Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathanm1222

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
I gave my old MacBook to my brother. I have a new MacBook Pro. Both the old and the new are registered in my name and have the same passwords. I don't want him to have access to my info., email etc.

Can I register the old one in his name and give him a new password so that he can set up his own email address? I want to separate these two computers. I appreciate anyone's advice.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I gave my old MacBook to my brother. I have a new MacBook Pro. Both the old and the new are registered in my name and have the same passwords. I don't want him to have access to my info., email etc.

Can I register the old one in his name and give him a new password so that he can set up his own email address? I want to separate these two computers. I appreciate anyone's advice.

Sure... just open System Preferences and go to Users & Groups. Click the plus sign at the lower left and make a new account for your brother. Now logout of your account and login to his. Go back to that same panel in Users & Groups and select your old account then click the minus sign at the lower left to remove your account. When asked if you want to save or delete the data, click that you want to delete all data. Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.