Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
So the Mac edition was supposed to be out before Xmas, this never happened and we're now into February. Have not found anything new from searching, just "coming soon."

Has anyone heard anything into whether this will get released and when?

Last I heard they found a retina display bug. That was about three days ago. I guess they have to fix it first, then re-submit for approval to Apple.

Three more weeks, at least?:eek:

But to your question, yes I do believe it will come out, eventually...:D

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Last I heard they found a retina display bug. That was about three days ago. I guess they have to fix it first, then re-submit for approval to Apple.

Three more weeks, at least?:eek:

But to your question, yes I do believe it will come out, eventually...:D

Thanks, I hadn't come across that info :)

Just trying to be patient and not buy the Windows version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm a beta tester. All I can say is progress is being made. :) But there's something else about the Mac release that should make people happy. There should be an announcement very soon.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
I suggest you stay from this so-called "remake" as it is worse than the original thing. The devs are there for a quick buck. Bad business practice.

The game is riddled with bugs not present in the original version and is actually not HD, it's very low-res and blurry, crashes all the time. Just read the reviews.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I suggest you stay from this so-called "remake" as it is worse than the original thing. The devs are there for a quick buck. Bad business practice.

The game is riddled with bugs not present in the original version and is actually not HD, it's very low-res and blurry, crashes all the time. Just read the reviews.

First, this isn't a remake, it's "enhanced." The original assets were lost, so there were limits as to what they could do graphically.

Second, if the devs are there for a "quick buck," they made a really bad choice. First having to spend months dealing with lawyers (so many different entities own the rights) and then having to fix up code over ten years old patched together with duct tape...it would've been easier to start something from scratch.

In regards to bugs, yes, the PC version was pretty buggy at launch. Since then it's already had several patches, which the mac version will have right out of the gate. It's not going to be an issue. Sometimes waiting has its benefits...

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
It's a decent effort to bring back this all-time classic. I hope they succeed so we'll see even more rpg gems like Icewind Dale etc. I'm sure that after ironing-out the current bugs, next releases will be way too easier, based on the same engine. There are no other true rpgs like these. I'm waiting for the Mac version as well.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

I've only been playing the iPad version, but its fantastic. The graphics look the same as the original version because its supposed to. There have been some bugs, many of which have been fixed, but if the Mac version comes out as good as the iPad version, its gonna be fantastic.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Yep, I've been holding out for a Mac release as well...

I own all the games on PC, but since I don't have a PC, and don't want to reboot everytime I want to play...Mac it is!

I'd rather they do a good job with this and take their time. I certainly don't want a half-baked product!

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I guess you missed the previous four posts. Purchase and pre-loading is available now and the game will launch on 2/22/13.

But, sadly, not at the App.Store as planned.

It won't be, but hopefully it won't be too much longer after that. Depends on Apple.

Hope so too. However, it's not entirely on Apple. Rejects came for a reason, so far.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
I'm addicted to the iPad version. There's a free program called "ifun box" that let's you access program folders on your iPad. To my surprise I was able to drag my high level BG2 character files into Baldur's Gate for iPad. Most magical gear is lost when importing but high level spells as well as hit points carry over :D

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'm addicted to the iPad version. There's a free program called "ifun box" that let's you access program folders on your iPad. To my surprise I was able to drag my high level BG2 character files into Baldur's Gate for iPad. Most magical gear is lost when importing but high level spells as well as hit points carry over :D

Yup, I wrote a guide on here and the BG:EE forums on how to do it. Should work with Mac version as well.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I don't understand... How do you preload it... Wouldn't that require a beamdog client app like steam has? I don't see a Mac client on the site just a windows one.

I assume it works similar to how the PC launch went... You purchase and then are given the link/option to download the .dmg. Once downloaded you can install, but the game won't launch until the 22nd.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't understand... How do you preload it... Wouldn't that require a beamdog client app like steam has? I don't see a Mac client on the site just a windows one.

There's no mac client, just a downloader/updater. Works just like Blizzard's downloaders.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
Yup, I wrote a guide on here and the BG:EE forums on how to do it. Should work with Mac version as well.

It's surreal how high level spells that don't even exist in BG1 work seamlessly after importing a BG2 character. There are some exceptions. If you cast "Wish" the djinn just kind of hangs around without speaking. Funny how the "slayer" icon carries over too. Tried using it but there's just a pretty light show without any transformation :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.