PDA

View Full Version : My Powerbook is dead :mad:

mylexon20s
Oct 8, 2005, 09:01 PM
Well, last night I went to turn on my powerbook, and upon doing so, it froze up COMPLETELY when I went to open up FireFox (I hate firefox but I had to download it b/c Safari just totally died, along w/ every other f'n program).. So I restarted and the screen would turn on, and that is it.. Then it would just turn off.. So I went to the Mac Store today.. Spent about 4 1/2 hours.. 1 1/2 of which I waited to speak to a Mac Genius.. lol .. Anyways.. The gentleman that I dealt with was awesome.. He didn't just tell me I needed a new hard drive, he took the time to help me out.. We ended up COMPLETELY wipeing out my hard drive, and then re-installing tiger.. Well it worked........................UNTILL I GOT HOME :mad: :mad: !!!! It Isn't his fault, he really did help me out.. I got home and started it up, which it did, and it also connected to the internet.. Then it just turned froze up, and that was it.. I guess afterall I DO need a new harddrive.. So basically, I got one year out of my powerbook, b/c my hard drive fried.. I am pretty much less then happy about that.. And then I had the guy tell me that to replace it, it'll be between $300-900 to fix.. B/c I have a small dent in the Aluminum, and he said most likely Apple will say that it broke b/c I dropped it.. Or I might get lucky and have somebody who doesnt care and it'll cost me around $350.. I dont know how I feel right now about all this.. I am sorry for the rant, but I am so aggrivated..
-Matt

mylexon20s
Oct 8, 2005, 09:05 PM
Anybody want to buy a 12" Powerbook G4 1.33ghz 60g/AE/BT/Combo. lol ;)

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 8, 2005, 09:18 PM
Your PowerBook is behaving like a single processor PowerMac G5. I have a dead G5 in the jungle, gutted, with an iguana living in it. :p

FFTT
Oct 8, 2005, 09:34 PM
Matt,

Replacing a hard drive is not impossible on a PowerBook,

Go to OWC or Newegg and price a few of them for your model.
Seagate 80 GB's are $135.00 at OWC
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=380
Make sure you price the 5400 RPM models.

There are several threads here and at xlr8yourmac that can walk you through the procedure.

While you're at it, get at least another 512 MB RAM.

Actually a bad HD is a minor repair and far better than something like a logic board or a SuperDrive crapping out on you.

IM me if you need any more help

mylexon20s
Oct 8, 2005, 10:30 PM
IM me if you need any more help

Hey Buddy,
I am going to look into the hard-drive tomorrow morning.. I am kind of relieved because after all of the problems I was having, and all the problems you and I were having tryin to target the problem, @ the end, I still ended up losing everything. lol .. I like the idea of going with a 100G hard drive if it will work.. I like the 120G also, but i'd like to buy RAM and the biggest HD I can for under $300.. I think i'm going to buy a 512 chip or possibly a 1gig.. Crucial has the 1 gig chip for $179.. I dont know if there is anywhere cheaper.. Thanks,
-Matt

mklos
Oct 8, 2005, 10:40 PM
If you feel comfortable, I would just replace it yourself like FFTT said. Just take your time when doing so and everything should go smooth. The hardest part is remembering where all the screws go, but if you take the extra time to tape them to a sheet and write under it where they go, then thats not so much of a problem. Like I said, take your time. Laptops are not really made to be taken apart once they're assembled so if you rush something, your PowerBook may look like hell when you get done.

I would get a 100 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HD like I have in my 17" PowerBook. Its a sweet hard drive and I think makes a great speed improvement. They are a little on the expensive side, but if you plan on having this PowerBook for a while, its a great improvement.

FFTT
Oct 8, 2005, 10:41 PM
How big of an internal HD is one of those debatable subjects.

Generally I write off about 14 GB just for OS and formatting space.

You can get several 100 GB 2.5 notebook HD's, but I'd personally
stick to about 80 GB and buy an external if you really need extra storage.

Be careful about what tools you use and follow anti-static procedures.

I recommend ESD safe wihatools for electronics work.
http://www.wihatools.com/

This is every precision tool freak's dream store.

Eniregnat
Oct 8, 2005, 11:16 PM
Here is a thread that I started documenting my difficulties in swapping out the HD on my 12" PB. It's worth a look. It's time consuming. Just take your time, keep things organized, use good tools, and it should go fine.

FFTT
Oct 8, 2005, 11:33 PM
I just saw a link posted the other day for instuctions to replace a 12" PowerBook HD.

Anyone got it?

Also, Matt has a dent in his PB's lower case and I thought he should be careful to note any possible contact between the case and the logic board or other
electronics.

How difficult would it be to gently repair the dent if it compromises
the electronics?

mylexon20s
Oct 8, 2005, 11:34 PM
Hey Guys,
I just got done talking to FFTT .. I am going to probably buy a 100GB toshiba w/ 16MB Cache @ 5400RPM .. They got it for $158.00.. Deffinately a good price.. I am going to order the RAM to.. Deffinately want to see this thing speedy and problem free.. I also need to take some more time to take care of it inside & out.. I will update you as I get moving on this upgrade.. I can't live w/o it. lol ..
-Matt

mylexon20s
Oct 8, 2005, 11:39 PM
I found a website that shows how to do it .. www.PBFIXIT.com ... They also have the Case.. its $199.99 just for the bottom piece. lol .. DAMN
-Matt

FFTT
Oct 8, 2005, 11:46 PM
Matt, you still need to replace your Tiger install CD.

I would talk to AppleCare and give them your owner info
hoping that they will send you a replacement CD for the cost of shipping.
I think they charge $19.95, but not sure.

If your Powerbook was pre-Tiger then you'll need the full retail OSX Tiger Box. So there goes another $130.00

IF you're lucky , maybe the Apple tech will re-install the OS on your new hard
drive for you. again not sure.

You really should have your own install disc.

I just read through the PBFIXIT.com instructions.

It looks like the hardest part is keeping track of your parts, EXACTLY in the order they were removed and making written notes of where they came from.

You might want to get some color coded stickies of some sort to help you stay organized, but otherwise it looks like you'll be O.K.

mylexon20s
Oct 9, 2005, 05:14 PM
FFTT,
I did actually get a copy of Tiger.. IM me later..
-Matt

GlassOgnion
Oct 9, 2005, 08:22 PM
Just a little advice. When taking apart your PB, take high resolutions picts of each disassembling step with your digital camera. It will give you references when it will be time to reassemble the whole thing. You can zoom the picts in your camera display to see how the components and wires were placed before disassembling. Good luck !!!

mylexon20s
Oct 9, 2005, 08:52 PM
Just a little advice. When taking apart your PB, take high resolutions picts of each disassembling step with your digital camera. It will give you references when it will be time to reassemble the whole thing. You can zoom the picts in your camera display to see how the components and wires were placed before disassembling. Good luck !!!

Yeh, I have been talking to Robb and I Deffinately am going to be careful.. I am alittle nervous, But I have built computers (windows) before.. I think as long as I take my time, I should be ok.. I will be in touch with everyone to let you know my progress.. I should be ordering the drive and memory this week..
-Matt