL-1440 laser printer. I already have a windows box and would like to be able to print from both machines, is this possible? easy to setup?

This printer says it supports both pc & mac systems and it has a USB port and parallel port so one would think it's possible right? just hook the emac up to USB and the pc to the parallel port but i haven't heard from anyone who has actually done it yet.

Anyone here? or any info regarding this printer working with a mac.

:)

Why a laser printer?

Buggy
Dec 7, 2002, 02:55 AM
Buy a hub and network the PC and MAC and the printer. This way you will also be able to share files, and internet connection.

I quickly checked the Apple site and found that your printer should work, but one person did mention they are having difficulties. The problems are not exclusive to the Brother. I have an HP and have had many different problems, most are worked out, the more updates Apple does the better things seem to get. (except with the OSX10.2.2 on anNT network. Seems this update gave us the added feature of corrupting certain files at seemingly random times.

Here is the link of re: printing problems with the Brother

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@216.y9rraK5zePg.8@.3bbc0511/0

re: the difficulty of set - up. It depends upon your skill level, some say it is easy some say difficult. I have a copy of;

Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Second Edition
by David Pogue (Editor)

I found it a great help in connecting computers.

quadrant6
Dec 7, 2002, 04:57 AM
Why a laser printer?

Work, I may be able to get some design jobs from a friend with a printing house but he says I need a B&W laser for 'proofs' etc.

I may have to look at getting a hub :)

markdevlin
Dec 7, 2002, 06:59 AM
Yeah, easy peasy solution is USB cable the Emac, parallel cable the PC - do the same myself with a HP1200. As for the additional network benefits - if you need them go for it, hub, airport, whatever - lots of extra functionality but potential setup headaches. Specifically on the HL1440 I had a nightmare trying to set one up between an old ibook a new ibook, and old imac and a titbook. In the end I could only get it working by putting everyone (except the titbook) on Os9 and then printing from the titbook via a classic version of Acrobat - not what I would call user friendly.

I thought networking was a pain with PCs until I tried it with Macs.

Cheers,
Mark