Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam Chase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
well guys i was recently going through my parents work shop and came upon this
untitled1copy5we.jpg

and a whole slew of other old macs but this on looked the oldest. How old do you think it is? and does it have any value. Not that im gunna sell it im just wondering. And that serial # since it says m00001 does that mean it was the first of that model?

Adam Chase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
homerjward said:
judging by the model number, i'd say it's an original macintosh. (the M00001 is the model # not the serial)

an original mac?? so like the first model of mac ever built?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Adam Chase said:
an original mac?? so like the first model of mac ever built?

Acc'd to MacTracker and the M0001 number, it's a 128k Mac.. code named "Macintosh"
Intro'd Jan 1984, discontinued in October 1985

like.. yea. Worth A LOT.
if you can find a buyer you might be able to sell it and get a new car with the cash.
HOLD ON TO THAT BABY! I want one!

Adam Chase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
Acc'd to MacTracker and the M0001 number, it's a 128k Mac.. code named "Macintosh"
Intro'd Jan 1984, discontinued in October 1985

like.. yea. Worth A LOT.
if you can find a buyer you might be able to sell it and get a new car with the cash.
HOLD ON TO THAT BABY! I want one!

k are you being sarcastic... please i didnt come here to be made fun of or anything im just alittle curious

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
Nice find

Yes, it's definitely an original Mac. But it probably won't get you a new car. There are plenty of 512k Macs still around, but the 128k is indeed rare.

If you still have the mouse, keyboard, and other things, you could probably get a few hundred for it. Look up "Mac 128k" on eBay and you'll see similar things going for a few hundred USD.

However...if you find a particularly faithful Mac user, there's no telling what they might pay for one of these.... ;)

Adam Chase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
elfin buddy said:
Yes, it's definitely an original Mac. But it probably won't get you a new car. There are plenty of 512k Macs still around, but the 128k is indeed rare.

If you still have the mouse, keyboard, and other things, you could probably get a few hundred for it. Look up "Mac 128k" on eBay and you'll see similar things going for a few hundred USD.

However...if you find a particularly faithful Mac user, there's no telling what they might pay for one of these.... ;)

yes i do have all the stuff and i just plugged her in and she runs fine.. but i have no plans on selling it and im sure my dad was keeping it for a reason..

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
elfin buddy said:
Yes, it's definitely an original Mac. But it probably won't get you a new car.

ok, fine. A really, really CHEAP used-but-new-to-you car... or a totally sweet bicycle. Whichever. :p

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Lucky you. I got to hold one once. Of course the amount it's worth is based on condition-- original keyboard, mouse, software, and most importantly-- does it boot? Tho I'd be afraid to flip the switch :eek:

Good luck with it... Don't try to clean it yourself unless you know something about plastics, as it'll likely discolor and ruin the case, which is of course, not good.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Looks like you've got an original 128k Macintosh, the first of the breed.

I remember a few years back when the 128's were still pretty cheap, now they are getting tougher to find.

Value of these machines depends heavily on what kind of peripherals and software you have as well as the physical condition, which in your case looks average. Peripherals are harder to find than the boxes, and software is scarce too.

I saw one auction a few years ago for a 128k with original packaging, software, peripherals and a carrying case. It fetched something in the low thousands, but even today that is an exception. Don't get me wrong - that's definitely a keeper you've got - but don't expect to make a fortune selling it either.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Go to http://www.apple-history.com/

Macintosh 128k
(Bookmark This Page)

CPU

CPU: Motorola MC68000

CPU Speed: 8 MHz

FPU: none

Bus Speed: 8 MHz

Data Path: 16 bit

ROM: 64 kB

Onboard RAM: 128 kB

Maximum RAM: 128 kB

Video

Monitor: 9" built-in

VRAM: 1 bit 512x342

Storage

Floppy Drive: 3.5" 400 kB

Input/Output

Serial: 2

Audio Out: mono 8 bit

Speaker: mono

Miscellaneous

Codename: Macintosh

Gestalt ID: 1

Power: 60 Watts

Dimensions: 13.6" H x 9.6" W x 10.9" D

Weight: 16.5 lbs.

Minimum OS: 1.0

Maximum OS: System 3.2/Finder 5.3

Introduced: January 1984

Terminated: October 1985

Released with much fanfare in January of 1984, the Macintosh was the first affordable computer to include a Graphical User Interface. It was built around the new Motorola 68000 chip, which was significantly faster than previous processors, running at 8 MHz. The Mac came in a small beige case with a black and white monitor built in. It came with a keyboard and mouse, and had a floppy drive that took 400 kB 3.5" disks--the first personal computer to do so. It originally sold for $2,495. Thanks to Eric Rasmussen For OS info.

Picture Credits:
John Greenleigh/Flipside Studios

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.