Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
I just got back from the Apple Store at the local mall. Previously, the Powerbooks were on the left, iMacs on the right. No longer. On the right was a Nano display and on the left (where the powerbooks were once featured) were iBooks. Powerbooks were actually hard to come by and only found in a small display half-way to the rear of the shop. Is Apple ashamed of their powerbooks or something?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The Apple store near me still has the PowerBooks where they usually are. It might be what the store sells more of? Or maybe they sold their floor model to make ready for updates? Who knows?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sedulous said:
Is Apple ashamed of their powerbooks or something?
Haha, I'm surprised hoards of angry Apple fans awaiting PB updates haven't already pounced on this. Perhaps it is getting harder for Apple to sell the PBs as compared to the recently updated iBooks? Not too sure... or maybe, just maybe, PB updates are coming on Wed. ;)

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
In the Las Vegas Apple Store, the PowerBooks used to be the first thing you would see. Now they are in the back. I guess 1.67GHz G4 and ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 do not impress customers anymore...

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
I just was very surprised to have trouble finding a powerbook at an Apple Store. Moreoever, looking at the "new" Dell "Luxury" notebooks, the Powerbooks actually seem better than ever.

It does seem to add credence to claims of Powerbook updates.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
At first I was gonna say: "maybe it's in preperation for the rumored Power line update" But then I remembered, the poor folks at the Apple stores are usually the last to know. The guy I talked to about the nano said he didn't have a clue until it showed up in a delivery the day of the anouncement.

So uh...yeah..maybe they're ashamed. Although, they shouldn't be. The PB is still a fine machine, just not quite up to speed with windows portables just now. Give it time. (doesn't matter how fast the processor is, the pc's are still slower as far as productivity goes when you're updating/fixing them all the time) :cool:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Sedulous said:
Is Apple ashamed of their powerbooks or something?

No. Many Apple stores have simply dedicated a lot of prominent display space to the iPod nano, which is the product that seems to have the highest demand at the moment. This has pushed many of their computer products to the fringes of the store.

They're just trying to make sure people can get their hands on a nano without too much waiting.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
wrxguy said:
Its probably just your store...usually apple stores have the same floor plans but depending on supply and demand they usually change things around

You may indeed be right. However, I am just saying it is odd that the APPLE store has only three powerbooks displayed in the entire store. Oh, wait, there was a fourth at the register.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
Sedulous said:
I just got back from the Apple Store at the local mall. Previously, the Powerbooks were on the left, iMacs on the right. No longer. On the right was a Nano display and on the left (where the powerbooks were once featured) were iBooks. Powerbooks were actually hard to come by and only found in a small display half-way to the rear of the shop. Is Apple ashamed of their powerbooks or something?

I have to admit, when I first started this thread I kept writing "Nano Store" instead of Apple Store. Now I am thinking I might have been on to something. I would say nearly 1/4 of the store was mostly dedicated to iPod Nano.

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Bear said:
The Apple store near me still has the PowerBooks where they usually are. It might be what the store sells more of? Or maybe they sold their floor model to make ready for updates? Who knows?
Can you buy the floor model's and if so what for?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Same story at Apple store regents street, the Pro Range is some what hidden away with iBook's and Nano's taking first priority....The there are the iMac's and Mac Mini's hooked up to 20" ACD's.....and finally in the back and sides after the Nano's you will find some Powerbooks,

Shadow

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Sedulous said:
only three powerbooks displayed in the entire store. Oh, wait, there was a fourth at the register.
What's wrong with that? At my local apple store (*****hole), they have a display of one mac mini, one imac g5 and one ibook.
At 'real' apple stores I've been to, there is generally 3 pbs, 2 ibooks, 2-3 g5s.
Basically one of each model of everything, inc. displays.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
shadowmoses said:
Same story at Apple store regents street, the Pro Range is some what hidden away with iBook's and Nano's taking first priority....The there are the iMac's and Mac Mini's hooked up to 20" ACD's.....and finally in the back and sides after the Nano's you will find some Powerbooks,

Shadow

There is still a table of powerbooks on the left as you walk in, like there has always been, no..?

Fireburst

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2005
Kobushi said:
The PB is still a fine machine, just not quite up to speed with windows portables just now. Give it time. (doesn't matter how fast the processor is, the pc's are still slower as far as productivity goes when you're updating/fixing them all the time) :cool:

I used to agree with you but recently my windows units have been much less problematic (been over 12 months since I have had to sort out a major problem) which kinda goes against the grain. The most recents patches from apple have been less than good and much more problematic.

I just want PB's to get a nice boost to see us through until Mac-Intels.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Fireburst said:
... I just want PB's to get a nice boost to see us through until Mac-Intels.

The entire PowerBook line needs more than the typical modest bump in speed even before the switchover in 2006. I would welcome a change in overall design at this time, and I agree with your point about Windows units requiring somewhat less time to keep updated and in relatively good working order. Several of my co-workers own them and that is the impression I get from them.

c2104338

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
Newcastle, Australia
Flowbee said:
No. Many Apple stores have simply dedicated a lot of prominent display space to the iPod nano, which is the product that seems to have the highest demand at the moment. This has pushed many of their computer products to the fringes of the store.

They're just trying to make sure people can get their hands on a nano without too much waiting.

Isn't moving the stock to the front of the store for easy access the worst thing that Apple can do?
If you go to a department store like Target they keep the CDs at the back.
The local service station also keeps the milk right at the back of the store.
Why? Because it is the thing that most people buy so by making them go to the back of the store they have to go past a lot of other products. Apple should be placing the Nano at the back of the store to force customers to walk past all of their other products- it's the best way to get non-Mac users to see their range of computers.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
c2104338 said:
Isn't moving the stock to the front of the store for easy access the worst thing that Apple can do?

Even the largest Apple store is still a "boutique." Target is a huge department store. I don't think the same merchndising theory applies. Apple's focus, retail-wise, seems to be moving as many Nanos as possible while there's still a buzz. They also know that as soon as people actually see the nano in person, they want one. From what I understand, Apple makes a pretty tidy profit on each one they sell... so why hide them in the back of the store?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Powerbooks are great, im saving up to buy one rght now, if they are at the back then the best guess is the nanos. Most of the malls that Apple Stores are at here in Texas are very big and the best market are the people that have googles of money and go oooooo at the pretty sight of things, and sadly most people (your average joe) could care less about a labtop, but a nano is just cool :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.